[REMOVE ADS]

Rhino [Warner Bros, Atlantic] Five LP release Packages

I'm currently in Germany and have been pleasantly surprised by what's available in the chain stores. Five pacs were scored on Margie Josephs, Wilson Pickett and Chaka Khan for 10 Euros each. Offerings by Dionne Warwick, the Spinners, and others were passed by because their catalogs populate the collection already. The bottom line is that 15 albums were purchased for about $ 40. Has my head been in the sand at home and not noticed that these were available?

Also seen were Supremes at the Copa, Eddie Holland, and a 2-Disk Vinyl of the MoWest Story. It's good to get out of the US and see what is available elsewhere. The luxury of the internet probably has made me lazy. In the dawn of the CD, before the internet, shopping trips were made to Japan and Europe just to get what the US majors were not putting out.

Quote Originally Posted by nabob View Post
    I'm currently in Germany and have been pleasantly surprised by what's available in the chain stores. Five pacs were scored on Margie Josephs, Wilson Pickett and Chaka Khan for 10 Euros each. Offerings by Dionne Warwick, the Spinners, and others were passed by because their catalogs populate the collection already. The bottom line is that 15 albums were purchased for about $ 40. Has my head been in the sand at home and not noticed that these were available?

Also seen were Supremes at the Copa, Eddie Holland, and a 2-Disk Vinyl of the MoWest Story. It's good to get out of the US and see what is available elsewhere. The luxury of the internet probably has made me lazy. In the dawn of the CD, before the internet, shopping trips were made to Japan and Europe just to get what the US majors were not putting out.
    A number of labels have done similiar repackaging of their back catalog. I copped Slave and Bootsy's Rubber Band from the Rhino series, and I copped a Gil Scott-Heron package from Sony BMG. You really can't wrong with this series.

I wish other labels [[Motown/Universal) would package some of its albums this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    I wish other labels [[Motown/Universal) would package some of its albums this way.
    I think Sony & Warner got the idea from Universal: The Miracles, The Marvelettes. They didn't invest in liner notes, bonus cuts and photos as Universal has for its SELECT releases.

Quote Originally Posted by nabob View Post
    I think Sony & Warner got the idea from Universal: The Miracles, The Marvelettes. They didn't invest in liner notes, bonus cuts and photos as Universal has for its SELECT releases.
    But Universal/Motown has only marketed albums by two artists this way and they weren't sold at bargain prices. There are early albums by Stevie Wonder, Jr. Walker, Marvin Gaye, Mary Wells and others that could be marketed in this way.

I'm not sure whether it was Rhino UK [[WEA) or Sony [[UK) that started these 5 LP releases, but they have both been issuing them for several years. As far as I know, nothing has been remastered specifically for these releases, but supposedly the best sounding available masters are used. WEA calls their releases "Original Album Series" and Sony calls theirs "Original Album Classics. " One difference I have noticed is that if an album has been issued with bonus tracks, Sony may include those bonus tracks with their Original Album Classics. I have yet to see WEA include any bonus tracks in their Original Album Series. Another difference is that SONY has also issued some lower priced 3 LP releases for artists whose catalog is not deep enough to contain 5 LPs [[examples include Shuggie Otis, Anastacia, and Fleetwood Mac [[the Peter Green blues band version of the group).

These 5 LP releases are a good way to get a lot of music at a reasonable price. It's also a way to pick up music that is otherwise out of print. For example, I purchased the Original Album Series release by the Young Rascals which contains their first five Atlantic LPs. Most of these albums are currently out of print and going for bigger bucks than I wanted to pay.