[REMOVE ADS]

Sammy Johns- "Chevy Van," Dies at age 66

Sammy Johns, the man behind the 1975 hit "Chevy Van," has died at the age of 66. He passed on January 4 at a hospital in Gaston, North Carolina. The hit "Chevy Van," named by Rolling Stone magazine as the "Song of the Seventies," tells the story of a one-night stand that connected with fans. It sold three million copies, but was Johns' only big hit as a solo artist.

More Music and Entertainment News

I love "Chevy Van"! My favorite memory of it is hearing it on the afternoon school bus in the 7th grade.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    I love "Chevy Van"! My favorite memory of it is hearing it on the afternoon school bus in the 7th grade.
    That was a great song! I remember it well although I had not heard it in years........until this week. RIP Sammy.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    That was a great song! I remember it well although I had not heard it in years........until this week. RIP Sammy.
    The majority of music I play is oldies from the 60s and 70s, so I hear it all the time.

Gosh I was just thinking about this song yesterday! Oh man he was great. RIP

That was his one hit as an artist...he switched to country music not long afterward, and while his own singles didn't light up the charts, he did write a few chart-topping country singles, among them "Common Man" by John Conlee. RIP, Sammy, and thank you...

Best,

Mark