[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What Was Your Favorite Temptations Song and Why?

Since this is the Motown Section and we're suppose to be about the music [[at least officially, hehehehe....) What was your favorite Temptations song and if you have a reason for it being your favorite, I'd love to hear about it.

Here is mine: "Please Return Your Love to Me" from 1968

1. Marv since you didn't give a reason, it don't count, plus you infringed upon my personal copyright of that song.......

2. Since their catalog is so vast, I will probably post one song a day for the next month and you better not say a word.....

3. And its because I have favorites by all 438 Temptations...........

4. oh forgetaboutit!

This record is self explanatory.....

Paladin, I was going to ,but my brother called me from Detroit right in the middle of me starting this thread LOL!

My reasons for chosing "Please Return Your Love to Me" as my favorite includes the lyrics, they just sound like something sincere that a guy would say to his woman to try to win her back. Also, Eddie's vocals, his plea was darn near religious hehehehehe. You know what I'm saying, he was singing it like he was in church and all the Temptations can clearly be heard supporting him all through the song. The way he repeats "I'm a lonely one, I'm a lonely one, I'm a lonely one, I'm just a loooonnnely onnnee......!!! Was expert! A great technique to add as much soul and feeling to the song as possible.

This song invokes memories for me of that winter, where I lived and the people that were close to me at that time. I was too young to understand truly what the song meant, but the way it sounded and they way they sung it stuck with me all these years.
    Last edited by marv2; 09-29-2010 at 01:41 AM.

Now Kev/Paladin, you listed the "other" favorite song from the Tempts for me. No kidding, I had to decide which one to go with and you picked my 1st runner up. You can say what you want, but the Temptations is MY GROUP exclusively at least ever since my Dad brought home that "Greatest Hits" album with the blue cover way back in 1966! LOL! He was playing their 45's when I was just crawling on the floor! But I am generous, I'll let you and others like them too, ok?

Now, "Since I Lost My Baby" was one of the songs that all the cool dudes in the neighborhood tried to sing acapella.

It's cool, you can post a song a day by the Tempts, but as long as you justify why it is good and why it deserves to be here. ok?

Marv

Thats easy, "Run Charlie Run"....... NOT!!!

Hard to narrow down but if I were to pick one I'd go with "It's Growing"

Just about anything on the first four discs of the "Emperors of Soul" boxed set. Most of the box has the 45 RPM mono single versions.

It's difficult to pick a favorite because there are so many, but one that does come to mind was the unreleased "That'll Be The Day." When I first heard that song, it instantly became a favorite of mine. I played it numerous times in a row. I think the reason why I love it so much has to do that it really fits in with their big hits. I have no idea why it wasn't released as a single because it certainly would have been a huge hit for them. I guess it's one of those songs that leaves you to wonder how they ever let it slip through the cracks. It's too good of a song to have been left in the vaults.

Good choice Glenpwood. I always dug the moves they did to "It's Growing" and David is in such fine voice, clear as a bell and restrained.

Soulster, you're copping out on me. You know that just about everything on that box set was great, but come on. Give it a shot. Tell us your favorite ONE. I know its hard, but just between us,which song would be the only one you could take with you to wherever?

Brad, I don't think I ever heard "That'll Be The Day." [[but I am going to now go find it).

Here's a working link to "Please Return Your Love to Me":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjINF...eature=related

Some days it is Isn't She Pretty; others Dream Come True; sometimes I'm Losing You; sometimes Take A Look Around.

Lyrics to Please Return Your Love To Me :
    [Words in parentheses are by the entire group.
    Others are lead singer Eddie Kendricks.]

[[Please return your love to me, girl)
    [[Forgive me for the wrong I've done)

And, oh, baby
    I cry myself to sleep at night
    For fear of a-never holdin' you tight at all, baby [[whoa, baby)
    I miss ya more with each passin' day
    Every night on my knees I pray
    Oh, oh, baby [[please)

[Chorus:]
    [[Return your love to me, girl)
    [[Forgive me for the wrong I've done
    [[Without your love, I'm just no good)
    [[For I am just a lonely boy)

I'm sorry for the wrong I've done
    Now I know how it feels to lose that special someone [[whoa, baby)
    I need you more than words can say
    Without your love I can't face another day
    Oh, [[please)

[[I am just a lonely one)

Oh, no, no-o-o-o, babe

If there's a heav'n above you'll be my one and only love [[and, oh, baby)
    I can't control the glow in me
    Girl, come on and an' see about me

[[Oh, ple-ea-ease)

I'm a lonely one
    I'm a lonely one
    I'm a lonely one
    I'm just a lonelyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy onnnnnnnnnnnnne [[I am just a)

[Fade]
    [[Please, return your love to me, girl)

Today it's that one, I love this dreamy feeling...

