[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Not So Great of a Singer But Had "It".

Tallone's comments regarding Smitty of the Manhattans got me to thinking about singers who didn't have the best voices but had "it". My nomination would be Little Sonny of the Intruders. You say what?

Barbara Mason would be my choice; Bettye Swann would be another. Neither are great singers, but they had something.

Sam Moore of Sam & Dave did not have the best voice but he certainly "had IT"!

I totally agree with Little Sonny...Others I can think of include Archie Bell and Jimi Hendrix...

Haaaaaaaaaa,always a fun topic,how about[jr.walker-gerhard thrasher]any number of the lead singers from the [doo-wop]era-the five royales come to mind or the great[billie holiday]who didn't have the greatest voice either...[ethel waters said she sang like her feet hurt]herb fame,nick ashford[whom i've always felt should have just let valerie sing]!!

I don't know if I can call Melba Moore a great singer, but she definitely had enough of "it" to make some great records.

I might get stoned for this, but I didn't think Minnie Riperton had a voice for pop music. She might have been good in opera, but I thought her voice was dull singing pop or R&B. But people love her. There's a singer who gets a lot of attention on this forum [[No, not Diana Ross). But she is from Detroit. She never had much of a voice, no range and sounded like a buzz SAW [[but thinks she's good) and she sounds even worse today. Too much booze me thinks.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 10-24-2012 at 01:03 PM.

I've seen melba live,and believe me she is great!!

Quote Originally Posted by kamasu_jr View Post
    i might get stoned for this, but i didn't think minnie riperton had a voice for pop music. She might have been good in opera, but i thought her voice was dull singing pop or r&b. But people love her.
    hey kamasu,don't let her[five octaves]fool you,minnie could sing...now we ain't gonna stone ya,but watch out for tiny pebbles..hehehehehe!!!

Quote Originally Posted by arrr&bee View Post
    hey kamasu,don't let her[five octaves]fool you,minnie could sing...now we ain't gonna stone ya,but watch out for tiny pebbles..hehehehehe!!!
    I don't think Minnie was a soul singer. She might have been pop, but not soul.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    I might get stoned for this, but I didn't think Minnie Riperton had a voice for pop music. She might have been good in opera, but I thought her voice was dull singing pop or R&B. But people love her. There's a singer who gets a lot of attention on this forum [[No, not Diana Ross). But she is from Detroit. She never had much of a voice, no range and sounded like a buzz SAW [[but thinks she's good) and she sounds even worse today. Too much booze me thinks.
    Hey Kamasu
    I can see your point on Minnie Ripperton, but love her just the same. Now who is the Drunk Detroit Buzz SAW?

How about ESTHER PHILLIPS, who had a strange whiney voice, yet still managed to sound great .. or SYLVIA [[ROBINSON) who could hardly sing at all but who's half-whispered vocals managed to sound SOOOOOO sensual.

Roger

In my personal opinion, this thread begins and ends with the Wicked Wilson Pickett. I always thought that his voice was gruff and hard to describe. [[Tenor? Baritone?!)

He probably couldn't sing well enough to win "The Voice", but it wouldn't matter because he was easily one of the best soul singers ever and he could blow the winner out of the water for execution and performance. For lack of a better phrase: "Often imitated, but never duplicated".

Quote Originally Posted by rod_rick View Post
    Hey Kamasu
    I can see your point on Minnie Ripperton, but love her just the same. Now who is the Drunk Detroit Buzz SAW?
    I can't say the name out loud. She got folks on here. LOL

smark21 Guest
    Some singers may not have outstanding natural voices, but they have charisma and the ability to use their limitations to become outstanding song stylists. I’ll add Sade to the list. She’s not a soul belter, but she has a style all her own.

Sister Loves

Vermettya Royster

An interesting voice that really grabs your attention......but, a little can go a long way.

Totally agree blueskies. And wouldnt Diana Ross be one of the prime examples--she sure had IT though not a strong voice. And Levi-minimial range but also had IT.

Eartha Kitt, Otis Williams [[though I'm not sure he as 'it), Keith Relf [[Yardbirds), Mike Love, Peter Noone, Ringo Starr, Lee Marvin[[!)

