[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    THERE'S A DEFINITE CHANGE IN YOU
    don't know why, except that's soooo good!

JB

topdiva1 Guest
    I played some of the lessor known album cuts - and I must say

A Taste of Honey - sung by the late Eddie Kendricks - on the Temptations In A Mellow Mood album is simply

OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rest in peace - Eddie!!!!!!

You are loved and missed!

I love Taste of Honey on this album as well as Live at Copa, but this cut which precedes both is not often talked about but Eddie Kendricks with an able assist from Paul [[listen closely) and the Temptations impeccable harmonies make this one of my favorite live sides. They are simply brilliant:

"A Taste of Honey" sung by Eddie was a classic in my opinion. I believe they recorded it again with the Supremes some time later. Love the Tempts version.

You guys should know that once i start on the temps i have to keep coming back[hehe]now have any of you tempaholics out there noticed the powerful blending of paul and dennis voices of the vastly underrated[i need your lovin]?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hp42G...ayer_embedded#!

Just My Imagination - I see 6 Temptations: Richard Street, Melvin Franklin, Otis Williams, Glenn Leonard, David Ruffun and Dennis Edwards. Eddie of course leads, David sings his one liner "Everyday on my knees I pray...". The venue seems to be Hollywood Palace.
    When was this recorded/broadcasted and how come Davis & Eddie sing with a Tempts formation after they left the group?

Um robbert there are seven temps this was done during the reunion in 1982 when eddie and david returned for a short time!

Man Robbert you have it ALL wrong! LOL! As arrr&bee said, this performance in the clip is from 1982. The Hollywood Palace went off the air in 1970. There are seven Temptations here as it was their one and only Reunion Tour that year. David Ruffin is singing the late Paul Williams line "Every NIGHT on my knees I pray........" The program from which this clip was taken was "Solid Gold" a popular American Music program that ran from roughly 1979 to 1987.

When I was a young man, I'd frequent Detroit and Toledo and this was one of those songs that always remind me of the time I spent there with my Aunts and Uncles........from Dorr St To Reynolds Rd....oh yeah The Temptations......

Ahh, Paul Williams! Brings goose pimples [[bumps) every time I hear it.

Look what I found... someone says in a comment it's the track with David's lead, but I hear a complete alternate lead vocal... am I right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96iSh...ayer_embedded#!

The Tempts' Grapevine sounds a bit underproduced to my ears. Norman Whitfield could put down masterpieces like Runaway Child, Law of the Land and Papa... this Grapevine seems to be just an excercise for what was to come.

@robbert, yes you are and there is another one with The Temptations backgrounds on the Love Songs LP.....

@robbert, "Grapevine" doesn't sound under produced to me if there is such a thing ", unlike other Whitfield compositions where they sound very, similar, [[ Undisputed Truth/Gladys & Pips) this tune served to highlight the individual tonal quality of the different leads/ background & choral like compositions . Yes it was a portent of things to come and I'm glad Norman was in charge of their transition.

Once again the genius of Norman Whitfield was boundless, here in this tune he is dealing with the Temptations loss of Dennis Edwards, Ali Woodson steps in and blows the doors of this tune. This was his debut song with The Temptations on their "Back 2 Basics" album and its the only one that I know that was released with both Dennis and Ali doing lead vocals. I'm pretty sure those are musicians from Rose Royce on this track hence the similarity in sound, but what a marvelous track it is......

Quote Originally Posted by tamla617 View Post
    rovereab
    i meant why wasnt "dont let the joneses get you down" not on any album 'cept for g/hits and comps.

i had brain failure!
    I have it on the Puzzle People album. Is that not what your asking or I have misunderstood your question ?

sorry
    it was ball of confusion [[very apt)
    this wasn't on any temptations album APART FROM greatest hits,retrospectives and comps. does anybody know why?

