[REMOVE ADS]

David Ruffin - You're My Peace Of Mind

This one has me puzzled. I have two different versions of this. One is more upbeat and has horns at the beginning and a much better arrangement. The other one is more simplified without the horns but lacks the excitement of the first one. Does anyone know why there are two versions? I somehow missed this one back then and only knew the version by Faith, Hope & Charity. David's is quite stunning and I can't believe it didn't hit higher. Some discographies list it and others don't. I did find that it was a U.S. single released in January 1978. Also, which version opened his "In My Stride" album? Thanks for any help.
    Attachment 5478

Can anyone help?

Quote Originally Posted by nathanj06 View Post
    This one has me puzzled. I have two different versions of this. One is more upbeat and has horns at the beginning and a much better arrangement. The other one is more simplified without the horns but lacks the excitement of the first one. Does anyone know why there are two versions? I somehow missed this one back then and only knew the version by Faith, Hope & Charity. David's is quite stunning and I can't believe it didn't hit higher. Some discographies list it and others don't. I did find that it was a U.S. single released in January 1978. Also, which version opened his "In My Stride" album? Thanks for any help.
    Attachment 5478
    thanks for pointing out these two very different versions of this moving Van McCoy David Ruffin collaboration!!

Quote Originally Posted by nathanj06 View Post
    Attachment 5478
    thanks for pointing out these two very different versions of this moving Van McCoy David Ruffin collaboration!!

The 3:30 version is the single, the 5:23 version is the album version. The single version here sounds like its only one channel, the one missing is the harmonica, some of the horns and the guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by zebop View Post
    The 3:30 version is the single, the 5:23 version is the album version. The single version here sounds like its only one channel, the one missing is the harmonica, some of the horns and the guitar.
    It's more than just an LP vs. an edited single version though . They're two quite different disco approaches to the song with the harmonica [[ I hear it on the single youtube version) soon replaced by strings in the single version's opening . Also notice the female vocals sing first in the longer version and Ruffin starts off alone in the single version. .... etc..
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 10-16-2012 at 03:23 AM.

Thanks guys. Yes, there must be more to the story on this. Love the song and just curious about why it was done this way.