[REMOVE ADS]

'Jeopardy' contestant guesses Diana passed in May

Last night [[Thursday, Jan. 10, 2013), there was a category about people who passed away in 2012.
    The answer was something like "Robin Gibb of The BeeGees and this Queen of Disco in May"

The first contestant guessed "Who is Whitney Houston?" Wrong. I believe she passed in February 2012.
    The second contestant guessed, "Who is Diana Ross?" Wrong. Wrong. WRONG!
    It kind of unnerved that people are that unaware. And these are supposed to be screened as "smart people"?

Quote Originally Posted by zani57 View Post
    The first contestant guessed "Who is Whitney Houston?" Wrong. I believe she passed in February 2012.
    It kind of unnerved that people are that unaware. And these are supposed to be screened as "smart people"?
    You know what? If the contestant was under 50, there's a very good chance they aren't obsessed Ross or Motown fans. Get used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by zani57 View Post
    Last night [[Thursday, Jan. 10, 2013), there was a category about people who passed away in 2012.
    The answer was something like "Robin Gibb of The BeeGees and this Queen of Disco in May"

Blame her parents, not her.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    You know what? If the contestant was under 50, there's a very good chance they aren't obsessed Ross or Motown fans. Get used to it.
    Like you and marv?

That is a very good point. Sifting through comments on the Huffington Post, there were several that thought Diana Ross was in her late 80's!

I asked a soul fan in his late 20s recently if he knew names The Supremes or Diana Ross or Motown. He didnt. But he knew a number of the Supremes songs.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I asked a soul fan in his late 20s recently if he knew names The Supremes or Diana Ross or Motown. He didnt. But he knew a number of the Supremes songs.
    Diana Who?!

There are more important things to be worried about, like grown adults thinking that South America is an eastern nation, or that Europe is a country:

smark21 Guest
    Many of the smart people I know in my day to day life aren’t all that into popular culture. At most they’re casual fans of something or another, but they have other interests in life that engage their intelligence and feel more worthy of their time for their knowledge base. Viva La Difference.

I do remember checking Twitter comments on the Diana Ross performance on Christmas at Washington and there were a number of tweets expressing surprise she was still alive and complimenting how good she looked and sounded for being over 70 years old. Others noticed that Ross was trending and asked if she had just died as they couldn’t understand why else she was trending. She’s an old star now who hasn’t done much of anything in years. She has a decent sized loyal following and she can create a little bit of a buzz on the gossip columns for things like the LaScala incident. And awareness of Ross may be heightened momentarily a little bit in the towns where she does a concert. But her star has faded from where it used to be. It happens to all old stars to one degree or another. It may not be right or acceptable, but that’s how it is.

Slow news day.

marybrewster how was the first Lado of Motown Records Dr Martha Reeves last night? I've been waiting for reviews or photo all day today.

Thank you in advance.

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Slow news day.
    Not only slow but it seems people here are BORED out of their minds just to come up with another lame Supremes topic. Seriously, I almost wanna say "the Supremes suck".

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Seriously, I almost wanna say "the Supremes suck".
    You just did!

Anybody wanna talk about Rick James or something?

You just did!

Anybody wanna talk about Rick James or something?
    They got help in sucking.

This board is degenerating, or, rather has degenerated into what the previous Motown forums were. Why do people have to be so nasty? Do you really get a thrill out of coming online and being trolls and trying to start yet-another flame war?
    What does a moderator do if not moderate?