[REMOVE ADS]

Barney Ales & Berry

does any body knows...Wht happened to their relationship??? There are NO recent photos of them...Please some good analytical thoughts here..No Ms Rae told me.......!!!!!!

Wasn't Barney Ales, the next president of Motown Records in the late '70's, when Berry was spending more time as president of Motown Productions and CEO of Motown Industries? This was when Berry didn't have as much time for the day to day overseeing of the record company. I also seem to recall that Barney's son, worked in the promotion department as Barney and family moved out to LA, when Motown moved.

I was close! Just looked up some more info.... Ewart Abner took over as president from Motown from Berry Gordy in 1973 and Barney Ales, took over from Ewart Abner in 1975. Jay Lasker took over from Barney Ales in 79.

Have a feeling that Suzanne de Passe took over from Jay Lasker sometime in the early '80's. Can't remember if was before or after Motown 25.

I have no current Barney Ales news.
    But I do know he co-wrote BUTTERED POPCORN with BG.
    Don't know if he wrote more.

This is a great thread, Dvus7. Like you, I, too, would be interested to hear about Barney today.
    Last edited by Methuselah2; 11-06-2012 at 10:29 PM.

If you ever listen to the "Barnely Ales" recordings.......He takes alot of credit of the "behind the scenes" in Motown..i.e. the "demotion of Mary Wells" and the "mob" influence within Motown!!!!

I agree with dvus7--I doubt he actually "wrote" any song. I do know he worked for Scepter
    Records before joining Motown and when he started a label, Prodigal Records, he signed
    Shirley of the Shirelles to record as he knew her. Some think his label was a Motown
    label or connected to Motown, but I don't believe it was. I think he was totally
    separated from Motown by that point.

Motown bought Prodigal in 1974.

Nothing on any of the 45s or lps issued on Prodigal that I saw gave any
    clue this label was connected with Motown. And, of course, that
    doesn't mean the label wasn't. I think Shirley had two lps and a few
    singles on the label and I think the first single was issued in the fall
    of '74 or even later perhaps. Anyone?

Motown bought Prodigal Records, because they bought back Barney Ales.....JUst like they bought Shelly Berger's managment company when he came to Motown!!

One of the true un sung heros of Motown

BA

Really got the distribution out to everyone and that really help put Motown through the roof.

I would love to see his book come out.

I think that Mr. Ales, unintentionally, removed the family atmosphere, when he reqeusted and recieved a portion of the "gross profit"...That made every decision a business decision, and removed all loyalty!!!