[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    supremester Guest
    Excellent show, John - and excellent closer - it's a fave of mine, too!

This had been the night of nights.
    The show of shows.
    Louvain was simply wonderful.
    As were you John.
    I look forward to Louvain's return to the show.
    It was such an exciting night on the air tonight.
    On the air and suspended in air.
    Thank you so much.

Quote Originally Posted by sophisticated_soul View Post
    "All I Do" always the perfect choice. Thanks John.
    Joseph, you are so right!

Thank you so much Louvain for sharing your precious memories with all of us. It was completely fascinating to listen to your perspective. For the record I am yet another Supremes fan who has no problems with The Andantes contributions to refining The Supremes [[or anyone else's) recorded output. You should be proud of your contributions to the many songs that have gone on to become all-time classics. Thank you again.

Another one out of the park, John! Excellent interview! Riveting even! Thank you mi amigo. And thanks to one and all for making a good thing better. See you all next time . . . unless something apocalyptic happens this coming Friday. Yikes! In which case I will say "Thanks, it's been fun!"

John;
    I just got a new computer that actually lets me hear your program loud and clear, but not wanting to chance losing a moment of your three hours with the lovely [[and lively!) Louvain Demps, I didn't want to open up this page to comment, but now that the show is over, WOW, you really gave us the best Christmas present ever. I can't imagine how you are going to play SANTA to us all on your 4 [[!!!) hour show on the 25th, to quote the Jackson 5, "I'll be there!" Thanks again John!
    Last edited by R. Mark Desjardins; 12-19-2012 at 02:55 AM.

If there are any shows requiring a Podcast, these two are critical. Please post a new thread when they are available.

I missed the entire show tonite..........Christmas and all.

Would anyone care to highlight any of Louvain's comments.

I agree - The Andantes were loved, just like Mary and Cindy, Diana and Flo, Jean and Lynda, Barbara and Barbara, Susaye and Scherrie and all the other groups.

Quote Originally Posted by MotownSteve View Post
    Great version of What Becomes of the Broken Hearted. How'd I miss it until now.
    Thanks so much, Steve!

Quote Originally Posted by lovechild View Post
    JP I really loved the show last week but this week is making me want more of Louvain
    I hope we can have her back in the future again... Thank you
    Thanks, Tony....I know what you mean. I could talk with Louvain endlessly.

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    Great Show. Informative. Bravo...

Thanks, skooldem!!!

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    QuestionS For Louvain:

First, I am a HUGE admiarer of The Andantes and thank them for all of their many, many fantastic vocal jobs. They are unsung heroes and deserve so much more than they've been getting.

Questions:
    1) How were you paid? Hourly, by the gig? Salary? Were groups like The Supremes billed for Andantes services that you know of?
    2)How was Marlene chosen to sub for Flo - how did that affect Andantes studio work? Was everyone cool with it?
    3)Did you try to sound like Supremes, Vandellas or Marvelettes? I ask because so often it's tough to tell and what a credit to the versatility and talent of your group!
    4)What do you think of the few, but EXTREMELY vocal Supremes fans who cannot handle that you worked on songs like Stop! In The Name Of Love? The controversy has resulted in Motown not giving your group it's props on The I Hear A Symphony Deluxe Set. Thoughts?
    5) Did you ever provide Supremes vocals for TV appearances? Which ones?
    6) Which Supremes hits did one or more Andante appear?

John I love you and your show. THANK YOU for bringing us the fantastic Louvain Demps.
    Thank You, Thank You Thank You!!!!

Gregg from Portland OR
    Gregg.....thanks....I appreciate it!

Excellent show, John - and excellent closer - it's a fave of mine, too!
    Gregg...thank you again....

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah2 View Post
    This had been the night of nights.
    The show of shows.
    Louvain was simply wonderful.
    As were you John.
    I look forward to Louvain's return to the show.
    It was such an exciting night on the air tonight.
    On the air and suspended in air.
    Thank you so much.
    Bruce...thank you so much...for the kind words...I appreciate it!

Another one out of the park, John! Excellent interview! Riveting even! Thank you mi amigo. And thanks to one and all for making a good thing better. See you all next time . . . unless something apocalyptic happens this coming Friday. Yikes! In which case I will say "Thanks, it's been fun!"
    Joseph....much appreciated, my friend!!

