[REMOVE ADS]

Wondering about health of singers [[Angela, Gwen, Nancy, others?)

As we all know, this has been a tragic year in terms of losing some of our greatest musical talents, such as Whitney, Etta, and Donna, just to name a few. So that made me stop and think about some others we have discussed before who had been experiencing a health crisis.

So does anybody have any updates on Angela Bofill, Gwen McCrae, Nancy Wilson, or anyone else who might have been discussed over the last year or so? Or how about Aretha, since there was such wide speculation about her?

Another that crossed my mind was Natalie Cole, but she is appearing near me later this month, so I take that to mean that she is OK these days.

These are all of course noted female singers. I didn't bring up any men because I honestly couldn't think of any that were supposed to be having problems. But if there are some, update us on them as well.

I find myself thinking often of Angie, Gwen and especially of Nancy Wilson who is a hero, legend and icon for me . I am atuned to a lot of the "newer" voices in jazz but I still deeply
    miss Abbey Lincoln...That said, I guess maybe some of the forum members who have connections to those in the business, like Juice and Marc Taylor, can give us an update...

Gotta do the bump on this one....Oh Marc!!!!!

Til he sees this, this video always makes me smile....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXdb4Ik0gWk

Can you say showing your love of an artist?....

Nancy could use our prayers.

I know Nancy was in the hospital a few years back for anemia but if you know something
    else more specific and more recent, brother, why don't you just say it in plain english and try to not be so cryptic and vague....?

All I knew when I posed the question was that a year or so ago, I remember reading about Nancy having a collapsed lung and I thought at the time that her wonderful singing and stage career would likely be over. But my oh my, what a wonderful career it was and what a voice she brought us. I only had the pleasure of seeing her live one time, but she was fabulous.

So yes, if anyone has an update about her or any of the others, please let us know.

This topic is depressant are you weighten for pepple to die

Since when does asking about someone's health mean that you are "waiting" for them to die? Considering that comment and the other two people above who are harping at each other, I am beginning to think I should withdraw the whole question.

Artists of the 50's, 60's, 70's and some much younger were falling like flys this year; the question is relevant. Some of the old folks are amongst the most beloved.

It's far from the least appropriate topic ever raised.

Thanks Rob. I sure didn't see anything wrong with the question and I thought we all shared universally in the concern for our favorites. I personally am still devastated over Phyllis Hyman and heck, that has been 17 years now. I am sure I will be affected just as much when we lose some of the ones mentioned above and some others as well.

Its like hes askin who gonna die next wierd to me

Excuse me, David, but brother love and I weren't "harping" at each other, he never even
    responded to me that I saw...or if he did he deleted it. My reply to him was curt, I'll admit
    because his post implied that he knew something about Nancy's current status that would
    cause concern for her fans yet he wouldn't say what it was. I can't speak for anyone else
    but I find that annoying. For those of us who grew up watching the career of some of our favorite singers,musicians,writers,actors and even politicians, our care about their well-being is as strong as our conern for members of our own family. If my sister sent me an email and it only said "you better pray for Aunt Mae" and nothing else, I'd be angry with her
    too. Your original post was a very relevant start of a thread, extremely valid. These people
    are not only artists but human beings. We want to know that they are getting whatever care
    they need, are making progress and know they are loved. If real life's complexities are too
    much for some people I have nothing else to say to them...

God, I didn't even know Ms. Wilson was ill. I'm with Splanky on this. She's an icon. I care about her well-being.

smark21 Guest
    Nancy Wilson seemed just fine two weeks ago when I saw her and Ann perform
    at the Beacon.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Nancy Wilson seemed just fine two weeks ago when I saw her and Ann perform
    at the Beacon.
    Not that Nancy Wilson. We are talking about the "real" Nancy Wilson, the only one whose records I buy. LOL

Or just bein nosy if they aint gettin good care what wood you do then aint peeples health private until it is in the papers this is a bad topic i am sorry

Nothing bad about this topic Shaqueetha. I too care about the status of those whose music/careers I've enjoyed over the years.

Since when is inquiring about the well being of a person bad? This is done on a daily basis when talking about old friends, neighbors, co-workers and people we are out of touch with.

I suspect this "saqueetha jackson" is a ringer. I believe those mispellings she or he makes like "
    weighten" are done on purpose...

I agree Splanky. Who really names a child Shaqueetha? LMBAO

Since it appears that we have only one person who finds this thread offensive, let's let her have her right to her opinion and the rest of us can get back to the topic at hand. So what is the latest on Angela, on Gwen, on Aretha, on Nancy?

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    I suspect this "saqueetha jackson" is a ringer. I believe those mispellings she or he makes like "
    weighten" are done on purpose...
    Oh, I have been waiting for someone else to notice this. I'm glad it just wasn't me. I thought....you're trying a little 'too hard' with the mispellings....about a suttle as a trainwreck. OK...Shaskeeter....go back and rename yourself!

I don't know what a ringer is but its mean to make fun of my name and spellng this topic is goulash and bad taste.

I have to agree guys, that it is uncool to be attacking her on a personal level. We can agree to disagree on this board without it getting personal.

