[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

"Nightflight" Tues Oct 2, 9P-12M ET: "I Hear A Symphony" expanded with Andy & George!

Welcome, my friends! Another amazing show is awaiting you on "Nightflight'. Joining me tonight for the unveiling of "The Supremes: 'I Hear A Symphony"-the Expanded Edition'" are it's producers...the peerless Andy Skurow and the inimitable George Solomon. Along with Universal's master engineer, Kevin Reeves, Andy and George are giving us, not only the complete mono album, but a stereo master of the album that has been unearthed, 3 alternate versions, 3 new remixes, and a full, live performace of Diana, Mary and Florence from Detroit's Roostertail supperclub from Sept 26, 1966.
    So do join me tonight with MY personal Supremes...Andy and George...and those OTHER Supremes...
    on "Nightflight"...on WOMR 92.1 FM in Provincetown and WFMR 91.3 FM Orleans and streaming live
    worldwide in digital stereo at www.womr.org
    Thanks to you all...and thanks so very much to Andy, George, Kevin and Harry Weinger for allowing
    "Nightflight" to web/broadcast for the first time "The Supremes:'I Hear A Symphony"-the Expanded Edition!
    Please...no phone calls tonight...I will be on the phone with Andy and George!
    John
    PS...a little heads up..."Nightflight" will not be on Oct 23, as I will be on my exciting trip to Universal Music
    in NYC. Thanks!
    Name:  51zhujD58BL__SL500_AA280_.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  18.3 KB

Very much looking forward to tonight's show! Also, have a great time in NYC, MJ! I know you will have a great time there!

A thousand violins will fill the air.
    And God only knows how many listeners on the airwaves.

I'll be one of them.
    With violin.

I cry not for myself.
    But for those who've never known the joy of

NIGHTFLIGHT.

So inviting.
    So exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Very much looking forward to tonight's show! Also, have a great time in NYC, MJ! I know you will have a great time there!
    Great you'll be here, Carlo! And thanks!!!!! I'm EXCITED!

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah2 View Post
    A thousand violins will fill the air.
    And God only knows how many listeners on the airwaves.

I'll be one of them.
    With violin.

I cry not for myself.
    But for those who've never known the joy of

NIGHTFLIGHT.

So inviting.
    So exciting.
    Thank you, Bruce, for the prosetry!! So glad you'll be here!

Johnny,
    I so wish I could listen in tonite! Alas, I have another commitment and won't be home until 9pm pacific. Wish I could record these shows.....
    Dang..and I have some comments/questions:

1)I received my IHAS set yesterday. Absolutely exquisite would be my description; THE SOUND, OMG!!!! the strings, the lushness, the harmonies..the extras..Far & Away the best release ever! CD 1: Tracks 26 &27 and CD 2 Tracks 1-3, WOW, worth the price for those alone. The Roostertail performance is revelatory & IMHO the best live recording of the Supremes I have ever heard.
    2) George, there are 8 songs from the IHAS Album included in the Roostertail lineup.
    3) The picture on page 8 of the booklet: Flo is in the middle..that's usually Mary's spot. Are they performing "People" in that photograph?
    4) The Scott Regan clips on the "Supreme Rarities." Diana & Scott talk about "the other night at the Roostertail."
    5) Their first Vegas engagement took place right after the Roostertail. Are there any recordings of that engagement at the Flamingo? If so, what differences re there in the lineup from the Roostertail and/or Copa show?

Many, many thanks to Harry,Andy, George & Kevin for their stellar work!
    Looking forward to "Baby It's Me" and "A Go Go"

Quote Originally Posted by Sacramento John View Post
    Johnny,
    I so wish I could listen in tonite! Alas, I have another commitment and won't be home until 9pm pacific. Wish I could record these shows.....
    Dang..and I have some comments/questions:

1)I received my IHAS set yesterday. Absolutely exquisite would be my description; THE SOUND, OMG!!!! the strings, the lushness, the harmonies..the extras..Far & Away the best release ever! CD 1: Tracks 26 &27 and CD 2 Tracks 1-3, WOW, worth the price for those alone. The Roostertail performance is revelatory & IMHO the best live recording of the Supremes I have ever heard.
    2) George, there are 8 songs from the IHAS Album included in the Roostertail lineup.
    3) The picture on page 8 of the booklet: Flo is in the middle..that's usually Mary's spot. Are they performing "People" in that photograph?
    4) The Scott Regan clips on the "Supreme Rarities." Diana & Scott talk about "the other night at the Roostertail."
    5) Their first Vegas engagement took place right after the Roostertail. Are there any recordings of that engagement at the Flamingo? If so, what differences re there in the lineup from the Roostertail and/or Copa show?

Many, many thanks to Harry,Andy, George & Kevin for their stellar work!
    Looking forward to "Baby It's Me" and "A Go Go"
    Sacramento John....sorry you will miss the show, but i'm glad you felt like you could post your questions! We'll post whatever info is arrived at here for you. And thanks for your interest!
    John

Johnny, just wanted to let you know that baltimore is listening. i had the pleasure to meet Andy and universal about 2 years ago. it was the best birthday present ever and Andy was so gracious to me and my friends. i know you will have a great time.
    lookn 4ward to tonights show.i love the new 2012 MY WORLD IS EMPTY WITHOUT YOU mix.

Johnny, yeah,my main question would be about BABY ITS ME, although i'm sure it's right around the corner,probably right after the first of the year. it seems that we get a sups or ross release about every 6 months or so.
    wasnt there a live set [[unreleased) called LIVE IN NEVEDA? i think Andy might know the answer to this.