Quote Originally Posted by R. Mark Desjardins View Post
    John;
    I just got a new computer that actually lets me hear your program loud and clear, but not wanting to chance losing a moment of your three hours with the lovely [[and lively!) Louvain Demps, I didn't want to open up this page to comment, but now that the show is over, WOW, you really gave us the best Christmas present ever. I can't imagine how you are going to play SANTA to us all on your 4 [[!!!) hour show on the 25th, to quote the Jackson 5, "I'll be there!" Thanks again John!
    Mark...thanks...glad you enjoyed the show....Louvain, who really doesn't know us at all, did give us allsuch a generous and beautiful Christmas gift...a most wonderful lady....
    Glad you'll be listening to the 4 hour [[gasp) Christmas show!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    If there are any shows requiring a Podcast, these two are critical. Please post a new thread when they are available.

I agree - The Andantes were loved, just like Mary and Cindy, Diana and Flo, Jean and Lynda, Barbara and Barbara, Susaye and Scherrie and all the other groups.
    Rob....sorry you missed the show. They are in the process of being edited for podcast as we speak.
    I CAN tell you that Louvain said that the Andantes were NOT on "No Matter What Sign You Are"...
    makes you wonder who was.....
    [[by the way...who was the SECOND Barbara that you identify?)

LOL - it was late; and Betty became Barbara.

But heck, if Lynda can be on the cover of Floy Joy and be a temporary Supreme and if the Andantes are now on virtually all the big hits of the Supremes, then Betty can be Barbara for a while!

The podcasts will be a Christmas present! Cant wait for them.

LOL - it was late; and Betty became Barbara.

But heck, if Lynda can be on the cover of Floy Joy and be a temporary Supreme and if the Andantes are now on virtually all the big hits of the Supremes, then Betty can be Barbara for a while!

The podcasts will be a Christmas present! Cant wait for them.
    Rob...
    Betty is Barbara.....The Andantes are the Supremes....
    has the whole world gone MAD?!?!? [[*smile)

I checked and the first Louvain show is being edited for podcast upload as I post this!
    I'll bring in the 2nd show tomorrow to be edited.

supremester Guest
    Johnny, I think The Blackberries might be on No Matter What Sign You Are. When Louvain mentioned the move to LA, I remember seeing an interview in LA with Miss Ross shortly before it was released and she recalled a song that she just recorded that Berry had just written for her. It probably was all done in LA. I love the song and the bg is so well sung, I erroneously chalked it up to another facet of The Andantes..... they must have totally given up using Mary & Cindy - because it would be less work if it had to be sweetened anyway. And Mary & Cindy probably didn't care anyway - like on Love Child. They got paid, why spend the day in the studio when they could be out running around LA? I'm going to sniff this out.

PS I think the second Barbara was meant to be Betty.
    PPSS: I didn't know The Andantes were on Up The Ladder, but it explains a lot as far as the sound goes....... what a killer record that is.

Quote Originally Posted by midnight johnny View Post
    Rob....sorry you missed the show. They are in the process of being edited for podcast as we speak.
    I CAN tell you that Louvain said that the Andantes were NOT on "No Matter What Sign You Are"...
    makes you wonder who was.....
    [[by the way...who was the SECOND Barbara that you identify?)

Although with all the post over the years- I suspect I already had read that they performed on earlier hits- it was kind of a surprise that she mentioned that they sang on almost ALL of the hits- early hits included. Even after all these hours of interviews with Louvain- I suspect there is still a lot she hasn't told. She wants to keep it classy, and like she said doesn't want to cause ill feelings and conflict.

Was the version of STOP you played from the #1's CD? She said that they all recorded the background and she clearly heard Flo. I ask was it from that CD because that is the only one I know that had that acapella ending. That wasn't the released version was it?

As far as "Up the Ladder" that wipes out the theory that The Supremes became a group again once Diana left.