Just playin Your Not An Ordinary girl..again, AFTER My Baby, I aint Got Nothin, Gonna Keep On Tryin, I Want A Love I Can See, Superstar, Since I Lost My Baby, A World Of You Love And Music, Darling Stand By Me, My Girl, Please Return Your Love To Me, Ball Of Confusion, Love Woke Me Up This Morning, Smiling Faces Sometimes, Dream Come True, Get Ready, Treat Her Like A Lady, Jus My Imagination, Memories, A Song For You, The Joneses, Take A Look Around, I Could Never Love Another, Law of The Land...DAMN..WHOEVER CAME UP WITH THE IDEA OF A 5 C.D.BOX SET WITH FAAAB BOOKLET KEEPING ME AWAKE, AT THIS TIME OF NIGHT, WITH SOME OF THE BEST MUSIC EVER, EVER MADE . Now thankyou, Temps, can I PLEASE get some sleep now? Got to work tomorrow so I get to come home and boogie to Aint Too Proud To BEG, making dinner b4 my Soulmate gets home....Paulo XXX

phyl Guest
    my famvorite temptatins song is get ready thats a horny song i lvoe t he temepateison they were horny looking men who coudl sing the shit out of a song.

topdiva1 Guest
    The Tempatations have so many great songs as you all know - it is so hard to pick just one.

@Tamla617, one of the great mysteries of Motown, however it is on a recent re-release CD Sky's The Limit as a hidden gem. Currently being used in promos for Detroit 187, this records shelf life is simply amazing.......another thing I never realized that "Just My Imagination" was written in 1969 and then shelved....alledgedly because the Tempts hit psychedelic songs were at the top of the charts

Name:  600px-Scan010.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  36.8 KB

If I had to pick a record that defined soul for me it would be Ruffin singing What Now My Love.

Quote Originally Posted by paladin View Post
    @Tamla617, one of the great mysteries of Motown, however it is on a recent re-release CD Sky's The Limit as a hidden gem. Currently being used in promos for Detroit 187, this records shelf life is simply amazing.......another thing I never realized that "Just My Imagination" was written in 1969 and then shelved....alledgedly because the Tempts hit psychedelic songs were at the top of the charts

Name:  600px-Scan010.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  36.8 KB
    Paladin/Kev, thanks for that picture sleeve. We use to have that at home when I was a kid. Didn't it include the lyrics on the reverse side?

Thats Kdub to you Bub ? Since this is the second time that you've referred to me as Kev....grrrrrr........just meet me at the intersection of Dorr and Reynolds Rd and we can settle this! lol.....

Thats Kdub to you Bub ? Since this is the second time that you've referred to me as Kev....grrrrrr........just meet me at the intersection of Dorr and Reynolds Rd and we can settle this! lol.....

Woops, Sorry Kdub. You know when you guys changed your names, it was hard keeping up with you.

Come on! Ain't nobody scurred........ I'll meet ya up there Thanksgiving Weekend and we can take it over to Rogers H.S. if you wont...... LOL!!

Well you know Southwyck Mall is gone now, right?

Favourite Temptations song

There are a fair number for me:

Ain't no justice - I just love the power and the force of those lyrics

Masterpiece - Norman Whitfield at his very best

Runaway child, running wild - this was my first encounter with such a long and emotive track. I just love this, and reminds me of my childhood in Nottingham

Dam its gone ? I think Big Sexxee or my Aunt and Uncles told me about it a couple weeks ago ! Knowing you Marv, you probably know members of my family........they did have interesting reputations all over Toledo, ............hmmmmm.....they were all named "Williams" with the exception of the oldest son, his name was "Tabb".........he and my uncle "Bud Curry" really thought they could hoop.....lol......

There are too many Temptations songs to love... Here are a few of my favorites: My Baby [[David Ruffin really sings this song), Fading Away, You're My Everything, I Can't Get Next To You, Heavenly, Firefly, Aiming At Your Heart, Memories, 1990, Everything for Christmas, Masterpiece, Power, You've Got to Earn It, Girl [[Why You Wanna Make Me Blue). I could go on and on

@blkfrost....most of us could, not only is their catolog extensive, the brothers were good..........real good.

