[REMOVE ADS]

Meet The Supremes/Hallmark

Not sure if anyone will be interested but the single disc version of Meet the Supremes will be released in January.

Hopefully that means that the Rev. Columbus Mann album will appear as they were were released two months apart in 1962.

Seems like I'll have to wait a few years until The Originals LPs are issued...or being cynical, will UMG issue them a few years PRIOR to Hallmark.....
    Supremes early LPs, Miracles early Lps .....all issued by UMG in recent years....Get them out before it's too late, but not before they have to!

Perhaps the albums by the Originals will be leased to some other label for reissue? I don't see them as being major sellers for Universal/Hip O/Motown --not on the same level with the Miracles, the Temptations, the Tops, Jackson 5, etc. The Originals' albums didn't sell very well the first time around, so I don't see them being a priority. But some other label might take a chance on them. Maybe downloads might be possible?
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 12-07-2012 at 10:15 AM.

I mentioned in another thread that the EU has changed the copyright from 50 to 70 years. I read later that this has to be implemented no later than 1 November, 2013, so it looks like Hallmark can still issue a few more. I don't know if all the 1962 titles go into the public domain in Jan 2013 or how that works, but I also hope to see the Rev Columbus Mann LP. Of course I would have preferred an official release from Universal or Ace, from the master tapes, but I guess that would never have happened.

calvin, that's interesting! Where did you read that? Do hope it's true, would love to have Rev. Columbus Mann, Motown Special #1 and The Contours LP released.

mr_postman, as for the date of 1 November, it's here for example [[and there's also a link to the EU directive in this paragraph):

http://www2.le.ac.uk/library/service...-musical-works

It says member states are required to incorporate this directive *by* 1 November 2013, so I guess it's possible it might be done earlier, though I couldn't find any other date it is scheduled to begin.

Also I gave before a couple of links to old articles from when the directive passed:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/13/ar...anted=all&_r=0

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011...fs-law-beatles

Now that you mention the Contours LP, I just checked the tracks from that and I see two tracks I don't know, "Claudia" and "The Old Miner"! According to DFTMC, these two songs have only appeared on CD in France, on the "Lucky Sounds" label. Not to complain, I love the Ace reissues, but it's a shame that those two tracks weren't added to "Dance With The Contours" - that cd is about 66 minutes long, they would have been able to fit them on.

Looking at the forthcoming new releases for Hallmark, they are also issuing the following Motown albums:-
    Mary Wells - "The one who really loves you"
    Little Stevie Wonder - "The Jazz soul of"
    The Marvelettes - "Smash hits '62" [[The corrected group name spelling cover)
    So hopefully there will be Rev Columbus Mann on their next batch of releases.
    The Motown Cds are part of 51 new release Hallmark Cds released beginning of January with quite an interesting batch of artist releases.

I see in another thread that Hotspurman wrote that all 1961 releases went into the public domain in the EU on 1 January, 2012. So I guess all the 1962 releases will be in the public domain on 1 January, 2013.

One factor in the copyright extension from 50 to 70 years was to keep the Beatles recordings from going into the public domain. The Beatles first single was Love Me Do / PS I Love You, released in the UK in October 1962. I see there's a Hallmark release slated for 1 Jan called "The Beatles - The Early Years", with the Polydor / Tony Sheridan recordings PLUS - as a bonus - Love Me Do and PS I Love You. But those were the only two Beatles songs issued by Parlophone in 1962, so the rest should be covered by the 70 year law.

Is there a link for current and upcoming Hallmark releases?

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    Is there a link for current and upcoming Hallmark releases?
    Hotspurman should show up here pretty soon. Last time he directed us to Amazon UK - if you search for Hallmark under Music and sort by release date, you'll get the 51 titles Calv1971 referred to above as available for pre-order.

In an older thread on this site Hotspurman gave a list of the Motown albums that they would release in 2013, assuming the new copyright extension was not yet in effect [[and it apparently is not):

THE MARVELETTES SING THE MARVELETTES
    MOTOWN SPECIAL VARIOUS ARTISTS
    EDDIE HOLLAND EDDIE HOLLAND
    I'LL TRY SOMETHING NEW THE MIRACLES
    PLAYBOY THE MARVELETTES
    THE ONE WHO REALLY LOVES YOU MARY WELLS
    THE JAZZ SOUL OF LITTLE STEVIE WONDER LITTLE STEVIE WONDER
    DO YOU LOVE ME THE CONTOURS
    MEET THE SUPREMES THE SUPREMES
    TRIBUTE TO UNCLE RAY LITTLE STEVIE WONDER
    ALL STAR JAZZ EARL WASHINGTON
    THEY SHALL BE MINE THE REVEREND COLUMBUS MANN

It's the post on 27 Feb 2012:
    http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread...light=hallmark

Dies anyone know what MOTOWN SPECIAL VARIOUS ARTISTS is?

Owing to a number of issues I've not been on here for a while, but I see our forthcoming re-issues are creating something of a stir!

Our January releases include The Jazz Soul Of Little Stevie Wonder, The Marvelttes Smash Hits of 62, The One Who Really Loves You and Meet The Supremes, as well as Green Onions [[Booker T), The Electrifying Aretha Franklin and The Quinetessence [[Quincy Jones).

In February, we have Do You Love Me [[The Contours), All Star Jazz [[Earl Washington), Eddie Holland, A Tribute To Uncle Ray [[Stevie Wonder), They Shall Be Mine [[Rev Columbus Mann), Playboy [[Marvelettes), I'll Try Something New [[Miracles) and Motown Special #1 [[this is the Motown equivalent of Tamla Special #1 - a collection of A and B sides from the Motown label in 1961/62), as well as Twist & Shout [[Isley Brothers), Sherry & 11 Others [[Four Seasons), At the Copa [[Jackie Wilson), Letter full Of Tears [[Gladys Knight & The Pips), Tender Moving Swinging [[Aretha Franklin), Save The Last Dance For Me [[Drifters) and Dance [[Ike & Tina Turner).

Some of you like and appreciate we are making these available, some don't. The quality of the transfers is much better than last year, so I hope those that do like what we're doing, will be pleasantly surprised.

As someone else mentioned earlier, I suspect that 1962 will be the last year's worth of albums we will be able to reissue for some twenty years, so you will have to chase UMG for all the 1963 releases....

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    Dies anyone know what MOTOWN SPECIAL VARIOUS ARTISTS is?
    It is a compilation featuring hits such as THE ONE WHO REALLY LOVES YOU, JAMIE, and GREETINGS [[THIS IS UNCLE SAM).