[REMOVE ADS]

Smokey's Song Writing as a Solo Performer

I've often wondered about this but never read or seen it discussed anywhere. To me, Smokey's genius at writing great songs was much more evident when he was a member of the Miracles than when he was a solo performer. Does anyone else feel this way? To me it seems like as a member of the Miracles there were endless great songs [[my all time favorite being "The Love I Saw in You Was Just a Mirage") with beautiful poetic imagery and ironic lyrics.

Although he wrote some good songs as a solo artist, to me they pale in comparison. A few notable exceptions to me are "I've Made Love to You 1,000 Times" as well as "Being With You." But most of the solo material seems a bit forced or pedestrian compared to the work he produced while a Miracle.

I wonder if it had to do with his losing his song writing partners, if most of his solo material was actually written solo. I'm not sure, but maybe that explains some of it.

Or maybe you disagree. I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.
    Last edited by kenneth; 11-13-2012 at 12:56 AM.

I'd suggest that Smokey's writing changed as a consequence of getting older, and also as a consequence of changing times.

The kinds of songs that he wrote in the 70s and thereafter were often less "instant" than his 60s smashes but had different, subtler qualities instead.

Check out "Just My Soul Responding", for instance. A different song for a different age. It would have sunk in the 60s.

He still wrote classic ballads, however, but not so many people were listening.

Check out "Madam X". A collaboration with the late Marv Tarplin [[as many of his smash hits were).

"To you I'm Mr X, X'd out now, X-cluded.
    Times when I've tried to be in I've in-vaded, in-truded."

Really clever wordplay and a strong melody, but probably ten years too late to be a worldwide smash.

Then check out the last three tracks from "Warm Thoughts". Smokey wrote the first two but the three of them together make for a really fabulous way to close the album. No hits there, just brilliant late night listening, with the lights down low.

I'd therefore venture that his genius might have been less evident during his solo career but only because his commercial profile was lower and, therefore, less people witnessed that genius in action.

I have to agree with soto... Though I loved the things a young Smokey wrote for dancing
    and crushing kids, it was when he became older he became better at addressing adult issues
    and problems as Just My Soul Responding , mentioned by soto made clear....I 'd also have
    to add that Holly is one of my favorite of his solo works, having had a few Holly's in my lifetime...friends and even relatives..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pw9sDUhaCw

I think what crippled Smokey in the 70s was that he had less collaborations on his work and less variation in his work. He mostly wrote ballads and love songs. Also, he was crippled by not having the Funk Brothers to augment his productions. In the 1970s Motown would pair Smokey with other producers in an attempt to kickstart his career every few years. It was outside producers that gave him his last two hits One Heartbeat and Just To See Her.

This thread has provided some food for thought. I have marveled at Smokey Robinson's tunesmith prowess myself and have personally pondered how he got into the mindset to write material like "No More Tear Stained Makeup." I was really taken aback when Elvis Costello performed the song on his series when he spotlighted Smokey a few years back. But it somehow worked and made sense.

Kenneth - I'm glad to see you mentioned "The Love I Saw In You Was Just A Mirage." I had the good luck to see Smokey perform this live in the Vancouver, Canada area three years back. However, he had transformed it into a smoking hot anthem and I was absolutely stunned how contemporary and hip it came across. I have searched Youtube many times hoping that someone had posted a clip of this new arrangement, but to date no luck.

Smokey opened the show that evening with Going To A Go Go, complete with two seductive go-go girls and him slithering on stage in a silver lame tux. The audience went wild and Smokey had us in rapture for the rest of the performance. A class act all the way!

Interesting question. I kind of agree with Bayouman, maybe it had something to do with the collaborators on some of those early songs. Also times changed and the way people wrote songs was effected. I've thought the same thing about Holland- Dozier -Holland. It seems to me after they formed Invicus, their songwriting lost something.

Thanks Kamasu, I think the HDH melodies were just as catch, they also suffered from not having the Funk Bros backing them. Those Funk Bros didn't get near the recognition they deserved until they were gone

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    Thanks Kamasu, I think the HDH melodies were just as catch, they also suffered from not having the Funk Bros backing them. Those Funk Bros didn't get near the recognition they deserved until they were gone
    True. Earl Van Dyke said the funks often added things the writers and producers had not thought of. I thought HDH's melodies were still catchy but they were writing cliches for lyrics like Too Many Cooks Spoil the Soup. Didn't they write this? I think it says R. Dunbar on the label. HDH admitted they used that name.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 11-13-2012 at 02:29 PM.

In his biography, Inside My Life,Smokey discusses drug dependency in the mid 80s and an extra marital affair. Both experiences would induce turmoil in any life and would certainly limit creativity. By that time he was mostly using material from other writers.

Check out Keith and Darrell's "You're My Gardener" [[Tamla 54329). Classic Smokey lyrics and melody, and it's as late as 1981.

Kam, R. Dunbar was Ron Dunbar, a real person who George Clinton said wrote more for
    HDH than he was ever given credit for. The alias HDH wrote under was Edith Wayne from what I remember...George should know having been at both Invictus and Motown and Ron
    later worked a lot with GC on material for The Brides of Funkenstein and Parlet...

An interesting post with one of if not my favorite writers, on one of my favorite subjects, songwriting.

Micheal Jordan in his early years did not resemble the Championship Years Micheal Jordan, who did not resemble the Retirement Era Micheal Jordan. IMHumbleO, Smokey did write great songs with others in the 60's and made great records. The records less the Funks were not as good, but the songs were good, but not great, I think because so much of it was written alone. We all age, and circumstances change one. As a writer, you pray that you can write a Tracks Of My tears. Smokey just happened to do it at least on thirty two other times.

Also figure into the time factor that one's imagination must surely begins to dry up. Typically, a Smokey song sounded like a Smokey song. He preferred ballads and sad stories and just didn't do as well with the uptempo music which usually sells more.

I also think Smokey did some of his finest works on other artists. You Beat Me To The Punch and My Guy for Mary Wells, My Girl and Since I Lost My Baby on the Temps, Operator on Brenda Holloway, Hunter Gets Captured, Don't Mess WIth Bill, Magician on the Marvelettes and Floy Joy on the Supremes. One of his many overlooked gems was My Smile Is Just A Frown on Carolyn Crawford, Malinda on Bobby Taylor and a really funky Don't Wanna Play Pajama Games on GC Cameron. He could seem to tap into other artists styles as much, if not better, than his own.

Good point about being able to tap into other artists. Ashford and Simpson recorded excellent songs on other artists that they could have recorded themselves on as well.

Ron Dunbar was a real person and a Baaaaddd mother of a writer and arranger.

Good post,time and age takes a toll on us all and songwriters are no exception i too think that the solo smokey worked more closely with other writers and it's shows in his work from that era[70's-80's]but when the inspiration hit him he's still the best just listen to what i refer to as the greatest song of lost love ever written...i can't find!

A lot of great viewpoints...thanks guys.