[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

"Nightflight" Tue Dec 18, 9P-12M ET:LOUVAIN is BACK!!!! One More Time!

Hello, my friends in Motown! Last week, on "Nightflight", I had the distinct privilege and honor to have with me liveduring most of the show a lady who IS Motown, as much as some and more than many...Louvain Demps...member of Motown's iconic session vocalists...the ANDANTES. The reality of her presence with me not only resonates deep into my heart, but the surrealness of it is hard to wrap my old brain around.
    Louvain was with Motown during the greatest of it's golden years, and with her Andantes partners, Jackie Hicks and Marlene Barrows, sang background with the Spinners and the Originals or by themselves, logging in probably more studio time than any other group or artist, only second to the Funk Brothers.
    Last week, Louvain and I covered a lot of Hitsville ground in two and a half hours, but it wasn't until after the show
    when I reviewed our time together that I realzed just how much we hadn't discussed...Tammi...the Supremes...
    Marvin...Brenda...the Vandellas...Carolyn...Stevie...Soupy Sales...and at this point, I'm not sure how I am going to defy the laws of physics, bending time and space, to give all of them, including Louvain, the time they deserve...but I'm damn well gonna try.
    Your questions to Louvain were so important...helping to shed light on what went on at Motown through an Andantes-eye view, and I thank you. Please feel free to post more questions here for tonight's show with Louvain.
    Do join Louvain and I tonight for 3 hours of a show that doesn't get more Motown than this. Having Louvain join me for not just one show...but TWO...I couldn't ask for a more wonderful Christmas gift. Thank you, Louvain!!
    That's tonight...on "Nightflight"....on WOMR 92.1 FM Provincetown and WFMR 91.3 FM Orleans, and we are streaming live in digital stereo at www.womr.org
    Thanks so much!!
    John
    PS...please...no phone calls tonight...I'll be on the phone with Louvain....but I'll be here too!

Name:  Louvain and Harry Weinger.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  44.1 KB
    Louvain with our friend Harry Weinger

Oh, my. You say last week, Louvain was live during MOST of the show???? Well then, I don't even want to think what she was during the rest of it! But she's back tonight, so all is well. In fact, things couldn't be better. Last week's show was such a lively dialogue between you two--I'm elated that there's even more tonight. Wonderful programming on your part, John. Louvain couldn't be a more terrific guest. This has been truly unique radio--a certified rarity. But then, again, very special people make for very special listening.
    Last edited by Methuselah2; 12-18-2012 at 02:57 PM.

QUESTION FOR LOUVAIN:

Could Louvain choose a song and take us through the process of getting the back-up vocal on the recording?

Such as:

-- Who comes up with the back-up vocal and arrangement?
    -- Who works with The Andantes on it?
    -- What's used for the music at that point?
    -- How much rehearsal time?
    -- Does someone cue The Andantes when to come in with their vocal?
    -- Any allowance for ad-libbing by The Andantes?
    -- Which is the preferred procedure by Louvain: Recording along with artists and musicians or recording separately to a track?

And is singing back-up as difficult as it seems since It involves often singing counter to the melody; it involves singing as a group to produce the singular sound; and it seems to involve enormous attention to timing. Thank you Louvain.
    Last edited by Methuselah2; 12-18-2012 at 05:47 PM.

Great questions, Methuselah!

Quote Originally Posted by R. Mark Desjardins View Post
    Great questions, Methuselah!
    Thank you Mark. Much appreciated.

QUESTION FOR LOUVAIN:

I think I'll just call this one TOO HARD TO FIGURE, TOO STRANGE TO KNOW WHAT'S GOIN' ON.

In other words, what's the deal with THE DARNELLS? I cannot figure this one out. HDH in full Phil Spector/Crystals/Ronettes mode with the catchy TOO HURT TO CRY, TOO MUCH IN LOVE TO SAY GOODBYE. By, uh, oh right, THE DARNELLS. Any info on what was behind this idea, this ploy, this marketing strategy? It's quite a mystery.

THE DARNELLS. The world's most mysterious singing group; the group that dared to pose the unanswerable question by their mere existence: WHY? Forget the damn Mystery of the Sphinx! I'd love to know about those darn DARNELLS!

Or, in other words, why was it TOO IMPOSSIBLE TO UTTER, TOO HARD TO MENTION GLADYS AND THE ANDANTES?
    Last edited by Methuselah2; 12-18-2012 at 06:31 PM.

