[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Mary Wells- Something New: Motown Lost & Found

From today's MusicTap:

Hip-O Select will release Something New: Motown Lost and Found featuring Mary Wells on December 4.

I know this was previously listed in another thread which lumped together several proposed projects. But this is the first mention of a release date.

With the new book from Peter Benjaminson on Mary Wells, it looks like it's gonna be a good winter for Mary Wells fans.

RossHolloway Guest
    THis should be a good release. Can't wait for this one.

Pre-sale should be up in a few days. Finally!

No track list until then?

Oh, I have broken "protocol" before, but I prefer to present things first on the site. I can say that the set has half unreleased studio recordings, then the rest collects all of Mary's tunes issued on various releases by Motown after she left the label - but all of those will have previously unreleased extended stereo mixes. They all sound fantastic.

RossHolloway Guest
    HW - so will this set be inclusive of all remaining unreleased tracks by Mary Wells? OR were there others songs that did not make the cut?

yes yes ,brilliant news harry when is going to be out in the uk .

As far as I can tell, yes, that should be everything, barring any alternates we're just not aware of.

So is this exclusively unreleased material or a complete collection [[released and unreleased)?
    Either way, it souds intriging!

47 tracks recorded 1961-1964, spread across 2 CDs, about half completely unreleased Motown, all but two are new stereo mixes, the other half are rare Motown recordings that were not issued until 1966 through recent comps; the latter have new stereo mixes.

Nice Harry! Sign me up!

I must be dreaming, Harry had this on his wish list way back in the Motown BB days. Thanks Harry for finally getting the Mary Wells material to us! This will be a desert island disc[[s) for sure!

I first heard 'My Guy' on the radio when I was in my early teens. It was that song that got me hooked on the Motown sound. 30 years later I am still hooked.

I can't wait for this. It feels like Mary Wells has been overlooked for far too long. I'm amazed there are so many unreleased songs on this set. This one will be on my Santa list for sure.

I REALLY do hope all of Mary's original albums will be issued by Hip-O in the future.

Yes, I'm looking forward to this release very much.

I'm also hoping for a release featuring all of Mary's original Motown albums - perhaps something along the lines of the Miracles "Depend on Me" set, which featured 5 LPs on 2 cds. [[Though 3 cds with some bonus material would be even better!)

Hoping Mary appears on the site today!

Many years waiting for this....

RossHolloway Guest
    I was also hoping for a complete album set on Mary, similar to what was done for David Ruffin and Eddie Kendrix. Fingers still crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by hwume View Post
    Pre-sale should be up in a few days. Finally!
    Harry,
    I wonder if you've posted this in the wrong thread. I would think that Marvin Gaye's Trouble Man might be listed as a pre-sale item soon.
    The Mary Wells Lost & Found isn't set for unveiling until early December. Pre-sale items usually have not been listed that far in advance...

Trouble Man has now moved to December 4. I've done the "blurbs" for both, but Carole you're right, might be a couple more Fridays. I'll check with the gang on pre-sale date.

Hah! This is what happens when you sneak in a few teases...

Here's another anyway: hope you'll love her standards and her great male, new-to-the-company backup singers, not to mention some Motown originals with her "no hit" backup singers.

Trouble Man has now moved to December 4. I've done the "blurbs" for both, but Carole you're right, might be a couple more Fridays. I'll check with the gang on pre-sale date.

Here's another anyway: hope you'll love her standards and her great male, new-to-the-company backup singers, not to mention some Motown originals with her "no hit" backup singers.
    "Her 'no-hit'... backup singers!" Oh No! The Andantes are on here too? LOL
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 10-14-2012 at 02:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    "Her 'no-hit'..." backup singers! Oh No! The Andantes are on here too? LOL
    That was a good one! lol

RossHolloway Guest

I'm guessing the Four Tops and The Supremes.

It was me that LIKED it.......lol

I see that CD Universe show the titled as "Something New - Vintage Stock Plus Bonus Tracks"

From the new Mary Wells biography.

Attachment 5518

Wow if some of those tracks are on the set this will be great. I think Mary's voice would be ideal for standards like "The Party's Over", "Secret Love" and "All I Do is Dream About You." Bet there's a lot of other amazing stuff on here.

I'm really curious about "Your Loss, My Gain." "You Lost The Sweetest Boy" is my favorite tune by Mary.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Wow if some of those tracks are on the set this will be great. I think Mary's voice would be ideal for standards like "The Party's Over", "Secret Love" and "All I Do is Dream About You." Bet there's a lot of other amazing stuff on here.
    I'm hoping too that most, if not all, of these titles will be included. I have heard about a proposed Motown album titled "The Second Time Around" which had Mary singing standards much like those on side two of the "My Guy" album. I don't know for a fact that this is true but many of these titles would seem to fit that concept. Here's hoping.

Quote Originally Posted by sophisticated_soul View Post
    I'm hoping too that most, if not all, of these titles will be included. I have heard about a proposed Motown album titled "The Second Time Around" which had Mary singing standards much like those on side two of the "My Guy" album. I don't know for a fact that this is true but many of these titles would seem to fit that concept. Here's hoping.
    I'm sure we'll see most of these titles on the set. I love that Wells' voice could adapt to either standards or R&B, like many of the Motown alumni. She really deserved such a more illustrious and longer career than she got to have. She really could have grown into a Nancy Wilson type; her phrasing can sound like Wilson's on some of the standard tunes.

We're really lucky to have so much coming from Hip-O.