As far as "Up the Ladder" that wipes out the theory that The Supremes became a group again once Diana left.
    skool....I do think that's stretching it a bit. We've known for years that the Andantes were on quite a number of the Jean Terrell vocals recorded just after Jean joined Motown. And the Supremes were a group from 65 on even though the Andantes were on many of "the group's" tracks. I don't think it interfered with the integrityof the group simply because session singers were used. To me, it's all in the mixing and editing...that someone
    decided the kind of sound they wanted on a particular recording, and they mixed the track accordingly.
    It really had nothing to do with people...it had to do with the Motown Sound.

supremester Guest
    Another tidbit: The Andantes are on TCB.

skool....I do think that's stretching it a bit. We've known for years that the Andantes were on quite a number of the Jean Terrell vocals recorded just after Jean joined Motown. And the Supremes were a group from 65 on even though the Andantes were on many of "the group's" tracks. I don't think it interfered with the integrityof the group simply because session singers were used. To me, it's all in the mixing and editing...that someone
    decided the kind of sound they wanted on a particular recording, and they mixed the track accordingly.

It is hard for some fans of the Supremes in the 70's to admit this. I have seen it. As far as they are concerned, it was only Jean, Cindy and Mary on these recordings and the Andantes were not included like they were when Diana wanted it all for herself. Facts don't matter because they don't fit the narrative.

supremester Guest
    Very well said. Everything was about making the best product - and, thus, the most money. No thought was given to anything but that. Mary, Flo & Cindy didn't get chances to shine. So what? - get to rehearsal. Diana isn't eating - go learn your dance routine. It was how they did things. I just think of The Andantes as I do The Funk Bros - needed to make the magic.

Where did it come from that the Andantes are on TCB?

Another tidbit: The Andantes are on TCB.
    The Andantes are not on TCB.

Just as long-thought lost music still comes forth from the vaults to see the light of day, so, too, does Motown history continue to be revealed.

Just to add my 2-cents' worth to the discussion:

Very few people seem to know that the Vandellas had been sent to Sweden to undergo a very radical and controversial experiment to be miniaturized in order to fit into the glass jar used for the SUGAR N' SPICE album cover photoshoot. Furthermore, the experiment had actually been attempted once before that but it didn't quite work out: As you can see on the RIDIN' HIGH album cover, the miniaturizing did not take effect on Martha. And Rosalind and Lois had to perform on Martha's shoulder for the next 6 months.
    Last edited by Methuselah2; 12-20-2012 at 10:14 PM.

Can you guys present what you know about TCB?

I have read that a lot of TCB was recorded in the studio...........or at least that Diana Ross re-did parts in the studio.

What makes you think the Andantes were or weren't on it?

I recall ten years or so ago, Andy Skurow said some line about the Supremes like: "You better be careful of the questions you ask about them because you might not like the answers you get". And that answer was in relation to who sang on those songs.

Jobeterob, I believe a question was submitted to John asking about The Andantes doing any vocalizing for TV performances, and Louvain answered affirmatively. Asked further if it was done for TCB, and again the answer was affirmative. Whether John said "vocals" or "Supremes' vocals," that I cannot recall. That could make a difference as to the questions posed and the answers given. The forthcoming podcasts should provide everything just as the audience heard it--except for the terrific music and superlative remixes that were played. I think you will enjoy the podcasts whole-heartedly. Part 1 was simply wonderful, and Part 2 even more so--although I wouldn't have thought that possible.

supremester Guest
    Better take that up with louvain - were you involved with the production of TCB? What is your point of reference?

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post

The Andantes are not on TCB.