Hey John, very much looking forward to Part II of your wonderful interview with the amazing Louvain. I thought it was so incredibly kind of her to give so much of her time and share so many of her memories with you and your audience. The interview was informative, thought provoking and fun. And when she agreed to come back for part II - well that was just icing on the cake. Actually it's a whole other cake! With it's own icing! Yummy! Louvain is quite a lady. See you and the gang on the Radiola!

Hey John, hope you have a wonderful show with Louvain. I hate to miss it but i'm over in London for vacation. Ive sent a letter to Santa at the North Pole in hopes he puts podcasts of this show on the WOMR website. See everyone next week!

Quote Originally Posted by sophisticated_soul View Post
    Hey John, very much looking forward to Part II of your wonderful interview with the amazing Louvain. I thought it was so incredibly kind of her to give so much of her time and share so many of her memories with you and your audience. The interview was informative, thought provoking and fun. And when she agreed to come back for part II - well that was just icing on the cake. Actually it's a whole other cake! With it's own icing! Yummy! Louvain is quite a lady. See you and the gang on the Radiola!
    Yes, Joseph....TWo cakes!!!! Sounds GOOOOOOOOOD! See you latah on that ol' Radiola!

Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    Hey John, hope you have a wonderful show with Louvain. I hate to miss it but i'm over in London for vacation. Ive sent a letter to Santa at the North Pole in hopes he puts podcasts of this show on the WOMR website. See everyone next week!
    Glen...if you gotta miss the show...London is the best reason I can think of. Have a great time....we'll miss you!

QUESTION FOR LOUVAIN:

Any memories regarding the recording sessions for FOREVER CAME TODAY? Reportedly one of HDH's personal favorites, perhaps thought to be the culmination of their partnership up to that point, this great piece of music was way ahead of its time and seemed to have caught the public unaware. It's one of The Andantes' innumerable performances in your immense catalogue of performances that whenever I sing or hum the tune to myself, I just have to do The Andantes' part, too. That heavenly, celestial choir of you, Jackie, and Marlene is just too sensational, too much a part of what makes this recording great, not to.
    Last edited by Methuselah2; 12-18-2012 at 07:54 PM.

The Supremes 50th Anniversary says Mary and Flo recorded the background for Stop in the Name of Love and the next day the Andantes re-did it and got the released version.

Did she know this was being done ~ the 2 versions?

Could they always tell the difference between their own voices and those of the Supremes or Vandellas or Marvelettes?

Did the group members know when the songs were released that they were not on the songs? Could they easily tell the difference?

Hi Johnny Looking forward to hearing more great stories from Louvain Hi Louvain!

Quote Originally Posted by lovechild View Post
    Hi Johnny Looking forward to hearing more great stories from Louvain Hi Louvain!
    Hey Tony!!!!!! Welcome! ...in the studio....

Hi John,
    Looking forward to the show. Should I say 'hearing forward'?

So Louvain is a recovering Andante?

Quote Originally Posted by MotownSteve View Post
    Hi John,
    Looking forward to the show. Should I say 'hearing forward'?
    Welcome Steve!!!! Hello....NEW JERSEY!!!!

So Louvain is a recovering Andante?

Heh heh heh....i GET it! [[*smile)

Fantastic version of Uptight. Love it!

Quote Originally Posted by MotownSteve View Post
    Fantastic version of Uptight. Love it!
    Thanks Steve!!!

supremester Guest
    QuestionS For Louvain:

First, I am a HUGE admiarer of The Andantes and thank them for all of their many, many fantastic vocal jobs. They are unsung heroes and deserve so much more than they've been getting.

Questions:
    1) How were you paid? Hourly, by the gig? Salary? Were groups like The Supremes billed for Andantes services that you know of?
    2)How was Marlene chosen to sub for Flo - how did that affect Andantes studio work? Was everyone cool with it?
    3)Did you try to sound like Supremes, Vandellas or Marvelettes? I ask because so often it's tough to tell and what a credit to the versatility and talent of your group!
    4)What do you think of the few, but EXTREMELY vocal Supremes fans who cannot handle that you worked on songs like Stop! In The Name Of Love? The controversy has resulted in Motown not giving your group it's props on The I Hear A Symphony Deluxe Set. Thoughts?
    5) Did you ever provide Supremes vocals for TV appearances? Which ones?
    6) Which Supremes hits did one or more Andante appear?

John I love you and your show. THANK YOU for bringing us the fantastic Louvain Demps.
    Thank You, Thank You Thank You!!!!

Gregg from Portland OR

supremester Guest
    More Questions By The Supremester

1) Could you tell certain songs were gonna hit big - like Love child? Were you surprised at any that didn't hit?
    2) Did you ever make up your own arrangements? I love the arrangements on Deke Richards tracks like Bless You, Love Child, I'm Still Waiting, DoobeDoodn Doobe - were you on those?