Dam its gone ? I think Big Sexxee or my Aunt and Uncles told me about it a couple weeks ago ! Knowing you Marv, you probably know members of my family........they did have interesting reputations all over Toledo, ............hmmmmm.....they were all named "Williams" with the exception of the oldest son, his name was "Tabb".........he and my uncle "Bud Curry" really thought they could hoop.....lol......
    Kdub, I bet I do [[know some of your family, we know everyone! LOL!) I Bigsexxee's sister very well and for many years. Kdub, I will ask my cousin John in Toledo as he is always the go to guy to help me and everyone reconnect with folks back there. Thanks man.

Kdub, yep, they tore down Southwyck Mall either late last year or early this year. It only opened in 1973. That's where I went to see "Cleopartra Jones" hehehehe. Toledo has a habit of tearing down buildings that have not been vacant very long. They'd tear you down if you stood still long enough over there! LOL!

Here is one that a definite favorite of mine, "Message From A Black Man" -1969:

Message from a Black Man was The Temptations at the top of their game.

phyl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Kdub, yep, they tore down Southwyck Mall either late last year or early this year. It only opened in 1973. That's where I went to see "Cleopartra Jones" hehehehe. Toledo has a habit of tearing down buildings that have not been vacant very long. They'd tear you down if you stood still long enough over there! LOL!
    i ussed to go to that amll to buy cloths fo r jeannie when she was a litltle girl we had some good timmes there.

cheers paladin.is that version,the bonus track, a different mix?

Good question and I cant check right now but I will later, I do own a different mix though, I think it from their Psychedelic two fer...lol....

This is harder than pulling hens teeth.
    But I'll run with "Since I lost my baby" because of that unbeatable harmony.
    But I'd be totally dishonest if I didn't include "My Girl", the greatest love song of all time.

An absolutely superb song. great music, lyrics, vocals, musicianship, and production.

If only there were artists like Norman Whitfield, Curtis Mayfield, James Brown, and Sly Stone etc around today, instead of the jokers who are currently lauded as stars.

You know gang there is a song that almost never gets mentioned when talking about the temps even though it's a b-side it's a gem,i'm talking about the seldom mentioned flip side to-my girl...the cool eddie kendricks lead-talking bout nobody but my baby..how cool is this gem?

Jai, thats one of the songs I refer to as Temptations "Roots" music. This song is indeed one of my several hundred favorites and as with many Motown artists, the "B" sides almost certainly gave you as much pleasure as the A side. The Miracles and Mary Wells immediately jump to ones mind. Moreover since you brought it up, I'd also like to mention their cut "I Couldn't Cry, If I Wanted To" led by the dynamic Paul Williams, which if memory serves was the "B" side to I Know, I'm Losing You".

Recorded prior to David Ruffin joining the group only to be released years later. Eddie and Elbridge Bryants backing vocals were stellar and of course Melvin held the bottom while Otis floated along the top.

jai, thats one of the songs i refer to as temptations "roots" music. This song is indeed one of my several hundred favorites and as with many motown artists, the "b" sides almost certainly gave you as much pleasure as the a side. The miracles and mary wells immediately jump to ones mind. Moreover since you brought it up, i'd also like to mention their cut "i couldn't cry, if i wanted to" led by the dynamic paul williams, which if memory serves was the "b" side to i know, i'm losing you".

Recorded prior to david ruffin joining the group only to be released years later. Eddie and elbridge bryants backing vocals were stellar and of course melvin held the bottom while otis floated along the top.

paladin,you must be as old as me[smile]i couldn't cry is-da bomb you have started something now you know i'm gonna dig through my temps collection for hidden gems,hehe stay tuned...paladin you da man!!!