Each day through my window I watch her as she passes by.
    I say to myself, "You're such a lucky guy."
    To have a girl like her
    is truly a dream come true.
    Out of all of the fellas in the world
    she belongs to you...

But it was just my imagination
    running away with me.
    It was just my imagination
    running away with me...

Ooh-hoo-hoo-hooh
    Soon we'll be married..
    and raise a family.
    In a cozy, little home out in the country
    with two children, maybe three.
    I tell you, I can visualize it all.
    This couldn't be a dream for too real it all seems.

But it was just my imagination -- once again --
    running away with me.
    I tell you it was just my imagination
    running away with me...

Every night, on my knees I pray,
    "Dear Lord, hear my plea...
    don't ever let another take her love from me
    or I will surely die.."
    Ooh, her love is heavenly;
    when her arms enfold me,
    I hear a tender rhapsody...
    but in reality, she doesn't even know me

Just my imagination -- once again --
    running away with me.
    Tell you it was just my imagination
    running away with me.
    I never met her, but I can't forget her.
    Just my imagination..
    -- ooh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah --
    running away with me

One of the best David/Eddie collabs ever, reminds me of House Partys and Blue Lights in the basement ......

Like millions of others, I enjoy many songs by the Temptations [[original lineup- through Dennis Edwards). However, my favorite song by this group is:

TREAT HER LIKE LADY

This songs makes me feel good everytime I hear it. Great song.

jonc Guest
    Just My Imagination. The lyrics move me like no other.

I Ain't Got Nothin'

this is hard thing to pick marv!

i could have gone for any of the above and cloud nine but i'm going for one of the least played temptations hits [[uk anyway)

TAKE A LOOK AROUND.1972 also on solid rock lp.

i

Gonna Keep On trying, til I win your love. Eddie at his best..Paulo XXX

RossHolloway Guest
    What a Difference A Day Makes. Listening to this song after a couple of drinks at night with love in my heart just melts me. It's so beautifully done.

skooldem......YES!!!!!!

This one. It's remained my fav ever since I heard it in '66 and fits what's happening in my life at present. [[I Know) I'm Losing You.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWr_F4Gg8sY

Jimbagley, that is deep and I'm not just talking about Melvin Franklin's voice.

I quite often dig out A World, Of You Love & Music from HOUSE PARTY. Makes me boogie round doin the housework..Paulo XXX

Tamla617, it was a hard choice for me as well. "Cloud Nine" is definitely a favorite with "Runaway Child [[Running Wild) being even a bigger favorite. Both songs were great and hold a lot of memories for me. Here's a clip of them doing a bit of "Take A Look Around" on television:

Paulo, that , "Going to Keep On Tryin' " was Eddie at his best. It might as well been a solo.
    Last edited by marv2; 09-29-2010 at 05:07 PM.

copley, you picked one of the heavy hitters. I have never heard anyone else be able to do "[[I Know) I'm Losing You like the Classic 5 of the Temptations. Not even later incarnations of the group could quite sing it like David, Eddie, Melvin, Otis and Paul.

This is too easy,many times i've stated that my fav from the temptin ones is a little ditti from[1964]entitled-girl[why you wanna make me blue]this one just grabs you from the snaredrum opening to the magnificent blending of high notes on the title verse..this song is a killer-diller[hehehehe]and it just may be my favorite soul song of all time..as kids we used to go into the local sandwich shop and pop a quarter into the jukebox and everybody would move to this gem..i've always viewed this song as norman whitfield's best[yes i know he had bigger hits with the temps]but this song always holds it's own...i love you girl with all my heart and soul,i can't understand why you treat me cold your every wish girl is my command,and that's why i can't seem to understand why,girl,girl ,girl why you wanna make me blue!!!!!!

Ross Holloway, we are in the same ball park. That is one beautiful record..........and so was this: Ali Woodson being a Temptation ! Theo Peoples.......this video makes me so sad and happy at the same time.....

My Temptations favorite: "[[Loneliness Made Me Realize) It's You That I Need"

I never tire of the singles from 1966 through 1968. I also prefer the singles pre-1966 over the psychedelic era post-1968. And I just don't like "Just My Imagination".

