[REMOVE ADS]

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    ^ The Big of Loverpool? Lord...

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Mary is hardly insecure about anything. She is one of the most confident women I know. What is Lynda Laurence doing these days?
    Well the Supreme lady helped me create the Supremely Yours II project, did some solo work in Australia with Gil Askey earlier this year, and gigs as a member of FLOS - with more to come before the end of this year...

Quote Originally Posted by ivyfield View Post
    Well the Supreme lady helped me create the Supremely Yours II project, did some solo work in Australia with Gil Askey earlier this year, and gigs as a member of FLOS - with more to come before the end of this year...
    Thank you! That was all I was asking before getting smart-assed responses from others.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    Westgrandboulevard, Stephanie and anyone else who wants My Supremes and worry they won't be able to get it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/My-Supremes-...item257859d8ad

Ivyfield, I get your point.
    Thanks. Common sense HAS to prevail here otherwise it might as well be called the Motown National Enquirer...

Thank you kamasu for posting the ebay link; I was able to purchase for $7.99 with free shipping. I have looked at several outlets in Minnesota and have yet to find anything.

The ebay listing is gone and it's not on Amazon; it anyone spots one again, can they post please.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    The ebay listing is gone and it's not on Amazon; it anyone spots one again, can they post please.
    It might be sold out. When I purchased, there were 10 copies and only 2 available. I might have gotten one of the last.

I'm sure it'll pop up again, with a premium price, no doubt.

But it sounds like others have been able to find it easily; I guess I just didn't want to take the chance of missing out.

Here's one, Buy It Now for $8.99.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/My-Supremes-...60932944045%26

Walked into Target this morning and they had a bunch of them. Got mine.

Here's another for auction, 4 bids, already at $15.00:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mary-Wilson-...60932944045%26

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    That one only ships to U.S. There's another, currently $15 but bids are rising.

Thank you! That was all I was asking before getting smart-assed responses from others.
    Very amusing marv2. Did you ever think if you showed respect to others you might receive the same? You have made more than your share of "smart assed" remarks on here. That's the pot calling the kettle black. Grow up and then, and only then, you might see a change of attitude towards you.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanj06 View Post
    Very amusing marv2. Did you ever think if you showed respect to others you might receive the same? You have made more than your share of "smart assed" remarks on here. That's the pot calling the kettle black. Grow up and then, and only then, you might see a change of attitude towards you.
    Blow it out your ear!

Blow it out your ear!
    Just further proof. Pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanj06 View Post
    Just further proof. Pathetic.
    Stop being a jerk and move on or are you trying to pick a fight?

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Going.....gone!

Thought i was going to read comments on the magazine and photos but we seem to get into a debate over who is supreme.they all are.

Stop being a jerk and move on or are you trying to pick a fight?
    Yes why don't you anyway. You do it all the time. Reverse psychology doesn't work with me. By all means do move on. I know you'll come back with some stupid remark. Go for it. I'm done.

went to Barnes and Noble, they had nothing

Forgive me if this was already posted:

Mary Wilson guests on a popular Australian chat and variety show, comes in around 9:00... wow.

http://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video...-Joe-Camilleri

And then... Gil Askey - ! - the irrepressible - around 22:45... what a memory. And a Motown quiz, besides.

Excellent interview and song! Thank you.

smark21 Guest
    I’m sure a separate thread will be posted on this when it gets closer to air date, but Mary Wilson and Mark Bego have taped an interview with Tavis Smiley to promote the magazine and the interview will air on Smiley’s PBS show next Friday night the 14th.

any comments about whats in the magazine??? and not who is or not a supremes

Quote Originally Posted by davidh View Post
    Thought i was going to read comments on the magazine and photos but we seem to get into a debate over who is supreme.they all are.
    It's a shame, ain't it? You don't get these kind of discussions with the friggin' Temptations! LOL

smark21 Guest
    This is a repost of what I posted on page 2 summing up the magazine:

I’ve finished reading the magazine. Aside from the Lynda was a temp member of The Supremes, there’s nothing controversial in the book. AT least Lynda rates a few mentions. Pedro Ferrer isn’t mentioned at all in this very Mary Wilson-centric publication. But I can’t blame Mary and Mark Bego leaving Pedro out. Overall, the publication puts a positive light on The Supremes—their music, their image, their glamour, their ability to entertain and make people happy and forget their problems. Any of the sadder aspects of their run are either ignored [[like Andantes singing for them or their commercial decline or Motown 25 or RTL) or covered quickly [[Flo’s departure and death, the line up changes in the 70s). The magazine is a gift to the fans to remember the best aspects of the Supremes legacy.

