[REMOVE ADS]

Mary Wilson Interview - From 2011

http://tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com/2...d-mary-wilson/

My apologies if this has been posted before.
    It's from August 16, 2011.
    I just stumbled across it and wanted to post it
    just in case it hasn't already appeared on SDF.
    It's awfully good. And covers a lot of ground.
    Definitely worth reading.

In another thread, it is mentioned that Mary said that Lynda was a temporary Supreme. In this interview, she says that Lynda was a legitimate Supreme. If we put all of Mary's interviews together, Lynda was a legitimate, temporary, permanent replacement Supreme.

INTERVIEWER: You’re active in the Truth in Music legislation. Do you think it should prevent Scherrie and Lynda from appearing with Joyce Vincent, one half of Tony Orlando’s Dawn, as “Scherrie Payne and Lynda Laurence, formerly of the Supremes.” It’s a pretty dumb name, you have to admit. Poor Joyce, it’s like she doesn’t exist.

MARY: The bill states there has to be at least one original member who recorded the music in order for the group to be called, say, the Drifters. Otherwise it’s a tribute band. Scherrie and Lynda were bona fide members of the Supremes, so no one can stop them from saying the Supremes.

I think Mary sets things right here--but some other times, it has been confusing. Diana once said on Oprah that Cindy was never really a Supreme. Now THAT was confusing! Seemed like a ridiculous thing to say. And sad. People often speak in error or say something that doesn't come out quite right or how they intended. And it can be reported inaccurately, as well. But it can just as often be said exactly how it was meant, too. I would hope people in the public's eye would clarify things as much--or as soon--as possible. But that doesn't always seem to occur. I wish it did. When something is said that seems to contradict fact, isn't further explanation warranted?
    Last edited by Methuselah2; 12-27-2012 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah2 View Post
    I think Mary sets things right here--but some other times, it has been confusing. Diana once said on Oprah that Cindy was never really a Supreme. Now THAT was confusing! Seemed like a ridiculous thing to say. And sad. People often speak in error or say something that doesn't come out quite right or how they intended. And it can be reported inaccurately, as well. But it can just as often be said exactly how it was meant, too. I would hope people in the public's eye would clarify things as much--or as soon--as possible. But that doesn't always seem to occur. I wish it did. When something is said that seems to contradict fact, isn't further explanation warranted?
    I think in the case of Diana saying that Cindy wasn't really a Supreme can be taken with the same teaspoon of salt in which Mary didn't want Cindy inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Although she was a Supreme, she wasn't an ORIGINAL Supreme. I suppose the case could be made that Barbara then should have been inducted, but her tenure with the group was so short, that she really didn't make much of an impact. I of course could be wrong, but I equate it to other groups, like the Pointer Sisters. They are still out there performing, with the help of nieces and granddaughters, but people will always remember the heyday of June, Ruth and Anita.

As far as Lynda is concerned, at least the recent mentioning of Lynda as a "temporary" member: in Mary's defense, I get the impression that she didn't have much to do with "My Supremes" other than writing the forward and submitting a few pics. For my taste, there were way too many adjectives used, such as "lovely" and the tongue-in-cheek "supreme". It certainly didn't add any value to the overall storyline.

With the Supremes, there will always be multiple sides of the story: Diana's story, Mary's story, Flo's story, Berry's story and of course....the true story.

I never read this quite interesting it looks like Mary doesnt want to rehash all of the RTL stuff and I cant blame her.

I was especially taken by how Mary came off in this interview--very balanced, practical, straightforward, realistic. She's been part of history, she's also observed it, and she's got perspective here. I thought it was Mary at her best.
    Last edited by Methuselah2; 12-27-2012 at 07:52 PM.

I believe Diana's comment about Cindy not being a real Supreme had to do with emotion, not fact.

I think she was referring to the fact that when Florence left, in effect the group ended; they didn't travel or record together; they showed up on stage together but it was really just two background singers getting pushed back further and further.

Several years ago, this was mentioned by people close to Universal ~ that effectively the group was over in 1967.

So to Diana, it meant the end of being "together" not whether Cindy was a Supreme; I saw Diana on Oprah once list all 9 Supremes and Cindy was definitely there.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I believe Diana's comment about Cindy not being a real Supreme had to do with emotion, not fact.

I think she was referring to the fact that when Florence left, in effect the group ended; they didn't travel or record together; they showed up on stage together but it was really just two background singers getting pushed back further and further.

Several years ago, this was mentioned by people close to Universal ~ that effectively the group was over in 1967.

So to Diana, it meant the end of being "together" not whether Cindy was a Supreme; I saw Diana on Oprah once list all 9 Supremes and Cindy was definitely there.
    Berry Gordy hired Cindy Birdsong to be a member of the Supremes. She was under contract to Motown from roughly 1967-77.