[REMOVE ADS]

R B Greaves ... R.I.P.

It has been confirmed by a family member that R B Greaves [[age 68) has passed away.
    R B Greaves [[Sam Cooke's nephew) spent much of the 1960's in the UK where under the name of Sonny Childe he fronted the TNT who were a top live mod / soul act in clubs here.
    He moved to the UK in 1963 & returned to the US around 1969, changed he performing name to R B Greaves and had a couple of big hits [["Take A Letter Maria" being the biggest of these).

Whilst in the UK he cut a number of tracks and had 3 x 45's released [[1 on Decca + 2 on Polydor).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqdwSeviCu8

Sonny & the group played some top gigs whilst based here. They were the opening act on this 1967 UK touring package ....

Attachment 5472

I remember R.B. Greaves. "Take A Letter Maria" was very popular during 1969-70 and a personal favorite. Rest in peace and thanks for that song.

Marv

I was just reading about RB Greaves the other day. He is featured on the Come Together : Black America Sings the Beatles CD. He was from British Guyana. There seems to be some confusion over whether he was related to Sam Cooke. One of Cooke's sisters allegedly said Graaves was not related to the Cook family. May he rest in peace.

Kamasu, I heard he wasn't related also. Rest in Peace, Mr. Greaves.
    Last edited by nosey; 10-04-2012 at 01:10 PM.

Didn't realize how much like Sam Cooke he sounds.

I always thought Take A Letter Maria would have been a perfect song for Tony Orlando & Dawn. In fact, some people think Tony Orlando did record this song.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 10-04-2012 at 04:38 PM.

I always thought that "Take a Letter Maria" sounded very "Caribbean", was a great recording, and never understood why it was never a big hit in Britain, seeing that at the time of its release [[1969) we had a lot of Jamaican/Reggae chart hits.

R.I.P. R.B.GREAVES.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    I always thought that "Take a Letter Maria" sounded very "Caribbean", was a great recording, and never understood why it was never a big hit in Britain, seeing that at the time of its release [[1969) we had a lot of Jamaican/Reggae chart hits.

R.I.P. R.B.GREAVES.

Roger
    He sounded like Freddy Fender to me aka Mexican. It was a pretty hit here in the U.S. It received a lot of airplay towards the end of 1969 and into 1970.

I always loved "Take a Letter, Maria"...thanks for clarifying his relationship to Sam Cooke [[which didn't exist). RIP, R.B., and thank you...

Best,

Mark

For those of us who were around in the 60s, it seems like a day or two cannot go by without hearing that someone else that we knew and loved has passed. Sorry to hear about R B.