[REMOVE ADS]

RIP Simon Barbee of the Barbees

Daughter Lynn Barbee has told me that her father Simon passed away last Saturday on 24 November 2012. The funeral is planned for tomorrow on 1 December in Flint.

Simon's nieces Bertha, Norma [[subsequently members of the Velvelettes) and Joyce backed Simon on their only single released on the Stepp label in 1957 "The Wind"/"Que Pasa". It was produced by Mickey Stevenson.

That's sad John, I spoke to Simon at the time that Kent issued his 60s updating of 'The Wind' that he did with Dave Hamilton. Throughout the conversation he was a charming and fun guy. My condolences to the family. Ady Croasdell

As a post script, I just worked out that his updating of 'The Wind' on the Dave Hamilton CD uses the backing track of Louis Curry 'A Toast To You'