Better take that up with louvain - were you involved with the production of TCB? What is your point of reference?
    No, I was not involved in the production of TCB nor do I mean to be disrespectful to Louvain, who I love dearly, but you have to consider all sources before believing something as fact. First, the show was done out in LA. The Andantes were Detroit based. Could Motown have flown the Andantes out to LA? Very possible. It's also possible that since Motown was still recording so much in Detroit that they could have just brought the tapes back to Detroit and had the Andantes added? That's possible. Second, you have to look at dates. When was TCB recorded and filmed? Dates are an important factor. If the show was being completely recorded in September, 1968 then we should compare the dates with what was being done back in Detroit. If we see that the Andantes are doing background vocal work to studio tracks in Detroit while TCB is being recorded in LA then the probability of the Andantes being in LA doing TCB is very slim. Now, the Andantes could have added vocals at a later date, but if the session logs and master tapes indicate no further recording dates other than what was done in LA in September 1968 then the chances are slim. Third, you have to know what was actually going on during the production of TCB. I had the pleasure to meet and listen to Dennis Edwards speak about his experience working on TCB. As he said everything was recorded live with the orchestra in the TV studio where they filmed the special. Nothing was done in a recording studio. The "Hits of 60's medley" and the Supremes' "I'm The Greatest Star" was filmed without a studio audience, but the music and vocals were recorded in the TV studio live and then played back when they filming so they were all lip-synching to a live track. Would Motown hide the Andantes behind a curtain while they were recording this? Motown has done sneaky things, but I just can't see it happening. Fourth, you have to know the ladies voices. I know Mary's voice and Cindy's voice very well. I also know the Andantes' voices and their sound together very well. People can have their own opinions, but I can assure you that I don't hear the Andantes anywhere on the TCB soundtrack. The only thing we can reference to confirm all of this are the master tapes. As I once told "It's all in the tapes." If we were to listen and isolate the background vocals for the soundtrack and were to find the Andantes then I've been proven wrong. However; if we listen to the tapes and all we hear is Mary & Cindy, then what? I'm not calling Louvain a liar, but I sometimes feel that people get confused about what they were and weren't on after 45 years. Louvain may say the Andantes are on TCB, but what if we were to ask Dennis Edwards or Otis Williams or Cindy Birdsong? They all may say "No, they weren't." Who is wrong and who is right? Do we immediately throw out Louvain's claim? Do we throw out the other's claims? That's why you have to always consider all sources before coming to a conclusion and finding the fact. I wasn't there, but I know, seen, held, touched, and heard things that I think some people wouldn't want to believe. Yes I am young, but that doesn't mean that I'm less educated about the Motown recording process than others. You've got to look at the full scope of things.

Just as long-thought lost music still comes forth from the vaults to see the light of day, so, too, does Motown history continue to be revealed.

Just to add my 2-cents' worth to the discussion:

Very few people seem to know that the Vandellas had been sent to Sweden to undergo a very radical and controversial experient to be miniaturized in order to fit into the glass jar used for the SUGAR N' SPICE album cover photoshoot. Furthermore, the experient had actually been attempted once before that but it didn't quite work out: As you can see on the RIDIN' HIGH album cover, the miniaturizing did not take effect on Martha. And Rosalind and Lois had to perform on Martha's shoulder for the next 6 months.
    HAHAHAHAHA

Did Stevie Wonder go with them for the Signed Sealed Delivered album so he could fit in a box!

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    HAHAHAHAHA

Did Stevie Wonder go with them for the Signed Sealed Delivered album so he could fit in a box!
    Or The Supremes so they could fit in a Christmas ornament!

They must have got help from Santa Claus for that one. LOLOL

I checked and the first Louvain show is being edited for podcast upload as I post this!
    I'll bring in the 2nd show tomorrow to be edited.
    If it's up I can't find it - in fact, there only seems to be one NIGHT FLIGHT podcast episode at WOMR.org ~ is that right? I know at one time there was quite a few...any help would be appreciated and I'm looking forward to the show very much. Happy Holidays, John!

From what I recall, Lovaine said that they recorded their vocals and they were sent to California. Without the podcast I can't be certain. In any event, the way I interpreted it was that Mary and Cindy sang over the pre-recorded vocal track of the Andantes. According to Dennis, for this special he said that they- speaking for both groups I suppose, sang live earlier in the day, and then when they taped the special they were singing to the live track recorded earlier in the day- so there weren't any mistakes. So Diana and all the leads were singing to their own live tracks, and Mary and Cindy were basically singing over the Andantes. Listen to Dennis explain.

Yes it is 45 years later, but Louvain is sharp. She clearly knows what she did or didn't record. I'd go with her version. It is straight from the horses mouth. Not second hand guesses by fans.

Quote Originally Posted by ejluther View Post
    If it's up I can't find it - in fact, there only seems to be one NIGHT FLIGHT podcast episode at WOMR.org ~ is that right? I know at one time there was quite a few...any help would be appreciated and I'm looking forward to the show very much. Happy Holidays, John!
    Eric....the Louvain Part one isn't up yet....the tech is working on it presently...it may take him a bit of time, just becasue there is so much music to edit out [[sadly). I will post a new thread when the podcast is up. A very Merry Christmas to you too, Eric!! Thanks!