Now like I have been saying, let's get back to discussing the topic.

smark21 Guest
    I think Donna Summer had the right idea…she kept her condition a secret from everyone but those closest to her so that fans wouldn’t go on a death watch.

And that was Donna's choice but for me it's not even about a so-called "death watch". It's genuine
    concern for those who have given so much to us through their artistry. It's become obvious to me that some folks are apparently missing the whole point of the questions asked...

Oh, and I'm not personally attacking anybody, just speculating on someone's true purpose for their
    remarks. Maybe, a banned member returned under a new name, hmmm........

Unsung showed Angela and Melba Moore touring. Melba would sing and Angela would narrate.

I was not intentionally attacking anyone, either. Just suspicious of posts that looked fishy. If I was wrong, I apologize....if not, I hope they move on. Glad to hear that Melba is out there and Angela, too.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    Since it appears that we have only one person who finds this thread offensive, let's let her have her right to her opinion and the rest of us can get back to the topic at hand. So what is the latest on Angela, on Gwen, on Aretha, on Nancy?
    I don't know the current status of the Great Ms. Nancy Wilson, but a friend of mine went to see her at the Blue Note, I think it was last year, and my friend said that Nancy's voice was like fine wine, and that Nancy told the audience that she was retiring because she did not want to have to be helped on stage to perform. Ms. Wilson will always be a class act in my book. Frankie Crocker would play her records on his show and after the record ended he would say, "ladies and gentleman, the baby, Nancy Wilson." Frankie would do the roll call; Ella, Carmen and Sarah but always referred to Nancy as "the baby" of the bunch.

smark21 Guest
    Well it’s one thing as a fan to be concerned about the health and well being of a favorite singer, but one should be careful not to cross a line. A celebrity has a right to medical/health privacy as much as we do and its their right to disclose to the public the details of their health. A fan can be concerned, but they should mind their own business, especially if they work at a hospital or medical center with celebrity patient clientele. A few years ago there was a breach of medical record privacy at UCLA as several workers looked at the medical records of Farrah Fawcett when she was being treated for cancer. The repercussions were severe as the offenders lost their jobs, and one of them had to pay a large fine and serve 4 months in prison. In the US, violating HIPAA and HITECH medical privacy laws can result in civil and criminal penalties [[up to 10 years in prison).

smark21 Guest
    Out of curiosity, I did a google search for Shaqueetha and there are people out there with that name.

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclien...w=1920&bih=960

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    I think Donna Summer had the right idea…she kept her condition a secret from everyone but those closest to her so that fans wouldn’t go on a death watch.
    I actually think it's better if the fans know about the conditions of their idols! To me it makes it a lot easier to come to terms should things turn for the worse. Compare the passing of Levi Stubbs to that of Michael Jackson. It was sad all the same, but with the former, I was mentally prepared and more at ease as opposed to the shock and dismay of the latter. Though the way i process grief may not be the same as other members.

So I personally don't blame some people for being concerned about the health of our legends! For those we care about, that should only be natural.

Although this thread has certainly gone off in some unusual directions [[for which I am to blame I suppose since I posted the original question) I have to agree with someone having the right to keep their health issues private if they so choose. That is why there are so many suicides in the world I guess....people keep things from their loved ones until they just can't stand it anymore because in their minds, having their families deal with one big shock as opposed to a lingering and possibly costly illness seems like the kinder thing to do.

However, having said that, the people I asked about were ones whose health had already been openly discussed and I was merely asking for updated information. Thanks for the one provided on Nancy, although it was sad to read. When I saw her live the one and only time, and I am guessing this was about 10-12 years ago, the voice was magnificent, she looked so young and vibrant, and she put on a wonderful show. It is heartbreaking to picture her any other way.

David said:
    Although this thread has certainly gone off in some unusual directions [[for which I am to blame I suppose since I posted the original question

Bite your tongue, man. Never apologise for a crime you haven't commited. There is no
    way you or anyone else can foresee what kind of reactions are going to occur on any thread they've begun [[Well, maybe on D. Ross and the girls threads...) and you are in no way
    responsible for what anyone decides to say,think or believe! It was a valid question.

@nysister,
    thanks for what you wrote. I do remember seeing online that Nancy decided to retire from
    performing saying she didn't want to ever have to be carried up onto a stage. I'm just thankful for all of the music she gave us over the years...

Just when I thought it was safe to visit the SDF site without getting irritated- to say the least- by a certain style of postings I find a valid and possibly interesting posting going off in a very strange direction.
    Let us accept the poster does not think the subject suitable, and for those of us who care about the artists and have concerns for their health learn of their progress continue by sharing information we have.
    With regard to male artist I think I heard a while back JJ Barnes had health problems.Anyone know of this?He certanly has not visited the UK shores for a while.
    I know Pat Lewis had problems, but she is coming to the UK in January to appear with Detroiter Spyder Turner which is good news.[[She also came earlier this year and was very entertaining)
    I am looking forward to reading some good news about artists health.It would be interesting to read of some the artists and musicians of SDF postings from the early days and how they are doing.Perhaps this could turn into a "where are they now?" thread, which could be interesting.
    regards
    francis t