Just having a little fun there.

the singers who most readily spring to mind are Little Sonny and Barbara mason, already mentioned

I guress it's all in how we each define [[for ourselves) what we call singing. The ability to sing
    a simple scale, C major being about as simple as you can get, then the octave above it and
    the octave below is surely singing to me but I know a lot of "singers" can't even do that ,
    many of my favorite song stylists included. Some singers cannot sing in more than one or two keys. As far as jazz singers go I personally believe Diane Reeves is a better singer than
    Cassandra Wilson but Cass is a better stylist which is why I have more or her material in my
    collection....I bet I know who Kam is talking about but I won't say the name unless he permits me to guess....later...

Major Lance

Gene Chandler

Both made great records ...but not sure they were great singers

Cher comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    ...I bet I know who Kam is talking about but I won't say the name unless he permits me to guess....later...

Splanky, SHH!!! LOL
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 10-25-2012 at 06:36 PM.

smark21 Guest
    Not soul or r and B singers, but I’m going to toss in Chet Baker, Bernard Sumner and Ian Curtis to the list.

I'm probably alone to bring up Steve Arrington, but his voice was not smooth or technically proficient, but he was a very charismatic singer.

And speaking of "Stevies", I don't know about whether Stevie Wonder should be in this conversation. Probably the most unique voice in soul music, many have tried to imitate him but failed horribly in the effort. With that said, Stevie has so many fluctuations in his singing that it would put me off if it didn't work so very well. Don't read me wrong, I love nearly every song [[or at least single) that he had, but Stevie sells every song with his unique style and sincerity, not how well his voice sounds.

I'll probably get banned for this post...

I never thought that Mary Wells could sing at all but I guess she had something to get to the top of the charts

Don't throw stones at me but I would say Dionne Warwick

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    Don't throw stones at me but I would say Dionne Warwick
    Glencro, I will agree with you. I like a lot of her stuff, but when I listen to "Then Came You", it sounds as if she's struggling mightily to sing with someone else. Her voice just sounds... off, somehow.

I've seen melba live,and believe me she is great!!
    Melba's single "You Stepped Into My Life" remains a personal favorite.

Haaaaaaaaaa,always a fun topic,how about[jr.walker-gerhard thrasher]any number of the lead singers from the [doo-wop]era-the five royales come to mind or the great[billie holiday]who didn't have the greatest voice either...[ethel waters said she sang like her feet hurt]herb fame,nick ashford[whom i've always felt should have just let valerie sing]!!
    Herb Fame????

C'mon, we can have all the Peaches we want, which we did, but there is only ONE HERB!

Case in point, "United" and "I Want Us Back Together"

you guys made some excellent choices, you got me on the dionne warwick one! mavis staple, brenton wood, brenda[[of the tabulations) joe tex

I don't get how Dionne Warwick is on this list. She had a good pop voice; She had range, able to go/shift from low to high notes and she sang in tune. Those Bacharach/David songs were not easy to sing. I do see Esther Phillips and Nina Simone making this list. They had unusual sounding voices and are not for everyone. Millie Jackson is another so-so singer. She's not a great singer at all, but she has some appeal and only made one truly great record [[Hurt So Good) in my opinion. Lamont Dozier is another cult figure with not a great voice.
    Mavis Staples?? I admit she doesn't sound great today but she could sing when she was younger.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 10-27-2012 at 01:29 PM.

Joe Stubbs certainly was nowhere as vocally talented as his brother Levi, yet there is an air about it that's likable!
    Last edited by jboy88; 10-27-2012 at 01:49 PM.

Nobody mentioned our boy[mick jagger]his voice will never get any[satisfaction]hehehehehehehe!!!

Splanky, SHH!!! LOL
    I think you should say what you're thinking instead of chuckling like the bad kid in the back of the class room. This is a forum to express opinions. And you know what opinions are like...

Quote Originally Posted by imnokid View Post
    I think you should say what you're thinking instead of chuckling like the bad kid in the back of the class room. This is a forum to express opinions. And you know what opinions are like...
    He is a great big Diana Ross fan, so that should give you some insight into his motivation........

