[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Apollo live

Apollo live

Interesting how this Apollo Theater tradition keeps reinventing itself and coming back for new generations. Currently, the Apollo Live show airs on BET with host Tony Rock and judges Gladys Knight, Michael Bivins and Dougie Fresh. I like the new format with the judges, but personally I think they could lose Dougie Fresh. It makes me laugh everytime he talks and he judges someone's singing. He raps. He's not a singer and can barely talk. Has anyone on the forum ever been to Amateur Night? What do you think of the TV show?

I attended a couple of Amateur Night performances circa 2001 or 2002. I also had a friend who used to work on "Showtime At the Apollo!", so he snuck me in a couple of times.

I think the new series is very good. I must confess that I probably wouldn't have watched it if Gladys wasn't on. I didn't think I would like an entire show devoted to Amateur Night, but I have been enjoying it. Most of the acts have at least some talent. They seem to weed out the truly bad. I don't particularly like the SHOWCASE acts. I haven't found any of them worthy of $1000.