[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Tri phi/harvey

Tri phi/harvey

I spotted what I assume are bootlegs, but three volumes of recordings from the Tri Phi / Harvey labels. But I have no other details. Does anyone know track listings, etc? Although these are probably boots, they will probably go very fast. I also saw two volumes of recordings on Anna Records.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 10-27-2012 at 01:01 PM.

Here's a link to RHIS who have the 3 titles up for sale at £12 each

http://www.rhis.co.uk/cgi-bin/cart.p...erchant=bimbam

Haven't those Anna titles been available previously?

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Haven't those Anna titles been available previously?
    Re the Anna CDs. There were two releases The Best of Anna Records, Volume 1 and Volume 2. The Anna label consisted of a total of 28 actual 45s issued which equates to 56 songs overall. Vol. 1 contains 22 songs and Vol. 2 contains 21 songs. By purchasing these two volumes, I have 77% of the labels output. If anyone has a specific need for what is included on either of these, please let me know, but it is challenging to type all that information out, but I will do so if someone needs to know this information.

Can any of you please comment on the sound quality of these, both the Anna and the Tri Phi / Harvey? Are they at least ok? They aren't cheap and I wouldn't want to buy them if they're rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by calvin View Post
    Can any of you please comment on the sound quality of these, both the Anna and the Tri Phi / Harvey? Are they at least ok? They aren't cheap and I wouldn't want to buy them if they're rubbish.

I've not received my copies yet. I bought two volumes of the Tri Phi/Harvey recordings on Ebay for a good price and will comment once I've got 'em in my hands.

The Best Of Anna Records Volume 1

01 Hope And Pray [Anna 101A] The Voicemasters
    02 Oops, I'm Sorry [Anna 101B] The Voicemasters
    03 Needed [[For Lovers Only) [Anna 102A] The Voicemasters
    04 Needed [Anna 102B] The Voicemasters
    05 Lonely And Blue [Anna 1108A] Johnny & Jackey
    06 Let's Go To A Movie Baby [Anna 1108B] Johnny & Jackey
    07 Hoy Hoy [Anna 1120] Johnny & Jackey
    08 No One Else But You [Anna 1120] Johnny & Jackey
    09 I'm Afraid [Anna 1122] Cap-Tans
    10 Tight Skirts And Crazy Sweaters [Anna 1122] Cap-Tans
    11 I Feel It [Anna 1117] Ruben Fort
    12 So Good [Anna 1117] Ruben Fort
    13 I'll Get Along Somehow [Anna 1109] Larry Darnell
    14 With Tears In My Eyes [Anna 1109] Larry Darnell
    15 Money [[That's What I Want) [Anna 1111] Barrett Strong
    16 Oh I Apolgize [Anna 1111] Barrett Strong
    17 Yes, No, Maybe So [Anna 1116] Barrett Strong
    18 You Knows What To Do [Anna 1116] Barrett Strong
    19 Everything [Anna 1114] Ty Hunter & The Voicemasters
    20 I Didn't Know [Anna 1101] Lamont Anthony & The Voice Masters
    21 Just For Your Love [Anna 1115] The Falcons
    22 Do You Want To See My Baby [Anna 1110] Herman Griffin & The Mello-Dees

The Best Of Anna Records Volume 2

01 This Heart Of Mine [Anna 1001] The Falcons
    02 Beatnik Beat [Anna 1112] Paul Gayton & His Orchestra
    03 Scratch Back [Anna 1112] Paul Gayton & His Orchestra
    04 Orphan Boy [Anna 1114] Ty Hunter & The Voicemasters
    05 Blue Moon [Anna 1118] Allen "Bo" Story
    06 Don't [Anna 1118] Allen "Bo" Story
    07 Big Time Spender - Part 2 [Anna 1121] Bill Murray & George Copeland
    08 I'm Free [Anna 1123] Ty Hunter & The Voicemasters
    09 Everytime [Anna 1123] Ty Hunter & The Voicemasters
    10 I'm In Love [Anna 1127] David Ruffin
    11 One Of Those Days [Anna 1127] David Ruffin
    12 The Hunch [Anna 1107] Paul Gayton
    13 Hot Cross Buns [Anna 1107] Paul Gayton
    14 All I Could Do Was Cry [[Part 1) [Anna 1119] Joe Tex
    15 All I Could Do Was Cry [[Part 1 & 2) [Anna 1119] Joe Tex
    16 I'll Never Break Your Heart [[Part 1) [Anna 1124] Joe Tex & The Vibrators
    17 I'll Never Break Your Heart [[Part 2) [Anna 1124] Joe Tex & The Vibrators
    18 Ain't It A Mess [Anna 1128] Joe Tex
    19 Baby You're Right [Anna 1128] Joe Tex
    20 I Need You [Anna 1113] Letha Jones With The Rivals
    21 Hurry Up And Marry Me [Anna 1115] Herman Griffin & The Mello-Dees
    22 Big Time Spender - Part 1 [Anna 1121] Bill Murray & George Copeland

