[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    but I can't imagine her music will have the kind of impact that the Sups' did, or the decades-long "shelf life."
    Imagine it.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post

You never heard /read me claim shit. Least of all being a Diane Ross fan. It is quite the opposite. I am not a fan!
    OK, it's cool. I'm just saying that "Why Do Fools Fall In Love" was a huge album with at least two top 10 singles from it, and one more single that were in the top 30. It came out near the end of 1981. Maybe you stopped listening to pop music by that time, I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I remember the buzz about Madonna tying with the Supremes when "Music" hit number-one way back in 2000.
    Exactly! However, there are people here that live so far in the past that they fon't even know about things that happened in the 80s!

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Exactly! However, there are people here that live so far in the past that they fon't even know about things that happened in the 80s!
    Yeah some people are still stuck in the '60s and '70s and went to sleep in the '80s.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Good post Kenneth. The audiences for everything are so scattered these days that the impact is definitely lessened. Who knows if Rhianna will have a lasting impact. I only know here for the Chris Brown affair as well. But she seems to have an extensive body of work that has been successful. And she seems to have some sense of style and a look, both of which matter. Whether she has any brains is another matter; she may go the way of Barbra Streisand but she might go the way of Whitney Houston and she gives a lot of indications of the later.
    I look at Rihanna as more of a Donna Summer type of artist. She followed orders in the beginning, but gradually took control, and, while she has the vocal chops, she doesn't always use them, and everything she does is for the music.

A question about being professional and/or a professional. I suppose I am what you class "a professional" by occupation. It is irrelevant to how or what I post on here and how abrasive it can be. I am sure I am abrasive to Marv and Luke; they deserve it; they are routinely rude and ignorant to a soul music icon. Several people on here are quite pleased if I kick their ass from time to time. Many others abandoned SD because of them. So I make no apology for my reasoned ignorance from time to time.
    But, Ralph has made it clear that it is against the forum rules, and will not look back if he decides to ban someone for it, so be careful. There was another person on this thread who did the same thing a couple of days ago and is now gone.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    A question about being professional and/or a professional. I suppose I am what you class "a professional" by occupation. It is irrelevant to how or what I post on here and how abrasive it can be. I am sure I am abrasive to Marv and Luke; they deserve it; they are routinely rude and ignorant to a soul music icon. Several people on here are quite pleased if I kick their ass from time to time. Many others abandoned SD because of them. So I make no apology for my reasoned ignorance from time to time.
    Jobeterob, I'm not sure if you meant that question for me or not. I have not usually found comments you make to be abrasive, though I think once I took something you said as dissing the US and bristled at it. As I recall, we chatted about it "back channel" and it wasn't a big deal.

Being a fan of both ladies, I try to stay out of the Diane v. Mary fray, though at times it's hard to hold back at some of the things that get flung back and forth!

Have a good day.

From what I can gather from the last couple of posts, there is some disagreement going on. In all honesty, I don't see anything I can't live with. Just try and keep the conversation on topic and civil.

Gosh, no Kenneth. My apologies to you for that appearing that way.

I'm only abrasive to a couple people and they know who they are, and that's just fine too. They are abrasive to me and others too and it's simply a disagreement over how to treat Soul Music icons, be they Supreme or not.

I guess Rhianna is daring to reach the heights of popularity of certain Supremes and so the Supreme's make their usual return to Love and to haunt the Forum!

[QUOTE=jobeterob;132635]Gosh, no Kenneth. My apologies to you for that appearing that way./QUOTE]

It wasn't an issue, but thanks anyway...K

Rihanna lands first No. 1 album, Adele hits sales milestone
    It's ladies ... er, day, on the Billboard charts, as both Rihanna and Adele have cause to celebrate.

For Rihanna, the seventh record was the charm and the 24-year-old singer now has her first No. 1 album on the Billboard 200 with "Unapologetic." The album debuted at the top of the chart after its release last week.

The disc, which infamously hosts a song featuring Rihanna's former ex and current pal Chris Brown, sold 238,000 copies. Her first single from "Unapologetic," "Diamonds," is still at No. 1 on Billboard's Hot 100.

And while we haven't heard from Adele since her "Skyfall" theme - granted, she's been busy with the birth of her first child – the Brit singer is still dominating album sales. Her sophomore album "21" was the top seller in 2011 and is on track to come out as the best-selling album of 2012, as well.

According to her label, "21" has surpassed 10 million copies sold in the States, making Adele the only female Brit or European artist to earn a Diamond Certification from the RIAA.

More ecstatic for Adele.

smark21 Guest
    To go diamond in this age of sharing, streaming and stealing is quite a sales feat.