[REMOVE ADS]

Rock & Roll Hall of Fame - 2011 nominees announced!

Just this morning, the nominees for the class of 2011 were announced for induction into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

The nominees are:

- Neil Diamond
    - Alice Cooper
    - Laura Nyro
    - Donna Summer
    - Chic
    - Tom Waits
    - LL Cool J
    - The Beastie Boys
    - Joe Tex
    - The J. Geils Band
    - Darlene Love
    - Chuck Willis
    - Dr. John
    - Bon Jovi
    - Donovan

What do you think of the list?

Wow. Kiss isn't even on the list anymore. Nice.

A helluva lot better than some recent lists have been.

While Neil Diamond is not my favorite, his influence and popularity dwarfs almost every other member of the Hall and he needs to be there.

They are still leaving people off their list who had a great influence on American Culture but probably little influence on the people that make up the list.

My choices are:

- Neil Diamond
    - Laura Nyro
    - Donna Summer
    - Chic
    - Darlene Love
    - Bon Jovi

How did LL Cool J get on this list?!

topdiva1 Guest
    My choices are:

Laura Nyro, Neil Diamond, Dr. John, m Darlene Love and Donna Sumer. The Beastie Boys and LL Cool J. may be too soon.

They usually select 5 artists/groups to be inducted, however it's gone back and forth over the years. For the first two years, they were inducting up to 12-15 people. It wasn't until 1988 that they inducted 5 [[the Beatles, the Supremes, the Beach Boys, the Drifters and Bob Dylan.) That's been the standard however some years they'll induct up to 7, 8 or 9 groups. For some time it's been just 5, but I hope they make an exception this year.

A little disappointed that some artists/groups weren't nominated like Todd Rundgren, the Moody Blues, the Miracles, and Jimmy Webb [[although I would put him under non-performer.)

My picks would be:
    - Neil Diamond
    - Laura Nyro [[the most deserving to be inducted)
    - Donna Summer
    - Tom Waits
    - Alice Cooper
    - Joe Tex [[that's if they make an exception and induct 6)

I love Darlene Love, but I don't feel she should be inducted as a solo artist or as a performer. The majority of the recordings she did in the 60's were with the Blossoms including the recordings credited to the Crystals. I don't think it is right to single her out from the rest of the group [[ex. Smokey from the Miracles and Bruce from the E Street Band.) I think that if they were to induct her, it should be with the Blossoms or as sidemen/session singers [[for their work doing background vocals), but not as performers.

LL Cool J, the Beastie Boys and Bon Jovi can wait their turn. There are far more people who deserve to be in before them and it wouldn't hurt them to wait 5-10, even 20 years.

Well Joe Tex would top my list from these nominees.

Darlene Love
    Laura Nyro
    Joe Tex
    Chic

Definitely Laura Nyro

The fact that the Shangri-Las have again been ignored is crinminal.

what no Whitney Houston nomination? This should have been the year she finally qualifies....

Here's my shortlist of overlooked nominees...

The Carpenters
    Sade
    Chicago
    Heart
    Pat Benatar
    Olivia Newton John
    Janet Jackson
    Cyndi Lauper
    The Monkees
    Carly Simon

Is Petula Clark in?

I dont think they should be leaving her or Lesley Gore out.

To me they had far more impact than more than half the RnR's list. And they had influence like the Shangrilas but more hits.

Of course J. Geils Band trumps all those commercially appealing acts I mentioned with their great artistic achievement "Piss On The Wall...."

Oh my, I totally missed Petula, those Tony Hatch productions still sound fresh today and gets referenced via Amy Winehouse and Duffy..... She should be inducted stat!

Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    what no Whitney Houston nomination? This should have been the year she finally qualifies....

Here's my shortlist of overlooked nominees...

The Carpenters
    Sade
    Chicago
    Heart
    Pat Benatar
    Olivia Newton John
    Janet Jackson
    Cyndi Lauper
    The Monkees
    Carly Simon
    Yes, The Carpenters should DEFINITELY be in the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame. Same with Chicago and The Monkees.

In the early years, the nominations were so obvious.

Maybe now they think they need to steer away from the pop side of things - Chicago, Monkees, Carpenters and many of the R & B artists should be there.

the fact that Johnnie Taylor and Arthur "Big Boy" Crudup are not in the Rock Hall Of Fame is just mind-boggling. Out of this list I hope that Joe Tex and Chuck Willis make it in...

Colton

I believe LL Cool J, Donna Summers and Laura Nyro were on it last year, too.

