[REMOVE ADS]

The Supremes- At Their Best LP

putting my vinyl Lps in plastic protectors and threw this on the turntable...
    how come they included "Bad Weather", a total chart flop, but not "Automatically Sunshine" which was a U.S. Top 40 'hit"..and why not include the 4 Tops duet on "River Deep Mountain High"?... things that make you go hmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    how come they included "Bad Weather", a total chart flop, but not "Automatically Sunshine" which was a U.S. Top 40 'hit"..and why not include the 4 Tops duet on "River Deep Mountain High"?... things that make you go hmmmmm
    This may or may not answer your question; an interesting thread, nonetheless.

http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread...-Classics-quot

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    I don't know , but I enjoyed that album. I bought it and Jean Terrell's solo album in September 1978 right after they were released. I had never thought much about what was left off. I did wonder why no photographs were used.

i read that the duets were not used because if and when they do , they have to split the royalites 50-50 even if it just one track used. so therefore no duets would be used. you would think that AUTOMAITCALLY SUNSHINE would have been used as ,as u stated was the bigger of the two but suppose they were trying to include songs from each year? i always thought there should have been a Jean led hits lp and then a scherrie led album.
    in UK a 16 track album was released which included SUNSHINE,HIGH ENERGY,TOUCH,HES MY MAN. have to look it up to find out exactly what songs .

Quote Originally Posted by davidh View Post
    i read that the duets were not used because if and when they do , they have to split the royalites 50-50 even if it just one track used. so therefore no duets would be used. you would think that AUTOMAITCALLY SUNSHINE would have been used as ,as u stated was the bigger of the two but suppose they were trying to include songs from each year? i always thought there should have been a Jean led hits lp and then a scherrie led album.
    in UK a 16 track album was released which included SUNSHINE,HIGH ENERGY,TOUCH,HES MY MAN. have to look it up to find out exactly what songs .
    I do not know if there is any link here, but I do remember Mary Wilson sued Motown in 1977 or 1978, this is the same time when this album came out so it does not matter whether a song with her on lead or a song with her in the group makes a difference, but in a nasty move not to publicize anything with her as a lead singer could have been a reason Automatically Sunshine, He's My Man and Touch all had Mary on lead either with Jean and Scherrie. These songs were not included on the album Automatically Sunshine was a bigger hit thann Bad Weather, & iglmhdtw and ymdw go figure.

Judging by the reaction here by the Soul Train gang, "Your Wonderful Sweet, Sweet Love" should have been a bigger hit and included in this and every other collection!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Judging by the reaction here by the Soul Train gang, "Your Wonderful Sweet, Sweet Love" should have been a bigger hit and included in this and every other collection!

I agree that song was a great number, too bad they didn't sing it in 73 when Jean Mary and Lynda appeared on Soul Train. It did much better on the r & b chart too.#22 to 54 Pop