[REMOVE ADS]

ROSS coming finally on CD

Last edited by waldo; 10-08-2012 at 04:24 PM.

The price via the link is $62.99! Way too much money for 9 songs.

As was very carefully worded by the two guests on the October 2nd, 2012 radio program, "Nightflight", it is unknown what Motown masters that Universal Japan has access to, so no comment could be made on the quality of the sound, but if North American Diana Ross fans are able to wait for awhile, an expanded version of Ross will eventually be available domestically, and most likely would be an expanded edition.
    I myself have been greatly disappointed that some of John Coltrane's material released after his death wasn't available in compact disc outside of Japan and was very expensive. Why? Perhaps the extremely high cost was to "protect" the North American recording industry. When "free trade" removed many tariffs between Canada and the United States, the "import duty" was removed and the cost of buying recordings via mail order fell greatly. For some reason, governments feel that jobs will be lost by importing foreign pressed recordings.
    I for one don't mind waiting for Ross to be finally released by Hip-O Select.

That is almost laughable. Why is it on ebay for that ridiculous amount yet it's a pre-order? By all means, do wait for Hip-o. You'll at least get more than this.

Remember that there are two albums titled "Ross". The 1984 album on RCA/Ross Re3cords has been on CD for years.

smark21 Guest
    Not much creativity was put into titling some of Diana’s albums. She had two albums called Diana Ross, two albums called Ross and two albums called Diana.

It is also being released in a mini album CD paper sleeve from Universal Japan via www.cdjapan.com I believe it is, but, check the store. With no shipping charge, you can get it for $33. Still steep but I love collecting the mini album CDs. Someone was kind enough to post that most of Diana's Motown solo and a second pressing finally of The Supremes albums are also out.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Not much creativity was put into titling some of Diana’s albums. She had two albums called Diana Ross, two albums called Ross and two albums called Diana.
    It makes no sense, especially if two albums of the same name are on the same label. I could say something else about what this unusual practice may mean...

Quote Originally Posted by R. Mark Desjardins View Post
    ...but if North American Diana Ross fans are able to wait for awhile, an expanded version of Ross will eventually be available domestically
    Can I ask how you know this for sure? I recently left a message asking this to Andy S, and he said he would need to check something before getting back to me with an answer as to weather Hip-O would be issuing this.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Mark Desjardins View Post
    As was very carefully worded by the two guests on the October 2nd, 2012 radio program, "Nightflight", it is unknown what Motown masters that Universal Japan has access to, so no comment could be made on the quality of the sound, but if North American Diana Ross fans are able to wait for awhile, an expanded version of Ross will eventually be available domestically, and most likely would be an expanded edition.
    I myself have been greatly disappointed that some of John Coltrane's material released after his death wasn't available in compact disc outside of Japan and was very expensive. Why? Perhaps the extremely high cost was to "protect" the North American recording industry. When "free trade" removed many tariffs between Canada and the United States, the "import duty" was removed and the cost of buying recordings via mail order fell greatly. For some reason, governments feel that jobs will be lost by importing foreign pressed recordings.
    I for one don't mind waiting for Ross to be finally released by Hip-O Select.

I had a feeling Universal Japan did not have access to the Motown master tapes. These Japanese reissues don't sound any better - just a bit louder.

As much as I love Hip-O's releases, I am not going to wait much longer and will buy both the "Baby It's Me" as well as "Ross" mini-LP cd's. I understood that the BIM-release is ready but "they" are waiting until 2013 to release it. Once again, Hip-O's releases are excellent but their annual output is very limited unfortunately, especially when compared to other [[small) reissue labels.

I read somewhere that Universal UK will also be re-releasing Diana's Motown solo albums, including "Ross", but since I don't have any verification of that actually happening this year, the Japanese discs are the way to go for me.

usually Universal puts out a Ross/or Supremes release eevry 6 months,so with the IHAS cd now out, 2013 seems to be right. didnt the Black album come out right after the first of this year???so i think they r keeping us right on time with these releases these days. Remember the days when motown would release way to much product at one time and i had to scramble to pull my allowance money to buy them all or i would have to wait weeks to get more cash.
    now that i have gotten older ,i really dont mind the wait so much as i feel it gives the guys plenty of time to GET IT RIGHT. BIM and ROSS are two albums i am really looking 4ward to and i think the ROSS album may have the most surprises yet.
    funny ,i remember not liking the album much at the beginning as i was disapointed they used previously recorded material which i thought should have been used on a Hits cd or as B sides,but that is my opinion. now,it remains one of my favorites as it has so many gems.to me,it s like a treasure chest filled with Ross lush goodies such as WHERE DID WE GO WRONG/NEVER SAY O DONT LOVE YOU/YOU WERE THE ONE/LOVIN LIVIN GIVIN.
    i have made my own version of this album but deletting the the older tracks such as TOGETHER,which never seemed to fit adn seemd like an out take from Last Time I saw Him. ,and i filled out my newer version with gems from the TO LOVE AGAIN lp such as ONE MORE CHANCE,IT'S MY TURN,CRYING MY HEART OUT.
    either way,i have never had trouble with hip-o select other than a few delays which may have not been there fault.so i will wait till Hipo releases the deluxe editions as i have most of the tracks elsewhere anyway.
    i am also looking 4ward to the Supremes sing HDH album on deluxe edition,my fav Sups album.

Universal Japan has done a nice job on these SHM CDs in most cases I've purchased so far for being straight reissues. I've only broken down in cases where I believe Universal USA is unlikely to put together a similar package. For example, the Olivia Newton John 10 disc box of her studio albums from 1974-1988 I picked up last year. Rumour is that ONJ's management doesn't have much interest in compiling one for the states and some of her albums are owned by her, some by Universal, and some by EMI making licenses difficult as well. It's also probably why Universal left some of her lower selling albums in print for years like Warm & Tender or Making A Good Thing Better while bigger hits like Totally Hot and If You Love Me Let Me Know went out of print in the late 80's never to return stateside except as imports. They were taken from previous masterings however so improvement is debatable since loudness wars and compression occurred in some spots and in others things are much fuller and richer sounding than I've heard on the Australian Festival issues which were probably mastered from copies. The artwork and liner reproductions were fantastic so I'm happy to have them. Since Ross 78 and Baby Its Me will likely be out by the end of next year via Andy and George unless Santa slips those under the tree I will wait to ride in the limo with their deluxe editions rather than sit in the Pinto versions from Japan or the UK.