This is a complex list this year, with some obvious choices, some not so obvious, and a couple that make you want to go "Why?". I've got 3 blog postings set for this mess, the first one is here:

http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/weblog...-are/#comments

The other two will be tomorrow and Thursday. I'll let you know when they're up.

pshark Guest
    Lets not forget Johnny Guitar Watson, Ohio Players, War, Tower Of Power, Doobie Brothers, Bar-Kays, Mothers Finest
    My choices are:
    Joe Tex is in for sure.
    Alice Cooper. His theatrics antics influenced many artists. Kiss & P-Funk for example.
    J Geils Band. Very energetic fun band.
    Can't for get about the good Dr John.
    Chic. Nile Rogers, nuff said.

I still think Mitch Ryder & the Detroit Wheels belong in the Hall. Same with Joe Cocker.

As for the Monkees--in and of themselves, maybe they belong in the Hall for their influential TV show, but NOT for songs they didn't play on. All the other parties involved in their success--Don Kirshner, the songwriters who wrote the songs, and the musicians that played on them--THEY are the real Hall of Famers!!

I'm in favor of all the nominees except Chic [[whom I never cared for), LL, the Beasties and Bon Jovi. And I agree that the latter three on that list should wait a little longer.

Best,

Mark

I like that they've included Bon Jovi [[they are of my generation),Neil Diamond [[ he should have been in a long time ago!), Donna Summer and Chic [[they were the sound of an ERA!), Alice Cooper [[Detroit boy) Laura Nyro [[one of the best songwriters ever) LL Cool J [[ he is from the town I currently live in.....Go Bay Shore! LOL), Joe Tex [[ so very underrated, so soulful).

Tom Waits, Donovan were one hit wonders in my book and should not go in the Hall before a host of others that have yet to be nominated. Beastie Boys, J.Geils Band [[they rock, but they are not ready yet) Go ahead and put Darlene in, she deserves it and Chuck Willis.

Just my opinion folks!

pshark Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I like that they've included Bon Jovi [[they are of my generation),Neil Diamond [[ he should have been in a long time ago!), Donna Summer and Chic [[they were the sound of an ERA!), Alice Cooper [[Detroit boy) Laura Nyro [[one of the best songwriters ever) LL Cool J [[ he is from the town I currently live in.....Go Bay Shore! LOL), Joe Tex [[ so very underrated, so soulful).

Tom Waits, Donovan were one hit wonders in my book and should not go in the Hall before a host of others that have yet to be nominated. Beastie Boys, J.Geils Band [[they rock, but they are not ready yet) Go ahead and put Darlene in, she deserves it and Chuck Willis.

Just my opinion folks!
    J Geils not ready? They've been around since 67.

Pshark, they are a magnificient band and Peter Wolf an excellent performer-songwriter. I loved Centerfold, Flamethrower, Lights Out, on and on and on. I just couldn't think of a more concrete reason to exclude them in 2011. If we all sat down and thought about the ones that are still not in yet, it would be are eye opener.

pshark Guest
    I hear you, but for the current nominees don't you think that they're more deserving than LL?

Well, I am probably not the best person to ask about whether or not LL should be in. I do actually live in his hometown of Bay Shore,NY and I know it would be a great boost of civic pride here if he were to get in.

pshark Guest
    I can respect that. I do like some of LL's stuff, but still would rather see other artists who's time is overdue.
    i remember him from the Wildcats film w/ Goldie Hawn. That was before I even heard any of his raps.

Pshark, agreed! There are a TON of artists that should probably be inducted before LL. the Beasties ,etc. Has Junior Walker and the Allstars made it in? How about Bootsy? Dionne Warwick?

My vote :

Chuck Willis
    Joe Tex
    Dr John
    Chic
    J. Geils Band

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Just this morning, the nominees for the class of 2011 were announced for induction into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

The nominees are:

- Neil Diamond
    - Alice Cooper
    - Laura Nyro
    - Donna Summer
    - Chic
    - Tom Waits
    - LL Cool J
    - The Beastie Boys
    - Joe Tex
    - The J. Geils Band
    - Darlene Love
    - Chuck Willis
    - Dr. John
    - Bon Jovi
    - Donovan

