[REMOVE ADS]

smark21 Guest

Martha Reeves singing "What's Going On" at Bert's

Go Martha!!!

That is so sad, someone kind must tell her to stop

who is the lady with martha?

I posted a recent clip where she really sang well--none of the high vibrato stuff.

dear oh dear....i totally agree with Copely...time to stop and let the history books tell it like it "was".

I think she just needs a good voice teacher.

Lord. That isn't pretty.

She's real good when she don't go into that high vibrato. Who told her in the early '70s [[when she first used it) that that was cool?

Luke

Agreed. A review of voice production could well lessen or eliminate what sounds like strain on those notes at the very top end of Martha's register.

Martha still puts on a great show. She clearly loves her work as much as ever.

Her fans and friends love her as much as ever they did and, most importantly, they love her for how she is today.

If any fan of Motown music, especially from the Hitsville USA days, were asked to name a performer who continues to embody the spirit of 'Motown', surely Martha remains a major contender?

Would you be able to post your recent clip again, please?

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Lord. That isn't pretty.
    I just hope Roberta doesn't hear this.

Penny

I agree with West Grand's assessment generally.

None of these singers sound like they did in the 60's and 70's. Some are more off the mark than others but they are all off a little bit. Martha has been off since the mid 90's.

But you go to see them expecting that. I saw Gordon Lightfoot in the fall. He is in his early 70's and suffers from some heavy drinking in years gone by. And the voice is better than Martha's but not anywhere near what it was.

But fans go for the nostalgia and the return to years gone by.

One way for the artist to fluff things up a little bit is to turn the mic's up a little bit on the background vocalists to make the vocal sound fuller.

smark21 Guest
    Or lower their key and try not to hit the notes they can no longer hit. Martha still sounds alright when she keeps her voice in a lower, bluesy register.

arrr&bee

Join DateAug 2010Posts1,472

who is the lady with martha?

Lady Champagne

http://www.reverbnation.com/artist/bio/artist_2576868
    My Name is Lady Champagne I was born in Pineville Louisiana. The place where I first started singing church hymns, country music and hearing the Blues. At age eight I remember attending church with my mother in Louisiana as we walk going to her weekly choir rehearsals. Choir rehearsals was very exciting to me because I was able to sit and listen to different styles of voices while they were singing. And that is when I wanted to become a member of the church's junior choir to sing like my mother. Singing was such a pleasure to me, especially, when it touch the hearts of the church members as they clapped and shouted with joy. By age 12 I started singing the blues on weekends as I set on the back porch of my grandmother house and watch family members rehearse for a show at Papa Jones Cafe. I started singing along with my mother, father, uncle and other family members while they were playing the harmonica, wash board, hubcaps and guitar and drums all night long singing to all the great blues songs from Johnny Lee Hooker, Little Walter, and Muddy Waters. Always, I looked forward to the weekends.

At fourteen, my family and I left Louisiana and moved to the west side of Detroit Michigan. I attended Hutchinson Junior High and later Northwestern High School. Music became an important part of my education as well as a part of my life as I learn to sing different styles of music. Age thirty, I was able to go to some of the most popular Detroit Blues clubs like 20 Grand, Ethels Lounge, Henry's Palace and Phelps Lounge to see and hear what the blues was really talking about. I was very fortunate to have the opportunity to meet some of the great Blues artist like Johnny Taylor, B.B.King, Bobby Blue Bland and Tyrone Davis. On Sundays, I enjoy going to gospel concerts with my mother to see Reverend James Cleveland, Vanessa Bell Armstrong, Andra Crouch and was able to talk and meet Rev Ranch Allen. I fell in love with Gospel music and told my mother of my longing to keep the love of God and Spiritual music in my life. I joined New Bethel Baptist Church where the great Reverend C.L. Franklin was the paster. I was there several years singing in the choir. I fell in love with the sound of the B3 organ and Rev. Franklin preaching the word of God.

In recent years, I must say, it was really rewarding to perform at a benefit for victims of Hurricane Katrina, hosted by Mitch Album of WJR,760 AM. My band and I were also guests on his radio show. I've had the pleasure of sharing the stage and singing background for the great Rev Ortheia Barnes at church events. I also sang background for Jazzy Lady Vonnie and Company Band. With Vonnie, we had the honor of opening for the Legendary Jazz man Mr. Joe Sample at the Music Hall. I've shared the stage with Blues greats like KoKo Taylor, Alberta Adams and Blues man Mr.Chick Willis and also had the pleasure of opening up for the Legend of the Blues Concert featuring Mr.Bobby Blue Bland, Theodis Earley, and Clearance Carter.

