[REMOVE ADS]

Detroit Pistons | The Show: Mary Wilson

smark21 Guest
    Well I suppose it’s a decent enough performance for a basketball half time event, though Mary’s voice seems to give out a bit near the end.

I just saw that..... Go Mary!

I dont know why she sings You Cant Hurry Love-it just doesnt suit her voice. Not good.

No offense to Mary Wilson but she doesnt sound great on this clip. God bless her for giving it her all but ive heard her sound better.

Sincerely.

Roberta

Bump for MaryBrewster

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I dont know why she sings You Cant Hurry Love-it just doesnt suit her voice. Not good.
    That's not as much the problem... the problem is she's singing to the original track... which mean's she's trying to sing in Diane's key. Which ain't hers. It's true, that "You Can't Hurry Love" is a song better suited to Diane, and it's not a talent issue, because Aretha Franklin couldn't pull that song off, either. Diane's voice just has a bouyancy that floats over and through the song, and works in that venue... any song that is energetic and bouncy is what Diane excels in. If Mary would EVER attempt this again, you could use a computer program to lower the key on that track without slowing it down... hell, I would do it for her..... and it would sound much better. She would have been better served to sing to her 1991 version of "You Keep Me Hanging On", I know she has the instrumental track to that.
    Last edited by jillfoster; 12-27-2012 at 01:49 AM.

She's struggling with the notes on these songs. But she's a lot lot better than Martha Reeves is.

She also struggled on the Christmas carol someone posted......Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas.

None of these girls could sing Diana's songs........not Whitney or Aretha or Barbra; it's always been said again and again. She has a voice that cannot be duplicated and is one of a kind.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    She's struggling with the notes on these songs. But she's a lot lot better than Martha Reeves is.

She also struggled on the Christmas carol someone posted......Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas.

None of these girls could sing Diana's songs........not Whitney or Aretha or Barbra; it's always been said again and again. She has a voice that cannot be duplicated and is one of a kind.
    She's not one of a kind, it's just that not any of the women mentioned could sing bouncy pop tunes and pull it off. There are lots of women who can sing bouncy pop tunes and sound great doing them. Katie Kissoon, Polly Brown, Abba... and if you want to compare apples to apples [[Meaning black women in the 60's) then the biggest example of a woman with that same buoyant quality is Brenda Reid:

Brenda could sing any of Diana's songs and sound excellent.
    Last edited by jillfoster; 12-27-2012 at 04:03 AM.

Brenda Reid had a different kind of voice and was a different kind of singer than Diana Ross.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 12-27-2012 at 05:13 AM.

Thanks for posting this, skool.

smark21 Guest

I suspect you’re just trolling to provoke some of the anti Rossers, but really, there have been plenty of good covers of Supremes and Diana Ross songs over the years. Last December I attended a tribute to the music of the Diana Ross and the Supremes in NYC and many of the singers, mostly theater singers and indie musicians [[male and female), did fine jobs singing the songs. Diana Ross is a fine singer who has set a standard for pop singing, but her work, just like anyone else, is not permanently untouchable or insurmountable.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    I suspect you’re just trolling to provoke some of the anti Rossers, but really, there have been plenty of good covers of Supremes and Diana Ross songs over the years. Last December I attended a tribute to the music of the Diana Ross and the Supremes in NYC and many of the singers, mostly theater singers and indie musicians [[male and female), did fine jobs singing the songs. Diana Ross is a fine singer who has set a standard for pop singing, but her work, just like anyone else, is not permanently untouchable or insurmountable.
    Exactly. Well put.

Nah, I've never laid bait.

But I have read several times that "the girls" dont do Diana covers well.

But I also agree with the rest of what you've said.

Nah, I've never laid bait.

But I have read several times that "the girls" dont do Diana covers well.

But I also agree with the rest of what you've said.
    Diane does not sing them well today either. I cannot listen to her.

This thread is about Mary.

What I find interesting about this clip is they brought Flo and Marys backgrounds up front. It was not a bad performance but I have seen her do better. She looked great! I think it should have been in another key.

Here Mary is from just the other night in LA!