What do you think of the list?
    Are they still doing this? I mean who cares really? But I'd bet Neil Diamond is a shoo-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    Are they still doing this? I mean who cares really? But I'd bet Neil Diamond is a shoo-in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    Not neccessarily, Neil's A/C leanings have always been a point of contention with Jann Wenner and the nominating committee. I honestly think he finally made it because were finally hitting now a somewhat fallow period for newly qualifying artists and probably will until post 2015 when the nineties acts start kick in [[Pearl Jam, Nirvana) since the late eighties were a down time due to the softening of the pop format [[see Pebbles, Paula Abdul) hair metal [[Poison, Def Leppard), and the teen boom [[Debbie Gibson, Tiffany, NKOTB). Not many shoo-in's to come in the next year or two from that era besides GNR, Tracy Chapman, or Bon Jovi.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    Not neccessarily, Neil's A/C leanings have always been a point of contention with Jann Wenner and the nominating committee. I honestly think he finally made it because were finally hitting now a somewhat fallow period for newly qualifying artists and probably will until post 2015 when the nineties acts start kick in [[Pearl Jam, Nirvana) since the late eighties were a down time due to the softening of the pop format [[see Pebbles, Paula Abdul) hair metal [[Poison, Def Leppard), and the teen boom [[Debbie Gibson, Tiffany, NKOTB). Not many shoo-in's to come in the next year or two from that era besides GNR, Tracy Chapman, or Bon Jovi.
    Good points, but I bet Chic, LL Cool J, Darlene Love, Joe Tex, Chuck Willis and Donna Summer won't get inducted, but Alice Cooper, Bon Jjovi and Neil Diamond will. Jann Wenner is in the easy listening demographic now.

Chic have now been nominated six times and deserve to get in this time, they were a very influential band whose songs not only have been sampled numerous times, but their sound influenced a lot of artists. Best eample: the bass line of "Good Times.
    Apart from them I would vote for Laura Nyro, Neil Diamond, Alice Cooper and Dr John, not necessarily because I like them, but because they seem most worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Pshark, agreed! There are a TON of artists that should probably be inducted before LL. the Beasties ,etc. Has Junior Walker and the Allstars made it in? How about Bootsy? Dionne Warwick?
    Undeniably, it is time to recognize the first wave of major Rap artists.
    Bootsy is already in as a member of P-Funk. But what bothers me is that the JB's will probably never be inducted. Not recognizing Fred Wesley and Maceo Parker and the rest of the band is a crime.
    I'm also hoping that Chic gets in. They are easily the most progressive entity in disco music.

I have an opinion on Chic, who will probably torpedo Donna Summers' bid, and Chuck Willis, who will do the same to Joe Tex. I also have strongly mixed feelings on Laura Nyro, Dr. John and Tom Waits, all from practical, not musical standpoints.

http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/weblog...s-are-part-ii/

The nominations this year are a real mess. Last year was fairly cut and dried, but by including both LL Cool J AND The Beastie Boys, the RRHoF has probably assured both will not go in. This years list was a hatchet job, seemingly designed to make sure Bon Jovi and J. Geiles and Donovan made it in.

Its a pretty weak list to choose from...they are getting to the bottom of the barrel....

How many get to go in again?

No Dionne Warwick is another major oversight.

If it is 5 I think they will be Neil Diamond, Alice Cooper, Bon Jovi, J.Geils Band and probably the Beastie Boys [[if not them, one of Donna Summer, Chic, or Donovan).

jobeterob.....
    .......I don't think J. Geiles will make it and I hope the hair band masqurading as Bon Jovi doesn't. I'd be inclined to believe the only mortal lock is Donovan. He's the only sop to 60's Brit Pop on the list.....like last year's Hollies.....and he's got the catalogue, sales and airplay to back it up.

Neil Diamond, Alice Cooper, probably Chic and Chuck Willis in the wild card position are my picks.

If you have a minute, jobeterob, would you look at the blog I linked to above? I need an opinion on my thinking....

Thanks.

pshark Guest
    When I think Dionne Warwick I don't think R&R. She's not what the youths listened to. She's as much R&R as Tony Bennett.
    Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    Its a pretty weak list to choose from...they are getting to the bottom of the barrel....
    What!? These are not the bottom of the barrel. Most of these acts deserve to be in.

Doug, are you sure about Dr John one having one hit? This guy deserves to be in there. He's what the genre is all about

Deserving to be in and actually being in are two different things, especially when it comes to the main hall. That Dr. John is terrific goes without saying. But the main hall has been set up for major acts, with separate induction procedures for sidemen, producers, writers, early influences [[where Chuck Willis probably should be) and the like. Unfortunately, some artists fall through the cracks. Dr. John, Laura Nyro and Tom Waits are 3 of those who have an excellent performing legacy but probably don't have a snowballs chance in hell of being inducted as such.

When I made that post, I was talking about what probably would happen. That's why I used a should they/will they system.

Pretty good list! My picks are:

- Neil Diamond
    - Alice Cooper
    - Laura Nyro
    - Donna Summer
    - Chic
    - Joe Tex
    - The J. Geils Band
    - Dr. John
    - Donovan

You don't think Chic deserves to be in there? I think they are more deserving than any of them, other than Kiss and Donna Summer.