In 2010, the Black Music Awards Association nominated me for Best Female Blues Vocalist. This event was held at Bert's Warehouse Theatre downtown Detroit. Combining my love of Gospel and Blues has awarded me the rich and soulful sound I call my own. I am both leader and lead vocalist for my group called Champagne and the Motor City Blues Crew Band. This is a 7 piece music ensemble. With Paul Stewart on Bass, T. Pablo on Harmonica, Larry T. on Guitar, Willie Willie on Keyboards, Richard Adams on Sax, Rick Gould on Drums. We do clubs, concerts, private events and studio recordings. My new up coming recording CD will be out this May 12th 2012 it is call You Don't Know What Love Is. A great CD with a lot of great musicians to spice up the flavor. I am a producer, writer and love to arrange different styles of music. I love the great melodic sound of harmony.

I've had the pleasure of performing in dinner clubs located in the Metro area. Such as Station 885, Portofino's, Andiamo's, Memphis Smoke, Bert's Market Place, Bakers Keyboard Lounge, Cobo Hall and Zarr Club in Benton Harbor. And special events for the Renaissance Ball Room, Ritz Carton, Greenfield Village Ball Room, and the fabulous Villa Penna Banquet Hall. And also the yearly outdoor fun with the Windsor Festival, Ferndale Blues Festival, Ribs n Soul Festival, Pontiac Arts Beats and Eats Festival, Old Town Blues Festival, International River Day Festival, and the Winter Blast Festival

I can't say enough about all the musicians and singers that I had the pleasure of performing with and venues I've had the pleasure of performing in. I am a member of the Detroit Blues Society were the blues lovers keep the blues alive. I come this far by keeping God, Number 1 in my life. With him all things are possible. My gratitude cannot be expressed enough for all the wonderful people that have touch my life. I am very grateful for those opportunities

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tXTrQ9gPUo
    Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 12-04-2012 at 11:54 AM.

Review from the Guardian earlier this year . Martha as a person still commands respect, but the vocal approach is questionable in the eyes of the reviewer.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012...as-live-review

Westgrand-Ralph and I are trying to find that clip. Martha sounds great in it -no vibrato and more appropriate clothing IMO.[[lol)

Thank you kindly, Luke & Ralph.

I do remember you recently posting a different clip, and I'm very interested to know which of the clips is the most recent.

And [[just between ourselves, of course....) I agree with you that the selection of Martha's costume may not at times always completely flatter the slightly fuller figure, but she still remains lovely.

I applaud Martha for attempting to reproduce the same voice as on her records which we have heard and loved for decades, and also for attempting to retain 'the look', but she may be just a tad too rigorous at times.

Bringing the key down, even half-speaking the lyrics at times, can work well. It's all to do with getting the message of the song across....

I remember Martha's performance of "What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted" on the UK 'Dancing in the Streets' tour in 2004. She half spoke the verses, then sang the chorus with background singers. It was kept low, focused, and Martha sang it with steady, almost fervent determination. Almost as if it were a prayer...

It's just when the lady wants to 'get happy', and get into jazz mode, that her voice ascends a little out of control, and the notes start to crack and pop at random.

Then we get the vocal equivalent of high-pitched fireworks in the night sky....

Folks let me say something here if i may,while many of us long for the[good ol days]when the artist we love were in thier primes[and so were we]time catches us all and while our legends may not sound as they did on those records we love we should be greatful that legends like martha reeves are still here and still performing with folks leaving this world by the day,we need to enjoy these wonderful performers while we still can.

Quote Originally Posted by arrr&bee View Post
    Folks let me say something here if i may,while many of us long for the[good ol days]when the artist we love were in thier primes[and so were we]time catches us all and while our legends may not sound as they did on those records we love we should be greatful that legends like martha reeves are still here and still performing with folks leaving this world by the day,we need to enjoy these wonderful performers while we still can.
    I second that emotion.

This is also why SD in general needs to stop the cat calling, caterwalling, denigrating and picking on of all the Soul Music Legends.

