[REMOVE ADS]

Marvin Gaye National Anthem 1968 World Series

Another great childhood memory! I remember watching the series and this performance at the time. [[Notice Anna Gordy Gaye standing next to Marvin....)

You may remember that at the next game, Jose Feliciano sang the anthem at Tiger Stadium...possibly the first time ever in a "non traditional" fashion with his guitar on a stool along the first baseline. I was coincidentally at that game and walked in on the first base side just as Jose started singing. I remember walking into the seating area right near Jose who was singing, and all the booing from many of the fans. I happen to remember Detroit sportscasting legend Van Patrick sitting in his box seat and holding his nose. Marvin publicly criticized Felicianos anthem performance which prompted Jose to proclaim to Marvin that he had a lot more soul than Gaye. The argument ensued and at some point they were going to do a sing off on national television. I dont recall what came of that, but Marvin performed the anthem in a very classy and professional manner.

I love this version :

Marvin Gaye definitely answered Jose Feliciano's claim that he lacked soul with that second version of the National Anthem. That's the one most people remember and still talk about, not the one he did in 1968.

Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post
    You may remember that at the next game, Jose Feliciano sang the anthem at Tiger Stadium...possibly the first time ever in a "non traditional" fashion with his guitar on a stool along the first baseline. I was coincidentally at that game and walked in on the first base side just as Jose started singing. I remember walking into the seating area right near Jose who was singing, and all the booing from many of the fans. I happen to remember Detroit sportscasting legend Van Patrick sitting in his box seat and holding his nose. Marvin publicly criticized Felicianos anthem performance which prompted Jose to proclaim to Marvin that he had a lot more soul than Gaye. The argument ensued and at some point they were going to do a sing off on national television. I dont recall what came of that, but Marvin performed the anthem in a very classy and professional manner.
    Stu! I remember that too. When Jose sang the National Anthem everyone went bonkers! I just thought it was very cool or "groovy" [[as we would put it at the time hehehehehehe....). I also got chills a bit when Marvin performed it at the NBA Allstar game in '83.

It seems like EVERYTHING in 1968 had political and social undertones .......at least publicly.

Jose did very well......

True that Joses version of the anthem is pretty tame by todays melismatic standards; but back in 1968 it was considered pretty radical. If he changed the lyric it sounds awfully like Light My Fire...his big hit at the time...at least stylistically.