3) You guys were sensational on No Matter What Sign You Are - do you recall the session? Was Berry there? What was it like?

PS: Hi Joe, Tony & Rob T
    Last edited by supremester; 12-18-2012 at 11:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    Hey Gregg!

Re: Love Child - What a beautiful mistake! I love it! Very cool.

supremester Guest
    Deke was on Love Child

Love Child minus Deke Richards equals Im Livin In Shame

supremester Guest
    Hi - who is this? Oh, must be Joe - Sophisticated Soul - I'm much more of a Marvelettes fan now!

Hey Gregg!

Hi - who is this? Oh, must be Joe - Sophisticated Soul - I'm much more of a Marvelettes fan now!
    Yes, it's me, Joe. Tony is Love Child. You have some real good questions for Louvain, Gregg. I am loving this interview!

supremester Guest
    Are you on Reflections? What is the lyric in the bg after Diana sings "..........all in vain!"

please ask her what she meant when she said that they were all there. Does that mean that Mary and Florence knew they were added because they were all in the studio together?

If they were all there, Did Mary and Florence have a problem with additional singers in the background?

More Questions By The Supremester

1) Could you tell certain songs were gonna hit big - like Love child? Were you surprised at any that didn't hit?
    2) Did you ever make up your own arrangements? I love the arrangements on Deke Richards tracks like Bless You, Love Child, I'm Still Waiting, DoobeDoodn Doobe - were you on those?

3) You guys were sensational on No Matter What Sign You Are - do you recall the session? Was Berry there? What was it like?

Merry Christmas Gregg, great questions

It always sounded to me like there were more than 2 singers in the background.

Did they ever sing with the Supremes in concert?

How many times did Marlene sub for Flo?

supremester Guest
    I'll shut up now, but thank you so much, John, for this show. All Motown fans love and send best wishes to The Andantes.

Just tuned in! I know it's Mary singing on "Reflections," but can't decided if it's Marlene or Louvain singing with her because Florence is definitely not on it.

Question for Louvain:

Were there any songs she can remember that was challenging for the Andantes to sing? And Louvain, I love hearing your beautiful soprano shine through on so many songs especially on Tammi Terrell's "All I Do Is Think About You" and the Four Tops' "You Can't Keep A Good Man Down."

Just got back from a function at the Rock Hall and I would love to see the Andantes get inducted into the Side"men" category for their work!
    Last edited by bradsupremes; 12-18-2012 at 11:57 PM.

supremester Guest
    My roomie just ran upstairs and exclaimed "and I still am not sure what the bg is on Forever Came Today" during the break "As you were standing there you didnt speak a single word, but your eyes, your eyes..etc) they buried them and kind of muffled it so neither one of us can tell exactly what they are singing....

Thanks for asking my questions. Appreciated. Tell her she is the best. They were great. They are an important part of the "Motown Sound".

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    And Louvain, I love hearing your beautiful soprano shine through on so many songs especially on Tammi Terrell's "All I Do Is Think About You" and the Four Tops' "You Can't Keep A Good Man Down.
    Brad - Yes indeedy. I co-sign!

Can you ask her one last Supreme question: How many times did Marlene sub for Florence in concert?

Also does Louvain know which lady is singing at the beginning of P.J.'s "T.L.C. [[Tender Lovin' Care)" and the Originals' version of "The Exodus Song?" Is it her or Marlene?

Great version of What Becomes of the Broken Hearted. How'd I miss it until now.

supremester Guest
    John, I really consider The Andantes as charter members of The Supremes - I have for years. Love Child alone earns them that moniker. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

JP I really loved the show last week but this week is making me want more of Louvain
    I hope we can have her back in the future again... Thank you

Please tell her that not many Supreme fans resent the fact that she sang on those records. I love the work they did with the Supremes. She needs to know that we don't resent her. We love her contributions. Their background vocals made those records outstanding, and classics.

supremester Guest
    Any recollections on My Guy or Mary Wells? Or my fave Martha ever "Bless You" a killer bg track
    Last edited by supremester; 12-19-2012 at 12:37 AM.

"All I Do" always the perfect choice. Thanks John.

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    Please tell her that not many Supreme fans resent the fact that she sang on those records. I love the work they did with the Supremes. She needs to know that we don't resent her. We love her contributions. Their background vocals made those records outstanding, and classics.
    Well said Skooldem. Beautifully said, actually. Thank you for saying it.

Great Show. Informative. Bravo...