There are many hypocrites on this forum.
    Last edited by skooldem1; 12-04-2012 at 03:21 PM.

OK, the truth as I see it. I love Martha and have done since ’63. I have all her Motown albums plus many as yet unreleased songs. I have seen her perform three times all in this century [[would have loved to have seen her in the ‘60’). The first in 2001 in Las Vegas came as a bit of a shock as her voice was totally different to what I had expected. The only fast number that sounded OK was ‘I’m Ready For Love’, the ballads were patchy in places.

The second time was in Scotland about 2 years later and she was surprisingly good especially on such songs as ‘Love Makes Me Do Foolish Things’ & ‘My Baby Loves Me’ because she was using her lower register. That was the night I met her and had a nice chat.

I saw Martha in Scotland again in 2005/6 and this time I took a group of friends with me as I’d said how great she was the time before. Oh dear it was a nightmare as far as her singing was concerned. Dance numbers like ‘Nowhere To Run’ & ‘Jimmy Mack’ were wrecked by that vibrato and the look on the audience’s faces was a Kodak moment! Even the slower numbers suffered a similar fate. She hit the wrong note at the start of ‘Love Makes Me Do Foolish Things’ and never recovered. The only song that she didn’t murder that night was ‘No One There’. Of course the audience clapped politely after each song as Martha is a legend. Martha also has a great stage presence and her stories are interesting if perhaps a little exaggerated. What got Martha through that nights excruciating singing performance was the audiences love for her and her own brass neck!

Now I don’t expect Martha or anyone of her generation to sound the same as back in the day. She is a legend with a brilliant back catalogue and I have always found her to be a good ambassador for Motown. However I will never go and see her in concert again as that is not how I want to remember her. Martha needs to be told kindly that for the sake of her reputation & voice that she should hang up the microphone. Anyone who thinks that she still sounds good is either hard of hearing or deluded. Telling her that she sounds 'great' on the likes of this video is being hypocritical and is doing Martha no favours!

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Miss Martha Reeves was is and always will be the First lady of Moton records and one of the fineast singers in the business. She is a global superstar and this clip isnt about her singing its about her charisma and star quality. I've herad Martha sound better but she still sound good in this clip and her voice is still the best voice that has ever graced the Motown label and before I take that back i'll add to it.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Or lower their key and try not to hit the notes they can no longer hit. Martha still sounds alright when she keeps her voice in a lower, bluesy register.
    Amen. There are way too many people who just cannot hit the notes.
    Who wants to start a movement?

Drop the Keys! haha

I love Roberta's Martha posts. Just wanted to say that.

Love these posts by all of you, particulary the Copley review and Roberta's post.

You all love Martha a lot for what she was and she would be happy to read what you wrote I think.

Watching this video, I got the feeling that Martha isn't all that deluded about her singing abilities........something about singing with your back turned to the audience for a while suggested to me that the lady ain't all that naive. She just likes what she's doin.

jobeterob

I agree, Martha just likes what she does - and sometime does just what she likes....LOL

Always professional, if maybe inclined to be a little inconsistent from one performance to another, yet also totally inspired, if an audience is really behind her.

Somewhere, I have a cutting from a UK music paper. A review by Vicki Wickham of a performance by Martha in, I believe, the 70s, which included the phrase ..."Martha clearly thought it was still the 60s. She looked bad, and sounded worse...."

Well, three or four decades later, if some people are still saying it, Martha really must be doing something right...LOL

The best thing to say is what Martha herself signs in her own dedications : "Love and God Bless"
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 12-06-2012 at 08:15 PM.

Let's also keep in mind, that recordings on cellphones can sound shrill, and that affects the sound of the voice. If you notice in that clip, the saxophone sounds shrill and grating as well. Is a saxophone a shrill and grating instrument? No, it's not. You guys can't see past the limitation of the recording.

That's bull and you know it. Martha sounds a H.A.M. I've seen her live and this is how she sounds. I don't agree that she sounds better singing in a lower key either. But I will tell you this. When I saw her live I couldn't have been more happier or more entertained. She is a Motown Legend and we know how they turned out the best. She is funny, has great stage presence and is a great performer. For me when I saw her live, I was in awe of the legend, but if I had to just focus on her voice- the review would not be pretty. Lets be real here.