[REMOVE ADS]

Major Harris Died

Marshall Thompson of the Chi-Lites just posted on Facebook that Major Harris died today.

R.I.P. Major...received the call around 11:00 a.m. stating you've your transition. Thanks for the music and memories.

Quote Originally Posted by KraigDiesel View Post
    R.I.P. Major...received the call around 11:00 a.m. stating you've your transition. Thanks for the music and memories.
    RIP Mr Harris and my prayers go out to his family, friends and fans.

'Philly sound' R&B singer Major Harris dies at 65

MICHAEL FELBERBAUM
    RICHMOND, Va. — Major Harris, a former member of the "Philadelphia sound" soul group the Delfonics and singer of the 1975 hit "Love Won't Let Me Wait," has died in Richmond. He was 65.

His sister, Catherine Thomas, told The Associated Press that Harris passed away Friday morning from congestive heart and lung failure after being rushed to a hospital.

The Richmond native was born Feb. 9, 1947, and grew up in a musical family. His father was a guitarist and his mother led the church choir, Thomas said.

In his teens, Harris was tall for his age and was able to get into clubs to watch musicians perform, she said.

"He always appeared to be older, which gave him a lot of ins to a lot of older places," Thomas joked.

She said he didn't drink in the clubs back then, but he was pursuing his career. Music, she said, "was his life."

Harris made the rounds with several music groups in the 1960s, including the Charmers, Frankie Lymon's Teenagers and Nat Turner's Rebellion.

He then joined the Delfonics in the early 1970s, replacing Randy Cain in the group known for their hits "La-La [[Means I Love You)" and "Didn't I [[Blow Your Mind This Time)."

Harris left the group in 1974 to pursue a solo career. He recorded a string of R&B singles, including "Love Won't Let Me Wait," which peaked at No. 5 in the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 chart and was certified as a gold record by the Recording Industry Association of America. The song was covered by Johnny Mathis and Deniece Williams in 1994 and again by Luther Vandross on his 1988 album "Any Love."

Harris last performed in 2011 at a reunion show with some of the members of the Delfonics, Thomas said.

I enjoyed his work and am sadden to learn of his passing. Rest in peace Major and thanks man.

Marv

A true talent, I've seen some of his vinyl albums around my town at the indie record store. Looks like I'll have to get them. "Love Won't Let Me Wait" is one of the most awesome soul songs of all time, a real classic. Thanks, Major, for the memories.

Just read this via Facebook and came here to confirm...another great singer and another tremendous loss. RIP, Major, and thank you...

Best,

Mark

MAJOR HARRIS???? OHH MANNNN, I've just bought my Atlantic R&B Volume 8 not so long ago, partly to groove with that master of early seventies bedroom balladry - even more so than Marvin's "Let's Get It On" and Billy Paul's "Me And Mrs. Jones"...Even before then, THANK YOU for those memories, listenin' to Quiet Storm evenings on my favorite soul station....REST IN PEACE.

It was such a shock when this news broke early evening in England last night, what a sweet soul guy Major truly was, with The Delfonics, the single "Love Won't Let Me Wait" is a True Soul Ballad Classic!

Sincere Condoleneces to his Family.

May Major Rest in Peace and thanks for the Joy he brought us with his Music, Memories that can never be taken away.

I first heard Major Harris on the Delfonics Think It Over and I thought he was a more than
    impressive replacement for Randy Cain who'd left. When he [[Major) went solo and scored
    right out the box with Love Won't Let Me Wait I remember I was in Texas staying in a hotel
    and when I went down to eat the song was playing on the jukebox. A waitress said I'm getting sick of that song, just about everybody who comes in plays it. A man, I assume her boss, behind the counter said Shut up, that song payed your salary this week...
    RIP, Major.....

with the Delfonics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-SkXtnqQNw

So sorry to hear this.
    Agreat talent.
    Our prayers go out to the family.
    The Original Tymes

Another legend gone[love won't let me wait]will live on as one of the greatest soul songs ever...r.i.p.

Oh man!!!!! this is a major loss to the history of R&B ,and the sad thing is , those that really need to know and recognise who Major is and how important he was to todays music ,don't have a m.f. clue. Just last week I had a conversation about Luther's version or Major's "Love Won't Let Me Wait". While I love me some Luther , Majors version is the definitive version , hands down.

Major Harris , thank you for sharing your talent with us. May you rest in peace!!!
    Last edited by daddyacey; 11-11-2012 at 01:51 AM.

R.I.P Mr Major Harris,your music will live on

R.I.P. Mr. Major Harris... I save my copy of "Magic, Major, Margie... Live!" as a great treasure with the fine voices of these three great Philly acts. An embrace to his family and friends from Spain.

Major

thanks for the songs

RIP

edafan

I'm not really a ballad type of dude, but "Love Won't Let Me Wait" may be the most beautiful ballad ever crafted by humans.