The copy editing/fact checking could have been more thorough. Besides “The Big of Liverpool”, that album is also referred to as “A Little Bit of Liverpool”, lol. The other weakness is that other than an intro article by Mary Wilson [[where she doesn’t call Lynda a temp member), all the other articles are written by Mark Bego. His writing style begins to grate after a while. He’s obviously a loyal fan and friend of Mary Wilson’s, but he gets too worshipful at times, repeatedly calling Mary “the Supreme Supreme”. Too bad a couple of others writers weren’t brought into the project to write celebratory pieces about various aspects of the Supremes’ career and music as it would have made the magazine a much more interesting read. And while I started the thread and spotlighted the “temp member” references, it’s a shame that it didn’t get cut out by the editors as I think this topic will be the main thing Supremes fans will be talking about with regards to this publication.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/My-Supremes-...item2a26c4870b

Here is another listing on eBay for the magazine, for those that can't find it; $9.99 Buy It Now with $3.99 shipping.

Magazine very enjoyable. Great pics-a few I havent seen. Kind of a crash course in Supremistory!

I'm actually glad Mary did this for anniversary reasons and obviously she cut out all the drama so that's good. Hope it's a success.

The original Supremes album covers alone with its highlights, and rare photos, are worth its weight in gold. Perhaps this may not be the last Supremes magazine to come out, I look forward to more, and to Mary's tv blitz on the tv circuit, and thankfully the drama has been cut out..

That picture of Florence and Mary on page 64 was worth the cost of the magazine!

Usually these special-release periodicals stay on the shelf for a longer period than a weekly or a monthly. Does anyone know when this publication might be pulled to go back to the publisher, or even worse - get tossed?

As of yesterday, my local Stop & Shop grocery store still had 8 copies - I don't think any were sold other than the one I purchased. BJs, in the same town had 4 copies. I would hate to see these destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    Usually these special-release periodicals stay on the shelf for a longer period than a weekly or a monthly. Does anyone know when this publication might be pulled to go back to the publisher, or even worse - get tossed?

As of yesterday, my local Stop & Shop grocery store still had 8 copies - I don't think any were sold other than the one I purchased. BJs, in the same town had 4 copies. I would hate to see these destroyed.
    The cover says that the magazine can be displayed until March 4, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post

What town are you in , if you don't mind?

I saw them in a newstand and Stop and Shop in Ct--good distribution!

Still haven't seen any in Minnesota, but my copy via eBay did arrive today.

While I haven't had the chance to look at it in depth, I will say from what I've seen so far, it's definitely worth the purchase price.

I haven't seen any copies for sale in Vancouver, Canada as yet, so to cover the bases, I purchased my copy on eBay for $9.99.

What town are you in , if you don't mind?
    30 miles west of Boston, MA

I received my copy of Mary Wilson's "My Supremes" today. Wow! It's amazing that no other publishing company has previously tapped the market for a photo collection like this before. This magazine has whetted my appetite for a high quality comprehensive large format coffee table book featuring rare Supremes photos as well as their European and world wide record covers. The Beatles,The Rolling Stones and The Jackson Five have been saluted with similar books, but there's never been anything yet of similar quality on The Supremes.
    Last edited by R. Mark Desjardins; 12-11-2012 at 02:42 AM.

I got my copy this weekend at walmarts so many beautiful pictures Florence ablondie Ballard the supreme supreme thank you mary wilson this means everything to me wow fifty years

Outside of a few minor errors, this really is a great addition to any Supremes collectors collection. Mary and Mark did an outstanding job putting this together; the quality is magnificent and it's filled with supreme goodness. Thank you Miss Mary for this lovely magazine. I've mentioned it before, but if you haven't picked this up, don't delay. It's well worth it's purchase price, even more.

Agree with marybrewster 100%! Picked one up at one of the hospitals gift shop in Detroit and it is a very nice magazine. Lots of pictures, some I have never seen before. My purchase price was weird, came to $9.53; but to me, its worth every penny.

revvy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hwume View Post
    Forgive me if this was already posted:

Mary Wilson guests on a popular Australian chat and variety show, comes in around 9:00... wow.

http://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video...-Joe-Camilleri

And then... Gil Askey - ! - the irrepressible - around 22:45... what a memory. And a Motown quiz, besides.