From what I recall, Lovaine said that they recorded their vocals and they were sent to California. Without the podcast I can't be certain. In any event, the way I interpreted it was that Mary and Cindy sang over the pre-recorded vocal track of the Andantes. According to Dennis, for this special he said that they- speaking for both groups I suppose, sang live earlier in the day, and then when they taped the special they were singing to the live track recorded earlier in the day- so there weren't any mistakes. So Diana and all the leads were singing to their own live tracks, and Mary and Cindy were basically singing over the Andantes. Listen to Dennis explain.

skool....thanks for that Dennis interview. Great to see him talk about TCB...and it sort of addressed some questions.

Yes it is 45 years later, but Louvain is sharp. She clearly knows what she did or didn't record. I'd go with her version. It is straight from the horses mouth. Not second hand guesses by fans.
    Okay folks the statement I'm about to make is totally true and I have the tapes to back it up.
    I Me Rod recorded ALL backup vocals parts for TCB, Farewell, Live @ The Talk Of The Town, Temptations, Live, Four Tops Live, Martha & The Vandellas Live, Motor Town Revue Vol 1 &2 Diana % Supremes Love Child album, Temptations Anthology, Marvin & Tammi Greatest Hits, The Emotions Live, Earth Wind & Fire Live, Shalamar Greatest hits and quite a few others. I said that to say the Andantes may have recorded everything that Louvan mention don't mean it was ever released. In regards to TCB, that is clearly only Mary & Cindy and if you can't tell the difference your Supreme fan club card is revoked

I just re-listened to Dennis explain how it all went down. I had to refer back to this because it doesn't seem to me that they are lip-syncing on the special. Diana Ross is not good at lip-syncing, so you would be able to tell if she was. They recorded vocals earlier in the day so in case when they were taping the show if someone messed up, they could then use the pre-recorded vocals. Doesn't seem to me that they had to use them, because clearly they appear to be singing live and both groups were great. So perhaps the Andantes did record vocals, but it doesn't seem that they had to be used afterall.

I just re-listened to Dennis explain how it all went down. I had to refer back to this because it doesn't seem to me that they are lip-syncing on the special. Diana Ross is not good at lip-syncing, so you would be able to tell if she was. They recorded vocals earlier in the day so in case when they were taping the show if someone messed up, they could then use the pre-recorded vocals. Doesn't seem to me that they had to use them, because clearly they appear to be singing live and both groups were great. So perhaps the Andantes did record vocals, but it doesn't seem that they had to be used afterall.
    Diana Ross not good at lip-syncing? She is probably one of the few people who made it look natural. They were lip-syncing to the Taste of Honey medley.

As for the Andantes' vocals, if they weren't used then they are not on TCB. It's Mary & Cindy clearly from start to finish.

You guys are better than me with respect to those background voices.

I had no idea it was Johnny Bristol on Someday We'll be Together until 1986 or so. I had no idea it was the Andantes on Love Child. And I have no clue who is backing Diana Ross on TCB.

When I realized it was the Andantes on the single version of Stop in the Name of Love, I also realized I would never again know when Mary and Florence or Mary and Cindy sang because I always thought the Andantes on Stop in the Name of Love were Mary and Florence.

I'll stick with it's Florence on Manhattan and You Keep Me Hangin On.

As someone who listened intently--actually, it would have been impossible not to--to the amazing 2-parter NIGHTFLIGHT that spotlighted the work of The Andantes and the words, experience, and history of Louvain Demps, it was inevitable that it would generate discussion as shown here on SDF. I submitted a slew of questions myself during the shows for Louvain, so I can easily understand how everyone is feeling and why we all want to settle a neverending list of issues, concerns, and uncertainties. Images and perceptions long-rooted in our hearts and minds are still up for grabs, it seems. And I don't want those things chipped away at. But the truth is the truth and images and perceptions can be far from it. And John and Louvain, throughout all 6 hours total of the shows, got to it in everyway possible way whenever the truth was there to be known.