All of these, except the alternate version of "Operator," will be on the forthcoming set. [[Although I provided the author with that list, that alternate, it seems, doesn't really exist.)

RossHolloway Guest
    That list of songs looks quite promising. Can't wait for this release.

HW - In putting together this set, did you discovery any new live recordings by Mary?

Good question. I should clarify that we focused on the studio recordings. There are live recordings in the vault that may be available at some point.

And, by the way, of the tracks listed in the Peter Benjaminson book, "Again" also features the Four Tops. I just didn't know it when I provided Peter with that list.

They are not as prominent as on the other three; when we were mixing and listening to every detail, it was clear the four guys backing up Mary were Levi, Lawrence, Obie & Duke.

RossHolloway Guest
    That's very interesting. I can't wait to hear the backstory of how those recordings with the Four Tops came to be.

Is "I Remember You" the same track as the one by Hank & Carol Diamond on Workshop Jazz?
    If so, is it a duet with Levi?

HW: Did the unreleased album “Second Time Around” get as far as a final [[and available) track list? I was under the impression the album was a collection of standards, but last night while rereading the booklet to “Mary Wells The Ultimate Collection” I was reminded that both “I’ll Be Available” and “Goodbye And Good Luck” were recorded for “Second Time Around”, sounds more like the concept of the “My Guy” album half Motown, half standards.

In re to 'Second Time Around,' I put a brief explanation in the forthcoming set's booklet that says, in essence, no actual track list not that we've seen, and if there had been one it hasn't survived - or turned up.

Sorry, I don't recall the source of the annotation I put in the Ultimate Collection booklet. It was only 15 years ago, I know, but, hey, maybe the old files will be enlightening - if any of us can get to the office next week.

In re to the tracks with the Four Tops, Levi is not solo'd, and in the strictest terms none of them can be termed true duets. The Tops, in *group harmony*, are featured prominently, enough that they deserve some billing. A consensus was reached to say "featuring," not "with."

Thank you very much for the info, HW. I'm really looking forward to this set. The thought of hearing so many previously unreleased tracks by Mary and having all the other rarities together has me on a cloud! I know the project will be first class in everyway and done with great love and respect. Thanks again.

Name:  B-0017285-02a.jpg
Views: 3123
Size:  63.4 KB

Cover

Love the cover! Wasn't that photo used in an ad for "Bye Bye Baby"? I know I've seen it before.

"Never-Before-Released Masters From Motown's Brightest Stars - The 1960's"...Tamla Motown LP WL72425 released in 1986:

http://faac.us/adf/messages/131452/1...tml?1174837397

The Day Will Come - Mary Wells [[1961)
    The Tears - Diana Ross & The Supremes [[1961)
    Mind Over Matter - The Temptations [[1962)
    Knock On My Door - The Marvelettes [[1963)
    I'm Stuck On You - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles [[1966)
    Break It Up - Jr Walker & The Allstars [[1966)
    Don't You Feel It - Stevie Wonder [[1964)
    Can't Break The Habit - Martha Reeves & The Vandellas [[1965)
    I Can't Escape Your Memory - The Four Tops [[1967)
    Lois - Stevie Wonder [[1963)
    Stay In My Lonely Arms - Diana Ross & The Supremes [[1967)
    Tearstained Letter - The Temptations [[1962)

The photo was used on the back cover of "Mary Wells The Definitive Collection", in color and reversed. It was also used in the booklet [[in black & white) of "Mary Wells The Ultimate Collection". It does make a nice cover though.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    "Never-Before-Released Masters From Motown's Brightest Stars - The 1960's"...Tamla Motown LP WL72425 released in 1986:

http://faac.us/adf/messages/131452/1...tml?1174837397

The Day Will Come - Mary Wells [[1961)
    The Tears - Diana Ross & The Supremes [[1961)
    Mind Over Matter - The Temptations [[1962)
    Knock On My Door - The Marvelettes [[1963)
    I'm Stuck On You - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles [[1966)
    Break It Up - Jr Walker & The Allstars [[1966)
    Don't You Feel It - Stevie Wonder [[1964)
    Can't Break The Habit - Martha Reeves & The Vandellas [[1965)
    I Can't Escape Your Memory - The Four Tops [[1967)
    Lois - Stevie Wonder [[1963)
    Stay In My Lonely Arms - Diana Ross & The Supremes [[1967)
    Tearstained Letter - The Temptations [[1962)
    Have the songs The Day Will Come or Break It Up appeared on any other collections?

honest man Guest
    Well a'int that a great feeling to actually see a lost and found cd again.i loved these sets ,hope this is the start up of this fantastic series being issued once again . PLEASE...................POWERS THAT BE, cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    Have the songs The Day Will Come or Break It Up appeared on any other collections?
    Ross, "Break It Up" appeared on the UK two-fer Shotgun / Soul Sessions. Now, ever since this Motown's Brightest Stars LP was released, I wondered why "The Day Will Come" was even on it. It's on Mary's 2nd album "The One Who Really Loves You", which was [[and will soon be again) released on CD.

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    "The Day Will Come" was released on the two disc set "Mary Wells Looking Back 1961-1964" released in 1993. It's from the album "The One Who Really Loves You" which was released on CD [[as a twofer with "Bye Bye Baby") in 1987.
    Last edited by sophisticated_soul; 10-30-2012 at 05:29 PM.

RossHolloway Guest
    Thanks Sophisticated Soul and Johnny Raven! I know the version of Can't Break the Habit is a different version than the one that appeard on Martha & The Vandella's Lost & Found.

I am really looking forward to this!