[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    I think of the lesser known Tempts songs:
    "Paradise"
    "Dream Come True"
    "Heavenly"
    "1990"
    "All I Need"

...those five rank up there with some of my favorites from the guys in the most famous lineups of the group.

I've always liked "I Want A Love I Can See" by the Original Temptations. It was sort of doo-wop and they were just very creative with their ad libs etc on that record.

Marv, you want doo-wop, I 'll give you Doo-wop......jeez these guys were better than good.......another cut before David got in the group.....Elbridge Bryant hitting those notes just behind Eddie.....dam classic song.......more later......Paul and Eddie were just supremely excellent....

Ahh , now that was a good one! I remember Jerry Blavat of Philly playing it on his shows and "Frantic" Ernie Durham playing it in Detroit. Doo Wop heaven.......! Sang it!

Quote Originally Posted by paladin View Post
    Marv, you want doo-wop, I 'll give you Doo-wop......jeez these guys were better than good.......another cut before David got in the group.....Elbridge Bryant hitting those notes just behind Eddie.....dam classic song.......more later......Paul and Eddie were just supremely excellent....

Kdub, now you're talking. Pure, uncut talent. That's what the Tempts were, Eddie, Al, Melvin, Otis and Paul!

Marv as others have noted to appreciate the talent of The Temptations, one must be familiar with their B sides and hidden gems found on their many albums. Heres one from my youth that used to give me brain cramps,because it would stay in my head all day and it was very difficult to get it out. I also liked their subtle jab at "The Beatles" in this song and glad they stayed away from it........

I wrote on another web site years ago about the Temptations and the question I asked was simple: Did The Temptations Kill Doo-wop ? It was based on their effortless transition away from songs like Baby, I Need You, Love I can See, Slow Down Heart, Dream Come True etc.....into the pop and soul sounding cuts like The Way You Do The Things You Do, Its Growing, My Girl.....after They recorded "The Way You Do The Things You Do" and the subsequent success of My Girl....I really can't recall another doo-wop piece by anyone. Although I'm sure their were some, maybe The Temps did indeed end one era of soul music and began another......just thoughts at large from a Temptation Fan.......

*****note The Temptations did return years later with an example of what they used to do with the classic "I Aint got Nothing" and you could bet that The Flamingos were like WTF ?

In a way, this question is like asking me "Which child of yours is your favorite?"
    They are all my favorites.
    All my kids
    All the temptations songs

edafan

Folks seem to forget that the temps patterned themselves after the flamingos and were called the latter day flamingos,oh and by the way the great[baby,baby i need you] was recorded with david not al!

Sorry Jai, I'm afraid you're dead wrong on that one. David was with the group by the time it was released but alas he wasn't on it. You can take that to the bank. My bank of course not yours.....

Kdub

sorry jai, i'm afraid you're dead wrong on that one. David was with the group by the time it was released but alas he wasn't on it. You can take that to the bank. My bank of course not yours.....

Kdub
    hey paladin,you don't want to challenge me on the temps[trust me on this]i hope you got a fat bank account[hehe]baby,baby i need you was recorded in[1964]by which time al was long gone,don't believe me ask ralph.

Ok,ok i stand corrected it was recorded in[63]with al,i guess i'd better check my bank account.....aggghhhhhhgggghhhhhh!!!!!!!!

No problem Jai. On that other site I referred to I was called The Sixth Temptation. That name was given to me by members, in fact The Dells wanted me to drop the name and roll with them.

I try to be as accurate as possible, I stay away from gossip threads because I cant learn anything. There are some educators who look in on this forum for information and share what we write in the classroom. Plus quite a few artists and their representatives "lurk" around here all the time and I'll be the last person to post a falsehood or misleading information about them. I have too much respect for them, myself and you too !

Some may think I'm to serious, but I've met quite a few of these people we talk about on a daily basis and they are as sensitive as anyone else. I could tell you about the horror stories I've heard. So normally if I cant say something good about a person, I ain't talking about them at all.

I read an opinion about one of our former members today, it was poorly written and self serving. I know that the author was trying to be complimentary but he failed miserably. I am still steaming over what he wrote as I write this, dam shame.

So when the check clears I'll let ya know..........

no problem jai. On that other site i referred to i was called the sixth temptation. That name was given to me by members, in fact the dells wanted me to drop the name and roll with them.

I try to be as accurate as possible, i stay away from gossip threads because i cant learn anything. There are some educators who look in on this forum for information and share what we write in the classroom. Plus quite a few artists and their representatives "lurk" around here all the time and i'll be the last person to post a falsehood or misleading information about them. I have too much respect for them, myself and you too !

Some may think i'm to serious, but i've met quite a few of these people we talk about on a daily basis and they are as sensitive as anyone else. I could tell you about the horror stories i've heard. So normally if i cant say something good about a person, i ain't talking about them at all.

I read an opinion about one of our former members today, it was poorly written and self serving. I know that the author was trying to be complimentary but he failed miserably. I am still steaming over what he wrote as i write this, dam shame.

So when the check clears i'll let ya know..........
    haaaaaa,paladin i'm always man enough to say i'm wrong even about the classic temps and as i tell the young folks you're never too old to learn as i learned today,thank you for teaching me something that i thought i knew,oh about that check...good luck..hehehehehehehehe...you da man!!!

Jai can a brother get a bottle of Hooch instead......???????

The Temptations definitely patterned themselves after the Flamingos. As for them "killing doo-wop"? No I doubt that. They kept it alive but it was under the "soul music" tag. Same with Marvin. They had doo-wop in their blood. If anything the record industry killed that genre's commercial presence. Doo-wop still lives.