[REMOVE ADS]

Another almost Supreme stakes her claim

Ms Sarah Dash in the latest A Touch of CLassic Soul. They really wanted her over Cindy, so she says--according to conversations reported to her between another person and Cindy. Hmmmmm

Hmmmmm....is right.

Sarah & the Supremes. Coming to a parking lot near you soon.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Ms Sarah Dash in the latest A Touch of CLassic Soul. They really wanted her over Cindy, so she says--according to conversations reported to her between another person and Cindy. Hmmmmm
    Yeah right, third hand information. If they wanted Sarah I believe they would have talk to Sarah, Ms Sarah come up this some 45 years later. All I see is another dig at Cindy from Sarah.

What? Are you kidding me?

I'm done with Labelle [[all three of them). Still bitter that Cindy left for better opportunities... Jesus Christ...

Crabs in a barrel. They all wanted to be a Supreme. The Supremes just didn't have success. The had SUCCESS. This is why other females hated the Supremes and Diana in particular. I've seen Patti say that the Supremes had too many hits, and that they should have given some to her. I have to laugh at the story I believe Patti made up [[after reading Mary's book- no doubt) about Diana going out and getting the same dresses as the Bluebells......yeah...in what lifetime. No one, let me repeat that......NO ONE wanted to be or look like a Bluebell.

From what I heard Motown was looking at Cindy to replace Florence; however they thought Sarah's voice was Cindy's. When they finally contacted her they realized that Cindy's voice wasn't the one they originally heard and wanted. Cindy was visually perfect and her voice was good enough so she was it. I don't think Motown really wanted Sarah. It was Cindy they wanted the whole time. Vocally they wanted Sarah, but visually it was Cindy.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I'm done with Labelle [[all three of them). Still bitter that Cindy left for better opportunities... Jesus Christ...
    Did Nona also speak to this in the past?

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    From what I heard Motown was looking at Cindy to replace Florence; however they thought Sarah's voice was Cindy's. When they finally contacted her they realized that Cindy's voice wasn't the one they originally heard and wanted. Cindy was visually perfect and her voice was good enough so she was it. I don't think Motown really wanted Sarah. It was Cindy they wanted the whole time. Vocally they wanted Sarah, but visually it was Cindy.
    Brad, that could be true, but if Motown was really interested in the voice they could have easily stuck Marlene Barrow in Florence spot and moved on. Imo Sarah wouldn't have made a good Supreme, her voice didn't fit the direction they were going. CIndy's voice was a smooth transition from FLorence, it didn't try to over power the lead. Even in the end Florence tenure with the group her tones were calmer and not as bright. Listening to the current Roostertail show proved that Florence voice was getting deeper when you listen to "People", FLorence didn't hit the top harmony note at the end, she was on the same not as Diana who sang the middle harmony. Florence also fell off the top note a few times as well.

I tend to agree with rod. Didnt Sarah also say Cindy didnt have a good voice? carlo-According to JRT Nona never forgave Cindy and stopped speaking to her. Cindy was a bit more vague in an interview and said Nona was very quiet at their induction to the R&B Hall of Fame. Patti said she didnt make peace until she talked to Cindy for her autobiography. [[Berry has been quote saying Cindy's voice was great). PS Sarah also said she felt awful that she gave Cindy's phone number to Motown guy thinking he wanted a date with Cindy!
    Last edited by luke; 10-23-2012 at 06:01 PM.

Cindy Birdsong could sing. If she couldn't she wouldn't have been in vocal groups who's members were some of the greatest of all time: Patti, Nona, Sarah, Jean, Diana, and Mary.

Please help--rumored to become or was or whatever- a Supreme--Barbara Randolph, Syreeta, Marlene Barrow, Telma Hopkins,a Velevelette[[Norma I think),now Sarah Dash, Karen Rag., Joyce Vincent, Sundray Tucker, Shantel and Freda....anyone else?

My 80 year old spinster, lesbian aunt recently made claim to having been asked to replace Flo, then Diana, then Cindy, then Jean, then Lynda, then Cindy again...poor old thing never got over it when Shantel was out in front for a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by blueskies View Post
    My 80 year old spinster, lesbian aunt recently made claim to having been asked to replace Flo, then Diana, then Cindy, then Jean, then Lynda, then Cindy again...poor old thing never got over it when Shantel was out in front for a minute.
    Blueskies your comment is too funny

Hysterical. LMAO.

