[REMOVE ADS]

Fantastic Four question

Does anybody know who played bass on the Fantastic Four Westbound albums?
    I have Alvin Stone and there are no musician credits on the back cover.

Thanx in advance

Hi Kevin!

On "Night People" it reads: "Actors: Allena Robinson, Sharon Duke, Donald Duke, Vern Luedeman, Carole Luedeman, Marion Lampkin, Carol Burns, Onita J. Sanders, Terry Mendelson, Bernie Mendelson, Richard King, Willie Clay and Brad Gussin", so I guess one of them is the bass player. Produced by Al Kent and "A Tom Moulton Mix", so perhaps he knows.

On "Got To Have Your Love" it only reads "thanks to all the great Detroit Musicians involved in these recordings"; again, A Tom Moulton Mix.

On "B.Y.O.F." there's nothing; produced by Dennis Coffey, so he should know.

Best regards
    Heikki

Sadly the musicians get no credit, but I note that the backing vocalists did get their due recognition, including The Andantes, Joyce and Pamela Vincent and Telma Hopkins...

Kind of a strange line-up there. I noticed the name "Bernie Mendelson" The only guy I knew with that name was Armon Boladian's promo guy. I'd guess Babbitt was playing bass. The only reason I think that is the fact that Al Kent was the producer. I'd bet that none of the names in the above post are musicians playing on the record. More like friends getting a "Night People" nod of some sort.
    Last edited by ralpht; 01-26-2013 at 11:08 AM.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  21.1 KB
    Exactly. Dennis would be the man to ask. He ran the session. Tom likely only did a re-mix a few years later.

While listening to them the other day, Bettye said it sounded like it could have been her bassist from The Fun Company, Don Hatcher...who later went on to sing in Undisputed Truth.

I'm still guessing Babbitt.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    I'm still guessing Babbitt.
Views: 277
    I'd guess Babbitt, too, as Dennis was mostly teaming up with him on bass during that time.

Yeah, the time seems just right, Robb.

I was thinking it was either Michael Henderson or Tony Newton. Wasn't Babbitt in Philly by this period?

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    I was thinking it was either Michael Henderson or Tony Newton. Wasn't Babbitt in Philly by this period?
Views: 233
    Didn't Babbitt still play on sessions in Detroit even after playing on Philly sessions for a few years [[in the mid '70s)?