[REMOVE ADS]

Mary Outlasts Her Motown Curse :confused

Nice article about Mary. Not quite sure what the Motown Curse is that she outlasted.
    Mary Wilson Still Rules Supreme with First Film, Costume Tour and More
    10/15/12 10:04am
    Roger Friedman
    Mary Wilson is the hardest working woman in show business after more than 50 years. Yes, Mary, 68, and looking like a million bucks, has managed to outlast her Motown curse. The original Supreme, she hung in there after the dismissal of Florence Ballard, the departure of Diana Ross, and countless fights to keep her name. Now Mary is still cooking hot. This summer, and even now, she’s touring with former Rolling Stone Bill Wyman and his big band across Europe. She’s recorded her a new single, available on iTunes, and has a jazz album out that contains her stunning versions of Sting’s “Fields of Gold” and Joni Mitchell’s “Both Sides Now”–a smash in her live show.

This week, Mary was featured in the New York Times for her traveling show of Supremes costumes. It’s gone to Philadelphia for an exhibit. http://runway.blogs.nytimes.com/2012...mes/?ref=style

And, Mary is also filming her first movie, in her hometown of Detroit. It’s an indie called “Golden Shoes,” with a typically eclectic cast including Eric Roberts, Vivica A. Fox, and Montell Williams. “It’s only a small part, a couple of lines, really,” Mary told me before a sold out show she performed in Fairfield, Connecticut. “But it’s a beginning. This way I can see how it’s all done.”

Unflagging optimism has kept her going through tough times. She has a big family, but lost a son in a car accident years ago. He’s always on her mind. But she’s practical, and a survivor. It helps that her voice has gotten richer and deeper over the years. She just found out about the death of Frank Wilson, [[no relation) the Motown songwriter who saw her through the post-Ross days with hit singles like “Nathan Jones” and “Up the Ladder to the Roof.” Frank Wilson gave the group a chance to shine without Ross.

In concert, she performs “Someday We’ll Be Together”–the song that Diana Ross recorded as the Supremes, but Wilson or Cindy Birdsong– it was Ross’s surprise farewell from the group. It’s a poignant reminder of what was and what could have been.

http://www.showbiz411.com/2012/10/15...-tour-and-more

So she's outlived her Motown curse, huh? Time to pay another visit to Miss Rudolph.

I believe Mary has acting credits in "Tiger Town" and "Jackie's Back".

If its a curse to be a vocalist on 17 top 10 pop singles, 8 top 10 pop albums [[with three of them topping the chart), write a New York Times Best Seller, be in the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame, and an original member of the biggest girl group of all time, I know a lot of folks who wouldn't mind a hex like that placed on them....

Who is Miss Rudolph?

I agree with Glen; Motown was the best thing that ever happened to all of these people.

It might be true that it was hard learning to adapt to life when the hits stopped but Mary survived and almost any young girl of the 60's would have loved to be in those shoes.

LOL well said Glennwood! And to be drop dead gorgeous and write a best seller!

What curse? Early death?

"it was Ross’s surprise farewell from the group. "

Surprise? To who, exactly?

Maybe they're referring to the fact that many Motown artists, after leaving Motown, couldn't find the level of success they had while at Motown [[i.e. Mary Wells, Martha Reeves)? Not sure. I wasn't aware Mary was under a curse...

Quote Originally Posted by ejluther View Post
    "it was Ross’s surprise farewell from the group. "

Surprise? To who, exactly?
    LMAO! Even Mary and Diana would call that b.s.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    So she's outlived her Motown curse, huh? Time to pay another visit to Miss Rudolph.
    Very Clever! You are WRONG for that Kam. I bet Richard Pryor is having a laugh rolling in his grave. Watch your feet because we're going to get some of that blue, amonina p**s and soak those boys.

^ Oddly enough "Miss Rudolph" was mentioned in Richard's Bicentennial N****r:

Audience member at Richard Pryor's show: "How 'bout Miss Rudolph?!"
    Richard: "How about your mama?"

Mary is living her dreams while keeping the Supremes Legacy alive. She is beyond amazing! God Bless her.

Marv

Marv, what is your version of this "curse"?