Mary did an excellent job with that song. She really has come into her own. This type of singing is definitely her style. So proud of her!

supremester Guest
    Miss Ross is referred to as" The Supreme Supreme " in many places since 1967 - including the cover of Look magazine in 1969. Mary and Cindy have often been referred to as excess baggage etc over the years - my fave being "hooting owls" you can pretty much find quotes to support anything.
    Lynda being called a temp is bratty, petty and bitchy considering sang lead on her very first gig with the group - not to mention how badly Mary tried to get her to do those South American gigs. I have the Soul Magazine where Mary is practically begging fans to accept new MEMBER Lynda Lawrence - she never called her a temp in that interview. Of course, this is S.O.P. for LaMare so it's not surprising........ just sayin'. Also, if she was a temp, why was Mary shocked when she gave notice?

She is referred to as "temporary" in many places including here:

http://www.angelfire.com/nv/Badfinger/BANDsupremes.html

I'm guessing this is what eventually came of Mary's coffee table book idea. Some years ago she came up with the idea and asked fans to assist with photos. Looking at the photos in this publication I see perhaps three which have not appeared all over the place before, so I suspect the fans might not have come through in the way which Mary thought they might. Since this is in a magazine format and was produced very inexpensively it's going to be very fragile and ephemeral and after a few thumbings-through it will quickly begin to deteriorate. I looked through mine once and then placed it into a protective plastic bag with a piece of cardboard to keep it from getting bent or creased. It's a nice addition to a collection but, in truth, not a very compelling publication.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    I'm guessing this is what eventually came of Mary's coffee table book idea. Some years ago she came up with the idea and asked fans to assist with photos. Looking at the photos in this publication I see perhaps three which have not appeared all over the place before, so I suspect the fans might not have come through in the way which Mary thought they might. Since this is in a magazine format and was produced very inexpensively it's going to be very fragile and ephemeral and after a few thumbings-through it will quickly begin to deteriorate. I looked through mine once and then placed it into a protective plastic bag with a piece of cardboard to keep it from getting bent or creased. It's a nice addition to a collection but, in truth, not a very compelling publication.
    Agreed, not compelling reading, but as a Motownite, I had to have it. I was talking to a magazine distributor acquaintance, who said he had one on his desk, the next time I see him, I will muster the courage to ask if he read it and what he thought of it. Though I suspect he may have obtained it as a momento of the way things used to be, [[pun definitely intended), or to have, as it is sure to become a collectors item. There were some photos I haven't seen numerous times, but the target audience is probably not those of us at this site.

In a very recent interview Mary said she is still going to do coffee table book. She was great on the TSmiley show though he said he felt like a background Supreme as she kind of took over! I swear it sure looks like Florence on the Reflections album cover in the magazine, center right next to Mary--anyone else?

I saw this magazine. Some good pictures in it, but disappointed that it was just a regular magazine. I was expecting something along the lines of the LIFE magazine year end issues that they have, or for issues done on the Beatles, Princess Diana or Elizabeth Taylor. With those the cover is more sturdy. Too bad Mary couldn't find a real publisher this time around for her planned coffee table book.

smark21 Guest
    I doubt Mary is going to find a publisher for her coffee table book. I suspect she’s putting up a front. That magazine is the coffee table book. Just a sign of where the Supremes brand stands these days.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    I doubt Mary is going to find a publisher for her coffee table book. I suspect she’s putting up a front. That magazine is the coffee table book. Just a sign of where the Supremes brand stands these days.
    She has already had offers from publishers. She's being too picky and not accepting their offers. NOW... I finally got my magazine today, and I expected it to be MUCH better than it was. Don't get me wrong, there are some real gems in there.. but there are FAR too many low resolution images, images which need to be color corrected, and the album cover shots? ATROCIOUS! Did Bego just pull these scans off the internet? Because they look like crap. As a photo editor he sucks donkey balls. I could have done a far better job making this look GOOD. And even if he was going to use screen captures, he didn't use very good ones. You need to guage the image in the magazine to the size of your original image or SMALLER, and if you have to blow it up too large, you will lose resolution, hence, only use high quality 8X10's for full page photos. The picture on the BACK COVER looks awful! And me and many fans have the crystal clear 8X10 of that picture, and shrinking it down to that size should have made it so clear it would knock your socks off! Between that and the typos, a VERY amatuerish job, looks like it was just thrown together... but seeing how many books Bego has written, his stock and trade is obviously just throwing things together. Like I said, there are some GEMS that were scanned and done properly, but the bad ones bring down the look of the entire magazine. And if the front cover was simply a pic of DMF in a glamor shot, then this would sell more copies. The cover I feel is too busy, and the pic of Mary should have been inside the front cover, with a lovely foreward written by her on page 1.
    Last edited by jillfoster; 12-18-2012 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Maybe the coffee table book is going be released in conjunction with Marys new CD.

Roberta