I agree with Rob that "Isn't She Pretty" is great.

Of the songs released in the CD era I love "Truly Yours" [[David) from Motown Sings Motown Treasures and "I Now See You Clear Through My Eyes" [[Paul) from Lost & Found.

I Could Never Love Another. The great build up with the tapping sound, the Detroit Symphony playing thoes great strings and David Ruffin - soulful voice and the high notes that he hits.

Perfection

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gytmVi-Wh5w

Night and Day! It was my favorite for years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJcUFk8wGP4

When Dennis took a song and sang it better than David!

I bit surprised that no one as of yet mentioned the Tempts 1980 version of "Silent Night" which is a perennial radio favorite for nearly 30 years during the holidays.

"All I Need"
    "You're My Everything"
    "Psychedelic Shack"

And yes..."Silent Night"
    oh, almost forgot "I'll Be In Trouble"

topcat

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 810
Size:  21.1 KB
    Hard to pick just one. Here are my top 5:

1. A Tear From A Woman's Eye
    2. My Girl
    3. Since I Lost My Baby
    4. Girl, Why You Wanna Make Me Blue
    5. Mind Over Matter [[as The Pirates)

topcat, "I'll Be In Trouble" was my favorite Temptations song back in the 60's. I would skip all the songs on "Greatest Hits" to hear that one.

Marv- "Silent Night" was on my mind. That is one of my faves. I always say, it aint Christmas until I hear that song. My other Tempt song is "Papa was a rolling stone".

What an unfair question!

This is Eddie's tenor at its best sweetly blowing quintessential Motown. The song marks the milestone of when I first became a fan of the Tempts. We were 11/12 years old singing our natural butts off on the street corners & stoops while trying to do the Temptation Walk. This was the beginning of a long sweet ride. There are so many others that could easily be the fav, but this is the one for me.

Skooldem! That's right! I know in Detroit [[and Toledo), they would start to play it every year at the end of November signaling the start of the Christmas Season. It has now become a classic, a tradition up there with all the old popular Christmas recordings.

But how about a little "Papa Was A Rolling Stone"?

topdiva1 Guest
    Standing On The Top - cause the words are so true.

why wasnt runaway child not included on any album [[except geatest hits,comps etc)

tamla617 - Runaway Child is included in the Cloud Nine album.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_N...tions_album%29

Many of you have mentioned how unfair a question as to your favorite song, well they did have a hell of a lot, but as far as my favorite Temptation; here he is..........in complete melancholy mode singing one of my favorite Tempt tracks from my youth....you really didn't have to lose your lover to feel the pain in this song.......the late and great Mr. Paul Williams

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by paladin View Post
    Many of you have mentioned how unfair a question as to your favorite song, well they did have a hell of a lot, but as far as my favorite Temptation; here he is..........in complete melancholy mode singing one of my favorite Tempt tracks from my youth....you really didn't have to lose your lover to feel the pain in this song.......the late and great Mr. Paul Williams

You gotta love Paul Williams - and what a blessing to have Paul Williams Jr. performing with The Temptations Revue featuring Dennis Edwards.

Thanks for this post. Sometimes I forget how many masterpieces these guys produced! A very tough choice to pick one...but in third place the gorgeous "I Wish It Would Rain." First runner up, should the winner be unable to serve: Losing You. It's hard to match the power and joy in the vocals and instrumentation. But the winner is Papa Was A Rolling Stone. Breakthrough on so many levels... a Motown opera in terms of the instrumental track...features the glorious voices of all the guys. Listening to the instrumental track without the vocals is an amazing treat.

rovereab
    i meant why wasnt "dont let the joneses get you down" not on any album 'cept for g/hits and comps.

i had brain failure!

A side note if i may on[the girl's alright with me-1964]someone mentioned it earlier and for those of you with this song take a close listen to it,not so much for it's great lyrics but for the sheer greatness of eddie's voice,being and old first tenor myself i've sung this song and listened to a whole lot of first tenors records but i've said before and i'll say it again this is the greatest lead by a first tenor in soul music history!!

"Runaway Child, Running Wild"

NUFF SAID. That wasn't a song, that was a story lol

Man sometimes the Tempts would take you to church and make you wanna do the sanctified dance at the same time ! Eddie & Dennis really tear this up.....whoa ! I always wondered if this was originally meant for Paul & Eddie, but I guess we'll never know ?