[QUOTE=marv2;133644]David Nathan's 1974 Interview with Mary Wilson on Changes Within the Supremes

By David Nathan
Copyright [[c) 2010 by David Nathan/Soul Music.com
Home > SOUL MUSIC INTERVIEWS & FEATURES > Classic Interviews & Features > CLASSIC FEATURE: The Supremes 1974 Interview

PERHAPS MORE than any other female group around today, The Supremes have undergone what seem like almost regular personnel changes and to my mind, it's quite amazing that the institution as such, still exists....... Now comes the news of yet more changes and David Nathan got the chance to check out with Mary Wilson, the only remaining original Supreme, exactly what's been happening...

"Well, let me explain. Cindy Birdsong has come back into the group, having had a baby and she's now back permanently. Linda [[Laurence) was only brought in on a temporary basis anyway, just to take over from Cindy. Jean Terrell just resigned from the group – I really can't tell you why because I don't know – she just left. Anyway, we now have Sherrie Payne [[Freda's sister) to replace Jean. [Quote]

As much as we fans love Mary and all the Supremes, Mary seems to flip-flop so easily. In writing her second book in 1990, Mary devotes many pages to explaining why Jean left. She also never mentions Lynda as a 'temporary' replacement.

If you quote the words of a 1974 interview as the end-all gospel truth, then you are calling Mary a liar for writing what she did in 1994!

And consider this quote from "Supreme Faith' pg 108
"I didn't know what to think. I was looking for a new girl to take Jean's place , WITHOUT KNOWING if I should be filling Lynda's place too. The executive who criticized Jean and Lynda never owned up to how the business drove these women to be that way. I understood where Jean and Lynda were coming from, perhaps too well. They were just rebelling.