[REMOVE ADS]

Mary Wells Backed by The Supremes

Since this is a big season for Mary Wells releases [[and a biography, too!!!), I am interested in knowing which of her tracks featured The Supremes on backup. Because Mary's recordings were at the dawn of the Motown era, I have always noticed that we do not have as much detail in liner notes. This is understandable, but I would enjoy learning more about The Supremes participation. Thanks!

1. You Lost The Sweetest Boy [[Supremes & Temptations)
    2. My Heart Is Like A Clock

I think I hear Diana in the background of THE DAY WILL COME, but I don't know for sure.

Free From Your Spell

I think "My Heart Is Like A Clock" could have been a hit in '63.One time I asked Mary who she thought was the best female group at Motown & without hesitation she said "the Supremes" when I asked her about lead singer without hesitation she said "Martha".This was in the early 70's.

Here's what I believe/hear them backing Mary on:
    Strange Love
    Come To Me
    Bad Boy
    I'm Gonna Stay
    You Lost The Sweetest Boy
    My Heart Is LIke A Clock
    Whisper You Love Me Boy
    Honey Boy
    Have A Little Patience And Wait

Not 100% sure about one or two but Andy Skurow has confirmed several of these [[via Mary Wilson) and some are incontestable as you can clearly hear Flo &/or Diana in particular

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    I think "My Heart Is Like A Clock" could have been a hit in '63.One time I asked Mary who she thought was the best female group at Motown & without hesitation she said "the Supremes" when I asked her about lead singer without hesitation she said "Martha".This was in the early 70's.
    I think she's right on the spot. Best female Motown-performance/singers are The Supremes. In the early days mainly because of the backing power+performance, not so much for the leading vocals though. Later on Jean en Scherrie brought more leading vocal power. But they never reached the vocal power Martha had in her whole career at Motown.

Quote Originally Posted by markdtiller View Post
    Here's what I believe/hear them backing Mary on:
    Strange Love
    Come To Me
    Bad Boy
    I'm Gonna Stay
    You Lost The Sweetest Boy
    My Heart Is LIke A Clock
    Whisper You Love Me Boy
    Honey Boy
    Have A Little Patience And Wait

Not 100% sure about one or two but Andy Skurow has confirmed several of these [[via Mary Wilson) and some are incontestable as you can clearly hear Flo &/or Diana in particular
    Is there any word Why the Supremes did this? I mean, the Andantes were there to use....or were those records before the "Andantes-era"?

Jerry.

The Supremes [[and most of the other groups) sang backing on many others artists records, up until from 60-65 when they hit big. They also sang on records by other Detroit labels in the first few years.

RossHolloway Guest
    Didn't the Supreme's also sing backup on a Barbara McNair track or two? Or did she just use a backing track with the Supreme's background vocals?

Good question Hulswood.

They back Barbara on
    You're Gonna Love My Baby
    The Touch Of Time

The B side of Kim Weston's "Love Me All The Way" is "It Should Have Been Me" and it is very
    clear it is the Supremes-Diana, Mary & Flo on backups. Gladys Knight later had a huge hit
    with this song, but a much different take on it. However, both versions are Norman
    Whitfield productions.
    I don't believe the Supremes are on Strange Love or Bad Boy by Mary Wells--I think it is
    the Andantes. I also think Mary's version of Whisper You Love Me Boy is the Andantes.

Also, by the time Barbara McNair came to Motown, the Supremes were
    big stars. Those recordings were probably previously done with the
    Supremes on backup vocals and in the vaults with no final lead vocals.

"Strange Love" was cut at an outside session, probably in New York, and I doubt whether Motown would have sent the Supremes there to sing backing vocals; more likely they would have used a group of local singers which would have cost them the price of a three-hour session, without overheads.

Quote Originally Posted by Hulswood View Post
    Is there any word Why the Supremes did this? I mean, the Andantes were there to use....or were those records before the "Andantes-era"?

Jerry.
    I read somewhere that in the early days they just used whoever happened to be in the studio at the time.

Is there a complete list of what songs the supremes did background vocals on?

i know:
    Can I Get A Witness by Marvin Gaye

plus i think there's one or two tempations songs

plus weren't they invited to come up on stage on the Four Tops Roostertail show for 1 number?

The Supremes are not on Mary Wells' version of "Whisper You Love Me Boy." Those are clearly the Andantes.

And for some outside artists--Eddie Floyd...

Didn't the Supremes and a couple of the Andantes sing together backup for a couple Jerry Butler songs?

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I read somewhere that in the early days they just used whoever happened to be in the studio at the time.
    That's what I always heard too. The Temptations and the Miracles also sang on some of Mary Wells hits as well as other artist. You can clearly hear Eddie singing behind Mary on "Two Lovers" [[He was the only Temp on that one having filled in for a recently deceased Love-tone)

I remember hearing that Mary Wilson sang with the Miracles on "Mickey's Monkey." You can hear there's more than just one woman singing. I could swear I hear her bleed through at the very end on the extended mix that came out on "The Motown Box."

I have started a new post on Supremes Backing Vocals as this is clearly extending beyond those for Mary Wells.
    Last edited by markdtiller; 11-04-2012 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by greg jones View Post
    Is there a complete list of what songs the supremes did background vocals on?

i know:
    Can I Get A Witness by Marvin Gaye

plus i think there's one or two tempations songs

plus weren't they invited to come up on stage on the Four Tops Roostertail show for 1 number?
    Mary Wilson is on The Miracles "Mickey's Monkey".

Diana Ross said they were doing the backups to Mary Well's "My Guy".

isn't Mary Wells version of Honey Boy backed by the Andantes as well as He Holds His Own or are bothe the A's and the Sup's on those tracks. I know the sups do those songs on the MHbtsupremes.albums.

Yes, they do those songs, but I think they use the same backing tracks Mary recorded
    with. I don't know that Diana said they backed up My Guy because that is clearly
    the Andantes.

I've gone all out and started another related thread listing solo backing vocals the Supremes contributed to before and after Motown.

Quote Originally Posted by randy_russi View Post
    Yes, they do those songs, but I think they use the same backing tracks Mary recorded
    with. I don't know that Diana said they backed up My Guy because that is clearly
    the Andantes.
    She said it on CKLW in a 1976 interview they did with her.