[REMOVE ADS]

Alternative back cover for Supremes Sing Country, Western & Pop?

While reading comments from Supremes fans in Tom Adrahtas' book, The Diva & Her Tribe, I was intrigued by one fan's insistance that his aunt had a copy of their Country, Western & Pop album with a picture of the group singing in a studio, rather than the liner notes and the smaller facial shots.

I did a quick search on the net and did discover that the British release had no photos on the back, and wondered if in fact such a different version of the album art did exist. I know that a previous thread on this recording indicated subtle differences between the stereo and mono versions of this record.

Slightly off-topic: I have wondered for a long time why the CD reissue of this album which came out some years ago is mono. The stereo masters must be around somewhere.

There have been hints that the next Supremes Hip-O Select set may consist of their unusual project recordings. When the limited Marvin Gaye CD edition of "When I'm Alone I Cry" was released, the mono and stereo versions were included. Maybe when the CD version of C, W & P, was released, it was a quick effort to get the product out, but as you know, it was soon out of print. Here's hoping Harry will do right by the C, W & P sessions and make both mono and stereo versions available.
    Last edited by R. Mark Desjardins; 12-18-2012 at 03:15 PM.

The CD was released in 1994. At that time, Motown as an independent label was about to end. That might explain the short lives of this project, Marvelous Marvelettes, Come and Get These Memories, and When I'm Alone, I Cry.

As far as rear covers, I have the US Stereo vinyl and a Venezuelan Stereo vinyl. Both are identical with the exception of the Motown company information.

Marvelous and Come and Get we're both mono issues from the Motown Masters Series. Like the Temptations Box Set from that period, there was a push on to release in mono. Come and Get was eventually issued in stereo as part of a two on one in the UK. The Marvelettes has never appeared in any form but mono. The Supremes Sing Country Western & Pop was issued on CD in this same period along with Cooking With The Miracles, another mono only item.
    Last edited by 762rob; 12-19-2012 at 06:21 PM.