Louvain made numerous things clear, and perhaps the clearest thing was that The Andantes were at Motown to do a job. A job that utilized their talents and creativity and skill but, in the final analysis, a job first and foremost. They had a part to play that ultimately became a major contribution to the entire enterprise. But Louvain was very precise about what that was--and what it was was exactly what the producers wanted them to furnish for the recordings. She said that the producers always had a very clear and definite idea of the sound they wanted to capture at the very start of each recording session. And The Andantes did everything they could to do as directed. Once their part of the recording was made, they didn't yet know how it would be used or how it would end up. And their job didn't include being part of those decisions. And they didn't expect it to be. John, as well, made it very clear throughout that whatever ended up on the recordings was at the discretion of the producers or those in decision-making positions. So, it boils down to the simple fact that only the producers can answer certain questions with definitive answers.

The rapport between Louvain and John over the course of the shows lent to a remarkable, indepth, insightful examination of the recording process as it was for The Andantes. It covered so much and uncovered many, many things--the most wonderful of all: Louvain herself. For me, Louvain was the true revelation--her way of speaking, her temperament, her personality, her humor, her candor. It was all just as beautiful as we've known her singing voice to be. This 2-parter NIGHTFLIGHT was not just a show--it was an event. An extremely rare one. I thank Louvain for saying yes to it. And I thank John for making it happen. I anxiously await the podcasts so I can hear it happen again.
    Last edited by Methuselah2; 12-21-2012 at 04:29 AM.

I will post a new thread when the podcast is up. A very Merry Christmas to you too, Eric!! Thanks!
    Great - can't wait!
    Last edited by ejluther; 12-21-2012 at 11:00 AM.

As someone who listened intently--actually, it would have been impossible not to--to the amazing 2-parter NIGHTFLIGHT that spotlighted the work of The Andantes and the words, experience, and history of Louvain Demps, it was inevitable that it would generate discussion as shown here on SDF. I submitted a slew of questions myself during the shows for Louvain, so I can easily understand how everyone is feeling and why we all want to settle a neverending list of issues, concerns, and uncertainties. Images and perceptions long-rooted in our hearts and minds are still up for grabs, it seems. And I don't want those things chipped away at. But the truth is the truth and images and perceptions can be far from it. And John and Louvain, throughout all 6 hours total of the shows, got to it in everyway possible way whenever the truth was there to be known.

Louvain made numerous things clear, and perhaps the clearest thing was that The Andantes were at Motown to do a job. A job that utilized their talents and creativity and skill but, in the final analysis, a job first and foremost. They had a part to play that ultimately became a major contribution to the entire enterprise. But Louvain was very precise about what that was--and what it was was exactly what the producers wanted them to furnish for the recordings. She said that the producers always had a very clear and definite idea of the sound they wanted to capture at the very start of each recording session. And The Andantes did everything they could to do as directed. Once their part of the recording was made, they didn't yet know how it would be used or how it would end up. And their job didn't include being part of those decisions. And they didn't expect it to be. John, as well, made it very clear throughout that whatever ended up on the recordings was at the discretion of the producers or those in decision-making positions. So, it boils down to the simple fact that only the producers can answer certain questions with definitive answers.

The rapport between Louvain and John over the course of the shows lent to a remarkable, indepth, insightful examination of the recording process as it was for The Andantes. It covered so much and uncovered many, many things--the most wonderful of all: Louvain herself. For me, Louvain was the true revelation--her way of speaking, her temperament, her personality, her humor, her candor. It was all just as beautiful as we've known her singing voice to be. This 2-parter NIGHTFLIGHT was not just a show--it was an event. An extremely rare one. I thank Louvain for saying yes to it. And I thank John for making it happen. I anxiously await the podcasts so I can hear it happen again.
    Excellent post, Bruce! Thank you.

Excellent post, Bruce! Thank you.

Bruce...I agree with Joseph....a wonderful post [[and thank you).

Bradsupremes...I don't know if I agree with your insistance about who sang what on which...I think one thing we learned over this past 2 years is that information given to fans changes, and fans can't always depend on their ears
    to tell them who sang what on which...no matter how old or young they are. But I DO agree with you that Diana was pretty good with a lipsync...too bad she wasn't as good remembering lyrics.

Rod_Rick...I am fascinated by your involvement in the Motown recordings that you mentioned. I didn't know
    you had a history with the company. Can you share when you were with them and what you did. I'd appreciate knowing. Thanks so much!