A question from left field. A couple years ago there was a group that wanted to get Rosalie Trombley inducted in the non performer category. What do you think of that idea?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeAK53Ejrbw

Chic and Donna Summer yes but theyve chosen the big acts over the years..its hardly the most exciting list you could come up with is it? In a few years at this rate Debbie Gibson and Rockwell might get a nod...just kidding

Chic and Donna Summer yes but theyve chosen the big acts over the years..its hardly the most exciting list you could come up with is it? In a few years at this rate Debbie Gibson and Rockwell might get a nod...just kidding

Hey! Debbie Gibson deserves it! She does it all, sings, plays all instruments, writes, arranges, produces, and even acts. The only thing I haven't seen her being credited with is recording and mixing, and i'll bet she does that too! Ray Parker Jr. does all that and engineers! but, I don't think he acts.

Yes, Neil Diamond should have been in long time ago. I tell you who is the MOST criminally ignored... and that's Connie Francis!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug-Morgan View Post
    A question from left field. A couple years ago there was a group that wanted to get Rosalie Trombley inducted in the non performer category. What do you think of that idea?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeAK53Ejrbw
    Rosalie should definitely be considered for all she did to break records on the BIG 8 CKLW!

It's about time for Neil Diamond

One of the great performers of all- time and a tremendous writer, I have been campaigning for him to get in for years. The guy has a long list of excellent songs and still sounds great in person.
    How can you justify half of the people in the RIRHOF and not have ND.

Of course there are others that should be in i.e. ELO and Jr. Walker, but ND would be a good start

Doug...........I read your blog/article.

It all makes sense to me except if I were to pick a mortal lock, I think I would pick Neil Diamond. Neil Diamond is one of those few artists that define a lifetime - Barbra Streisand, Beatles, Diana, Aretha, Temptations. Neil is attracting crowds today that hardly any artist out there can hope to attract; and he's an old fart now. So I believe he is the lock even though I only like about 4 of his songs.

I think your article highlights some of the problems for the Hall and why it is now so disrespected. In it's early years, they were making choices that covered a wide spectrum - groups and artists that had been huge successes for many years; and groups that really were "pop" groups or "pop" artists. How could you argue against Beatles, Supremes, Aretha, Elvis etc.

I guess music splintered significantly and we were left with Rock, R & B, MOR, Country, Soul, Pop, Disco, Easy Listening, Rap, Country Rock. The Hall seems to now be inducting groups and artists from the Rock or Country Rock area with a smattering from Soul and Pop. But there has been a huge neglect of artists that had a wide and lasting influence.

One might say that Dionne Warwick is an MOR or Pop artist but are you comfortable saying the following people ALL had a far greater influence than Dionne Warwick: The Pretenders, The OJays, Buddy Guy, Blondie, Jackson Browne, The Righteous Brothers, The Clash, The Dells, The Hollies, Bobby Womack, Leonard Cohen, The Dave Clark 5, Patti Smith, The Ventures, The Lovin Spoonful, Del Shannon, Dusty Springfield? And I could go on......a lot more; and all those people have been inducted.

They need to go back and revisit the R & B, the Pop, the MOR artists as well as continuing the consideration of Rap and Disco artists.

I think if the Hall wants to rebuild and have credibility, I think it has to consider situations like that of Barbra Streisand: influence? Come on, the voice is one in millions. Can Aretha sing better? Certainly not anymore, if ever? Can Diana? Madonna? Britney? Natalie? NO. She was in rock movies. She's done it all. Yes, she is an MOR artist with a huge pop success that hardly anyone in the rock hall can duplicate, Aretha Franklin included.

The Hall has lost so much credibility ~ it is regarded as a joke much like Mr. Blackwells best dressed list was [[he must be dead by now). It is just a list to provoke mass criticism.

I'm rooting for Laura Nyro all the way. She deserves to be in because she paved the way for female singer-songwriters. Her influence is VERY strong [[Todd Rundgren, Elton John, Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell, etc. have all stated that they were influenced by her.) Even Alice Cooper stated that she was one of his favorite songwriters. She needs to be inducted as a performer, not as a non-performer has some people believe she should. I feel that to be included as a non-performer [[songwriter), writing/producing/etc. is your number one focus. That is what you make your career out of. Example: Lamont Dozier was a singer, but his focus was writing. With Laura, although she was a writer, she was first a performer. Her main focus was to sing and perform. Although her songs became hits for everyone else, she wrote those songs for herself to sing thus why I feel she should be inducted as a performer.