Quote Originally Posted by rod_rick View Post
    Brad, that could be true, but if Motown was really interested in the voice they could have easily stuck Marlene Barrow in Florence spot and moved on. Imo Sarah wouldn't have made a good Supreme, her voice didn't fit the direction they were going. CIndy's voice was a smooth transition from FLorence, it didn't try to over power the lead. Even in the end Florence tenure with the group her tones were calmer and not as bright. Listening to the current Roostertail show proved that Florence voice was getting deeper when you listen to "People", FLorence didn't hit the top harmony note at the end, she was on the same not as Diana who sang the middle harmony. Florence also fell off the top note a few times as well.
    It is true that Flo's voice had lost some of its power by Sept 66 but she still sounded that she had the strongest voice and on People from 64 to People in 66 there was a slight difference, but make no mistake about it Florence Ballard's voice at this Roostertail Show could outsing both Mary and Diana, she still sounded great, and like she said on the "Queen of the House" number forget it .

and the only reason that i can see that flo's voice fell an octave or two is because of her elevated drinking by this time, which was caused by the different direction the group had taken. Sarah Dash was not the right person to replace Flo because her voice was similar to Flo's she could hit the high notes and it would have overpowereing tendencies to outshine Diana, which I am sure she was not having.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    I think Patti's spoken for her. She has said Nona is still pissed at Cindy.

Please help--rumored to become or was or whatever- a Supreme--Barbara Randolph, Syreeta, Marlene Barrow, Telma Hopkins,a Velevelette[[Norma I think),now Sarah Dash, Karen Rag., Joyce Vincent, Sundray Tucker, Shantel and Freda....anyone else?
    Don't forget Tammi Terrell was supposed to have replaced Diana... I think Brenda Holloway was also a suggestion. I doubt neither lady would've said yes though.

Wasn't Moms Mabley a contender for Florence?

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Yes; Nona wanted to be an Ikette.

Interesting there aren't 12,387 threads on THAT relationship dynamic.

Clydie King?

Maxine Precious Ballard Jenkins

How can Nona still be p**sed 45 years later. Sounds like Nona got some misplaced resentments going on.

Cindy Birdsong is a real sweet lady with not a mean bone in her body.

Roberta

I would think Flo's smoking cigarettes would do more damage to her voice than alcohol. Also Diana's voice was sounding very hoarse and worn out by mid '67 too.

smark21 Guest
    Did Flo ever take formal vocal training?

Quote Originally Posted by blueskies View Post
    Thank you I needed that!

Im surprised the Moms Mabley possibility hasnt come up before. Ive heard the rumors over the years but didnt want to be the first to share them. At one point I heard she was on a diet and had of course new teeth. Word is with her improved looka Diana said -NO WAY!

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    I would think Flo's smoking cigarettes would do more damage to her voice than alcohol. Also Diana's voice was sounding very hoarse and worn out by mid '67 too.
    I think all three Supremes were smoking cigarettes, but Flo was drinking more alcohol than the other two, and we are talking about 1966, where Flo's vocals at the Roostertail was at the top of her game [[still) I played the whole show and she sounded fabulous unless I have a tin ear. It is so good to hear her do the symphony medley, and an improved version of "Make Someone Happy" and "Somewhere" as well as the other tracks on this show she whips YCHL and almost made up for not being on the single, "People"{ was outstanding, [[surprised Diana was not on lead here with Flo) and the clsoing number Your Nobody was the Supremes showstopper and Flo's adlib made the Detroit show a highlight, we finally get to hear Flo the way we always wanted to hear her ever since we heard her on Come See About Me and Long gone Lover in 1964. It's been said by Mary that she Flo and Martha took vocal lessons with Mr. Silver at Northeastern or Northwestern High School in Detroit back in the 50's.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Did Flo ever take formal vocal training?
    As far as I know, Flo and Mary had lessons in school. Mary had it at Northeastern and Flo had it at Northwestern. With the same guy. Diana didn't get any until after the Supremes joined Motown.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    How can Nona still be p**sed 45 years later. Sounds like Nona got some misplaced resentments going on.

Cindy Birdsong is a real sweet lady with not a mean bone in her body.

Roberta
    I don't know. It's strange. Patti makes it seem like everyone is getting along but if you talked to Nona or Sarah they'd probably be like "yeah right". But yeah Cindy seems real sweet. Even Mary had a problem with Cindy but she and Diana still get along last I heard.