Wikipedia has a discography of the Anna releases:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_Records

YouTube has postings of 4 of the Anna songs that aren't on those cds. Looks like Lamont Anthony's [[Lamont Dozier) "Popeye [[The Sailor Man)" song had to be withdrawn and rereleased as "Benny the Skinny Man" because of copyright issues - both versions are here:

The Hill Sisters, Hit and Run Away Love
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcOhCQBCw2s

Lamont Anthony [[Lamont Dozier), Popeye [[The Sailor Man)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9M62yKl3p4

Lamont Anthony, Benny the Skinny Man
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pr2MjOHlEsI

Lamont Anthony, Let's Talk It Over
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNWnXqMwYSg

I've seen it asked on this forum before but I didn't see an answer [[could be that I missed it): who owns the master tapes to the Anna and Tri-Phi releases? Universal?

I've seen it asked on this forum before but I didn't see an answer [[could be that I missed it): who owns the master tapes to the Anna and Tri-Phi releases? Universal?
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  21.1 KB
    I haven't had this answered yet to my satisfaction. It seems that even Keith Hughes and Harry Weinger are unclear on that. The only Hardye Recprding Corp. song that has been re-issued by Motown is "That's What Girls Were Made For" by The Spinners [[whose rights were apparently "arranged for"-in 1963, especially for re-release on a Motown compilation album. That may have been a special one-off deal, and the rights to re-release of all other Tri-Phi/Harvey/HPC/Message recordings not transferred to Motown [[remaining with Gwen Gordy and Harvey Fuqua's estate. The same situation is probably true for Anna Records. They may still be owned by Gwen Gordy and Billy Davis' estate. Otherwise, why did Motown never re-release even one other song from Hardye, and NO song from Anna [[other than "Money", which was Motown property originally [[and reverted back to Motown after a specified period)?

The fact that acetates of Hardye material were found in The Motown vaults is no proof of the rights to Hardye being purchased by Motown in the "buyout" or "folding in" of Harvey/Tri-Phi, as Hardye had been headquartered at Motown and recorded there, in any case, for their entire existence.

If Universal knew for sure that they now own those rights, they'd already have re-issued some of those recordings.

Thanks for that answer Robb. Let's hope that this ownership issue gets sorted out, and that the owner has some interest in having these recordings reissued!

More on Anna's master tapes - this website:
    http://www.seabear.se/detroit2.htm

states that:
    "Check-Mate was a subsidiary of the Chicago-based Chess label. When Anna was bought by Berry Gordy in April 1961, Gwen Gordy and Billy Davis continued to sell Anna's master tapes to Chess. Check-Mate was started to release Detroit- area artists, and a number of Anna masters were released on Check-Mate during 1961 and 1962."

It also gives a discrography of Checkmate releases here:
    http://www.seabear.se/Check-Mate.html

If that's true, then shouldn't at least these Checkmate masters belong to Universal?

Several of these Checkmate releases are posted on YouTube. I'm not sure if anyone cares, so I'll just give a link to one song that I quite like.

David Ruffin Mr. Bus Driver - Hurry!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT9N_U7uwXM

Robb and Calvin,

In the context of whether these sides will be ever be issued "legally", the issue of who owns the masters is secondary to the question, where are they?

Keith

I received the volumes of Tri-Phi/Harvey recordings. Of course they are bootlegs, but they were put together fairly decently. The sound quality is good on Volume 2, but not so great on Volume three. There's no noise, no scratchy sounds. I didn't like everything. It's primitive sounding stuff. But could see how the Spinners, Jr. Walker, Shorty Long and Ann Bogan went on to better things at Motown. The talent was already there. I think Walker's Cleo's Mood is the same master used at Motown. I did learn that songs by Johnny Bristol like Do You See My Love For You Growing, Carry Your Own Load, Baby Dontcha Worry - and of course Someday We'll Be Together were really old songs that had been written before Diana Ross, Jr. Walker and Tammi Terrell got them. The liner notes are spread out over the three volumes. You read about Bobby Smith and the Spinners on Vol. 1, Jr. Walker on Volume 2, and so on.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 11-15-2012 at 03:56 PM.

Thanks for that review Kamasu_Jr, it sounds like it's worth a listen.

Mine were posted from the UK. I have an address and phone number