[REMOVE ADS]

The Delectable Miss D -- Diana Ross promo record

This may have been discussed before, but it is new to me. I came across the following UK 1988 promo record:
    http://connect.collectorz.com/music/...miss-d-3664070
    What surprises me it that the tracklist includes "The Interim", which would mean that the track was already released before the 2002 expanded edition of Diana Ross [[1970) came out.

Does anybody know more about this record?

Jaap

alanbill1074 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    This may have been discussed before, but it is new to me. I came across the following UK 1988 promo record:
    http://connect.collectorz.com/music/...miss-d-3664070
    What surprises me it that the tracklist includes "The Interim", which would mean that the track was already released before the 2002 expanded edition of Diana Ross [[1970) came out.

Does anybody know more about this record?

Jaap
    Yes.

It is a 1988 BBC airplay CD, so quanties were very limited and promo only. It was the first CD to feature "You Were The One" as well as the unreleased "The Interim".

A BBC LP also exists from the same time frame that includes the track, making it the only time the song ever appeared on vinyl.

I was lucky to locate both many years ago. The LP has a black sleeve and I think one side is Diana and the other Nancy Wilson [[it's in the attic so haven't got it to hand) but the CD cover shot is from the cover of "One More Chance".

Quote Originally Posted by alanbill1074 View Post
    Yes.

It is a 1988 BBC airplay CD, so quanties were very limited and promo only. It was the first CD to feature "You Were The One" as well as the unreleased "The Interim".

A BBC LP also exists from the same time frame that includes the track, making it the only time the song ever appeared on vinyl.

I was lucky to locate both many years ago. The LP has a black sleeve and I think one side is Diana and the other Nancy Wilson [[it's in the attic so haven't got it to hand) but the CD cover shot is from the cover of "One More Chance".
    Thanks! Fascinating how those unreleased songs pop up in the weirdest places, and surprising that it is not mentioned in the liner notes of the expanded Diana Ross [[1970)...

alanbill1074 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    Thanks! Fascinating how those unreleased songs pop up in the weirdest places, and surprising that it is not mentioned in the liner notes of the expanded Diana Ross [[1970)...
    I paid a lot for the CD, given its rarity and the two obscure tracks on there. I've seen it go on sale more recently for $500, although that market price would be hard to justify now that "The Interim" is freely available.

I've never seen the BBC album come up for sale again though. I have several of those, including a Diana Ross one called "Remember Me" and a Supremes one called "Automatically Sunshine". They had very oddball artwork with lots of bright coloured lines zig-zagging all over a black background, and a small picture of the artist up in the corner of the LP cover. Don't recall there being any unusual tracks on those two LPS in terms of unique versions, although they were a mix n match of singles and LP tracks.

"The Delectable Miss D" is probably my rarest Diana item, along with a scarce Japan promo "30 Years Of Music" and an autographed "Not Over You Yet" CD single.

There are quite a few of those 'BBC airplay' LP's that feature Motown acts, I have at least 6 or 7 [[though no D.R. or Supremes ones as I ain't really intertested in them).

alanbill1074 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    There are quite a few of those 'BBC airplay' LP's that feature Motown acts, I have at least 6 or 7 [[though no D.R. or Supremes ones as I ain't really intertested in them).
    It seems to have been an exercise in space saving - an album of a key artist featuring a variety of hits and memorable album tracks on one record rather than lots of 7" singles or LPs. No doubt Motowns' co-operation in them assured a certain amount of play on BBC radio, although I would expect it was common practice for many catalogue artists, I've just never looked for them. I've seen a Tempts one on ebay occasionally.

Another BBC Supremes related record ......

Attachment 5595

alanbill1074 Guest
    Although not Motown, there is a link here which shows a Blondie catalogue LP for anyone interested what they looked like:

http://www.recmod.com/radio.html

Look for the BBC Radioplay Music entry 1/3 the way down the page.

HA! - I'll wait for the Hipo-select 12" dance mix...