This has got to be one of the hardest questions to answer I have ever seen on the forum. There are 10 songs I can think of but one Ruffin lead that grabs me is Sorry is a Sorry Word I can listen to that song all day its one of my favorites when he says "remember me" I think the arrangement is different and just catchy. People are mentioning the classics and I love them all but from the 70s my favorite is Masterpiece, I know its a poor mans version of Papa was a Rolling Stone but it is more dramatic in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    This has got to be one of the hardest questions to answer I have ever seen on the forum. There are 10 songs I can think of but one Ruffin lead that grabs me is Sorry is a Sorry Word I can listen to that song all day its one of my favorites when he says "remember me" I think the arrangement is different and just catchy. People are mentioning the classics and I love them all but from the 70s my favorite is Masterpiece, I know its a poor mans version of Papa was a Rolling Stone but it is more dramatic in my opinion.
    Hi Stephanie, how are you? I did want a topic that would cause people to think as well as one that would be enjoyable across the board.

Man, what a tough question. Usually I'd reach straight for "Get Ready", but there are so many others that could be my favourite on any given day... "[[You're My) Dream Come True", "I Know I'm Losing You", "Just My Imagination"...

Actually, one of my absolute favourites that no-one's mentioned yet [[unless I've missed it) is the B-side to "Just My Imagination", their cover of the Velvelettes' "I'm The Exception To The Rule" which slows the song down to half speed and adds a gigantic kettledrum, as well as one of Eddie's last great performances with the group:

Hey, do you guys remember these Temptations? [[Melvin Franklin, Glen Carl Leonard, Richard Street, Louis Price and Otis Williams). They were together for a relatively short time from 1977-79 and recorded for Atlantic Records.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    hey, do you guys remember these temptations? [[melvin franklin, glen carl leonard, richard street, louis price and otis williams). They were together for a relatively short time from 1977-79 and recorded for atlantic records.

haaaaaa,heck yeah and i always like to mention that the album that spawned[in a lifetime]-hear to temp you was one of the temps best and don't forget the fantastic melvin lead-i could never stop loving you!!

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    this has got to be one of the hardest questions to answer i have ever seen on the forum. There are 10 songs i can think of but one ruffin lead that grabs me is sorry is a sorry word i can listen to that song all day its one of my favorites when he says "remember me" i think the arrangement is different and just catchy. People are mentioning the classics and i love them all but from the 70s my favorite is masterpiece, i know its a poor mans version of papa was a rolling stone but it is more dramatic in my opinion.
    hey steph what's up,you hit the nail on the head[sorry is a sorry word]has some of the coolest lyrics in motown history and nobody could deliver em like david!

You know gang i've always felt that the temps 80's body of work in most cases was as good as anything they did but maybe it was the times because they didn't sell as many records but man was a menu...lady soul-lucky-do you wanna go with me-look what you started-to be continued-the best of both worlds-evil woman-aiming at your heart-love on my mind tonight...these songs are all temptin[hehe]!!

Yes I remember those Tempts, Louis Price hails from Chicago. Two of my faves from them during this period were Ever Ready Love and "I Just Dont Know How To Let You Go'....more on them later but .......when they came back to Motown with Dennis in Tow...this was one of those performances that I'll never forget......The Tempts were back with a vengence......Dennis does a mean Richard Nixon and the fellas step like no others...whew what a workout.........

Betcha even Obama likes this one........

yes i remember those tempts, louis price hails from chicago. Two of my faves from them during this period were ever ready love and "i just dont know how to let you go'....more on them later but .......when they came back to motown with dennis in tow...this was one of those performances that i'll never forget......the tempts were back with a vengence......dennis does a mean richard nixon and the fellas step like no others...whew what a workout.........

Betcha even obama likes this one........

oh yeah-power,and what a great album berry put together for thier return to motown,the power lp is in a word-great,how about the powerful[struck by lightning twice]or the magnificent[shadow of your love]..i've always felt that this temps lineup was second only to the classic temps of-eddie,david and paul.

I saw this the night it was on television , "The Midnight Special". We had a dorm party. I bought the album shortly afterwards . This is first time that I'm realizing that some of the lyrics refer to Jim Jones and that massacre. WOW!