Nobody mentioned our boy[mick jagger]his voice will never get any[satisfaction]hehehehehehehe!!!
    Since you went there... I cringe at any Stones concert video from the last 25 years. It's like some spastic alien came to Earth, saw the real Mick Jagger, and decided that's how to communicate to humans. He got old way too young.

And, Bob Dylan has easily the worst singing voice among any iconic singers [[can you imagine him on week one of "American Idol"?) but the fact that he used it to say something made him what he is.

I do see Esther Phillips and Nina Simone making this list.
    Kam, I don't know how much Nina Simone you have heard or what songs
    govern your perception but I have to say Nina Simone had one of the most
    lush gorgeous contralto voices I've ever heard outside of opera. She just didn't use it exclusively in her very wide catalogue. She, like both Sassy and Ella [[though I not saying she had near their range) liked to "pinch "her vocals for certain numbers, particularly the upbeat ones. Still check her out
    on songs like Wild Is The Wind, I Loves You Porgy and You Can Have Him ...
    She was not as limited vocally as some assume....

lush gorgeous contralto voices I've ever heard outside of opera. She just didn't use it exclusively in her very wide catalogue. She, like both Sassy and Ella [[though I not saying she had near their range) liked to "pinch "her vocals for certain numbers, particularly the upbeat ones. Still check her out
    Co-sign me on this reply.

I like Nina, but some people don't.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    He is a great big Diana Ross fan, so that should give you some insight into his motivation........
    And you like Mary Wilson who can't really sing anything but "oohhhs" and "ahhhs" and the Andantes did some of those for her. Some people need to keep their mouths shut especially when they haven't been addressed.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 10-28-2012 at 03:09 PM.

And you like Mary Wilson who can't really sing anything but "oohhhs" and "ahhhs" and the Andantes did some of those for her. Some people need to keep their mouths shut especially when they haven't been addressed.
    I'll give you my address.........you come shut it for me!

You need to go take your medication and stop playing with people.

You need to go take your medication and stop playing with people.
    I'm not playing, uh uh. I will be in Corinth, MS next month. I'll fly into Memphis, you can come there and shut my mouth for me. Deal?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I'm not playing, uh uh. I will be in Corinth, MS next month. I'll fly into Memphis, you can come there and shut my mouth for me. Deal?

LOL You need to quit messing with people you don't know, old dude. Just settle down and take your meds when your nurse brings them to you. And sell those wolf tickets to someone who might take you seriously. You flying into Memphis to deal with me? I'm laughing my ass off at that one. You are truly delusional.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 10-28-2012 at 04:22 PM.

Good job in blowing up a good thread, gentlemen. If you were really beefing, you could do so by PMing each other. The internet makes us all tough guys, but not any more adult, I guess.

Let me repeat this, some people need to mind their business and TO NOT bother me or make a reference about me on this forum when I've not giving them a single thought. And if I have not addressed you personally, I don't want to hear from you.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 10-28-2012 at 07:46 PM.

Kamasu,
    I don't know about these other guys, but I addressed you because you made a comment on this public forum. I'm saying you shouldn't pussyfoot around the name of an artist you don't like with innuendo, just because they have "folks on here.". Say their name. Artists have fans and they have people who are not fans. If an artist cn't take criticism, they shouldn't be in the business. Personally, I don't like female singers who sound like chicks, with lighter voices. I can do without Ross, Wells, Dione, etc. If I never heard tim again as long as I live, I would miss nothing. The only time I DO hear them is on a rare occasion when I have a radio on. And then I change the channel. I like chicks that sound like MEN, like my Mrs., Gladys, Millie, Mavis, Gwen McRae, Ruby Johnson, etc.
    Like the great man said "Different strokes for different folks."

Personally speaking, the last thing I want to hear is some woman who sounds like a man singing anything to me. But like you say: "Different strokes for different folks."

Getting this thread back on track, Timi Yuro was another not so great singer, but she has this cult following, who hears something that I don't. I've tried listening to her, but I just don't get her. Most of her songs were over arranged and just plain lame. I've heard true blues singers like Big Maybelle who were better, in my opinion.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 10-29-2012 at 02:24 AM.

Ha! You STILL won't be a man and say the name.

At this point, it's not important what I think of some female singer. Remember, my opinion is like an ---hole, everyone's got one.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 10-29-2012 at 09:11 AM.