[REMOVE ADS]

Any Girl in Love - Diana Ross & the Andantes

Any Girl in Love [[Knows What I'm Going Through) appeared to be a new Motown original but was actually a cover as well. It had been recorded first by Kim Weston in 1964, although her original version went unreleased for 41 years. In December '64 Diana Ross recorded new vocals to Weston's backing track, but Mary and Flo did not, leaving the Andantes, who backed Kim's original, to sub as Supremes.

From I Hear A Symphony booklet.

As I said in another thread there are a couple songs on the IHAS album that I know are not Mary and Flo and this was one of them. I think this was revealed a long time ago though because I remember reading about it before this.

This was written about in the timeline for the 40th anniversary edition of WHERE DID OUR LOVE GO set.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    As I said in another thread there are a couple songs on the IHAS album that I know are not Mary and Flo and this was one of them. I think this was revealed a long time ago though because I remember reading about it before this.
    Well it would make sense that the backing vocals are not Mary or Florence since track was not recorded for the Supremes. It's just Diane singing on a used track from a Kim Weston session. They probably did it to save money and to fill out the album. No biggie.
    Last edited by marv2; 10-02-2012 at 09:06 PM.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  21.1 KB
    Kim Weston's version of this song, with the same music tracks and the same background singer tracks blows this one away, I've never understood why the Kim Weston version wasn't released as a single. It was the cut I fought hardest to have included in The "From The Vaults" album series.

No Andantes bashing please.

Probably Kim's wasn't released because that wasn't the light, pop-ish sound that became popular in 1964.

Some of the Andantes book has a little bit of a different ring to it these days.

As I recall The Supremes are on all the IHAS originally issued tracks except for this one. Flo is particularly audible on Stranger In Paradise, the stereo mix. It may be other backing singers on Lovers Concerto, it's hard to tell since the background singers are just harmonizing and not pronouncing any words. Definitely Flo on He's All I Got

I can't get over how great Mary sounds on her portion of the live version of People

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Kim Weston's version of this song, with the same music tracks and the same background singer tracks blows this one away, I've never understood why the Kim Weston version wasn't released as a single. It was the cut I fought hardest to have included in The "From The Vaults" album series.
    I think one of the reasons why I always thought it was Mary and Florence in the background was because Diana's voice blends so well with the background. And am I the only one who thinks that the Supreme's version is slightly faster than Kim Weston's version? Or maybe just a different mix of the same instrumental track.

RossHolloway Guest
    I've always love the Supreme's version, from the first time I heard it. There's more of a cry in Diana's voice than in Kim's version. The song was perfect for Diana's voice. Another highly underrated HDH composition.

Views: 492
    Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    I think one of the reasons why I always thought it was Mary and Florence in the background was because Diana's voice blends so well with the background. And am I the only one who thinks that the Supreme's version is slightly faster than Kim Weston's version? Or maybe just a different mix of the same instrumental track.

The Supremes' version may, in fact, be slightly faster than THIS particular mix of Kim's versions. But this mix is NOT the version we had set up for "From The Vaults". Our version had the same instrumental mix and Andantes' background vocals as The Supremes' version had. It was faster than the beat on this one.

Analog recording equipment from that period usually had a "pitch" control which allowed the producer to speed up or slow down a song. Sometimes however, if a vocal was recorded over an instrumental perhaps taped on a different make or model this could also cause speed up or slow down issues

RossHolloway Guest
Views: 492

The Supremes' version may, in fact, be slightly faster than THIS particular mix of Kim's versions. But this mix is NOT the version we had set up for "From The Vaults". Our version had the same instrumental mix and Andantes' background vocals as The Supremes' version had. It was faster than the beat on this one.
    I'd love to hear this other version done by Kim Weston then.

It's on her Motown Anthology that came out a few years ago. The intro is clipped, fingersnaps added. There is another version floating that is much closer to the Supremes version. The instrumental track is the same for all

Whenever I come across Kim Weston's career, I'm always stumped and disappointed at how maligned she was while at Motown.