[REMOVE ADS]

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Brooklyn Music Venues -- 1960's

I started a thread about the Fox Theater in Brooklyn some time back and it prompted quite a few very interesting posts from artists / fans who had attended shows at the venue.
    So I thought I'd try again to gain more info on venues in the area back in the day.

Anyone here remember the 521 Club which was located at 1134 Fulton Street, Brooklyn.
    Seems that it operated from the late 50's through to the mid 70's and was owned / run by a number's runner; Eugene Goldston or Golston [[maybe even Gene Goldstein).
    The likes of Eb Davis & the SoulGroovers, Lew Kirton, Jerry Lawson [[of the Persuasions), the Shufflers & Paul Osher were all regulars there.
    The club had its own house band [[at one time they were Sue recording act; Jimmy Oliver & Soul Twisters).
    Recording artists who played / hung out at the club included Millie Jackson, Little Johhny Taylor, The Invitations, The Persuasions, Kenny Hamber & Sterling Harrison.
    The club even had its own record label, with a couple of 45's gaining release. These were by Little David [[Smith) and Paul Walters. Jimmy Oliver's Soul Twisters also played on some of their tracks.
    Anyone know anything about the club, the label or the acts they signed to record deals ??

Attachment 5734
    Last edited by jsmith; 12-13-2012 at 03:12 AM.