Quote Originally Posted by davidh View Post
    Johnny, just wanted to let you know that baltimore is listening. i had the pleasure to meet Andy and universal about 2 years ago. it was the best birthday present ever and Andy was so gracious to me and my friends. i know you will have a great time.
    lookn 4ward to tonights show.i love the new 2012 MY WORLD IS EMPTY WITHOUT YOU mix.
    David....great to hear from B'more....still miss it lots! Glad you'll be here! Thanks about the trip...i know it will be one of MY seven wonders of the world! We'll check out your question! Thanks for it!

....in the studio!!!

I Hear A Symphony album Billboard chart analysis

When IHAS hit the Billboard Top LP chart on March 19th, 1966 at #106 it would join three other Supremes albums, At The Copa was still steadily selling at #15, More Hits By The Supremes was at #57, and Where Did Our Love Go at #85. The top selling Motown family album that week was The Miracles Going To A Go Go spending its last week in the top 10 at #10. The album hit stores just as My World Is Empty Without You was decending down the chart after peaking at #5. [[It peaked at #4 in both Record World and Cash Box however) It was at #30 that week and would spend only one more charted week at #49 before disappearing completely. It would be a month before the next single, Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart would debut on the chart in the April 30th issue. The album exploded quickly moving to #44 then #19 in its third week. Its worth noting that when it reached the top 20, it was the first time the Motown Corporation history that they had 4 albums charted that high. The other three were Temptin Temptations at #15, Copa at #17, and Going To A Go Go at #18. The upward momentum continued with moves to #14 and #11 before reaching the top ten for the first time the week of april 23rd. The only major move in the top 10 besides the Supremes arrival was the explosion on Barbra Streisands TV soundtrack album, Color Me Barbra from #67 to #6 in its third week. The following week IHAS would reach its peak of number #8 although it would have moved up to #7 if it hadnt had been for the Rolling Stones "Big Hits High Tide And Green Grass" collection rocketing past it to #4 in its third chart week. Symphony would hold at eight for three weeks perhaps helped by the exploding Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart over on the Hot 100 which initially flew up the chart like a potential number one #62-#26-#15-#10 before surprisingly stalling at nine the following week, just as Symphony began its retreat back down the chart, spending its last week in the LP top 10 the same week Itching stopped scratching its way up.

There was probably light confusion amongst fans as to why the current single wasnt on the album but once they heard the set they likely understood how it would have stuck out on IHAS. Perhaps if Motown had got the LP out a month earlier to capitalize on My World Is Empty Without You it wouldve gone top five.

The other LPs charted above Symphony during its top ten run were...

Herb Alpert - Going Places
    sgt. Barry Sadler - Ballad Of The Green Berets
    Herb Alpert - Whipped Cream And Other Delights
    Soundtrack - The Sound Of Music
    Nancy Sinatra - Boots
    Al Martino - Spanish Eyes
    The Best Of The Animals
    Dave Clark Fives Greatest Hits
    Barbra Streisand - Color Me Barbra
    Rolling Stones - Big Hits High Tide And Green Grass
    Mamas And The Papas - If You Can Believe Your Eyes And Ears
    Righteous Brothers - Soul And Inspiration
    Last edited by Glenpwood; 10-02-2012 at 08:53 PM.

Look forward to the show tonight John..... Cya guys then!

John, as they say in the ol'symphony pit: "Horns up."
    I always look forward to your visits with Andy and George. I know a terrific evening is just about to start. Let the fun begin!

Hooray! Can't wait for the show and thanks again for all the Supremes Shows, Midnight Johnny!

Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    Look forward to the show tonight John..... Cya guys then!
    Welcome, Glen P.

Glad the show has started. Looking forward to this one!

Some discographies listed M-640 as Live At Lake Tahoe by the Supremes. The 1995 Supremes Anthology shows this title in the 'The Albums' listing.
    Both Sides Now Stereo Newsletter website now lists this as an unreleased Motown live album by Billy Eckstine.
    Perhaps Andy & George can clarify.

Quote Originally Posted by ejluther View Post
    Hooray! Can't wait for the show and thanks again for all the Supremes Shows, Midnight Johnny!
    Hello, ejluther...and welcome to you!!!

Welcome Carole and Danman!!!!!

Always loved Andy Williams. Will your lead in track to the arrival of the other Andy we all love [[and George whom we also love) be the Supremes [[Diana, Mary & Flo) performing with Andy Williams? It would be a very effective lead -in.

Beautiful tribute to Andy, John.... I pulled my Petula Clark 69 TV Special DVD to watch his performance of Happy Heart. I Love how selfless Pet was to let him perform it and steal the hit since they both had singles out of it. That duet of Visions Of Sugarplums was beautifully shot as well on it....

I have ARRIVED!!

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    Always loved Andy Williams. Will your lead in track to the arrival of the other Andy we all love [[and George whom we also love) be the Supremes [[Diana, Mary & Flo) performing with Andy Williams? It would be a very effective lead -in.
    Carole....where were you when I was planning the show??? GOOD IDEA!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    I have ARRIVED!!

Howdy and welcome jimi!

Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    Beautiful tribute to Andy, John.... I pulled my Petula Clark 69 TV Special DVD to watch his performance of Happy Heart. I Love how selfless Pet was to let him perform it and steal the hit since they both had singles out of it. That duet of Visions Of Sugarplums was beautifully shot as well on it....
    Thanks Glen!

Greetings!

john,baltimore is here ,hello to Andy and George

George,
    If you need an additional proof-reader, I'm available.

I read on another forum that He's All I Got was recorded in 1965 and intended as a single release until H-D-H came up with Stop! In the Name Of Love? Is this true?

Please tell Andy & George that I love the new set - impeccably done! I'm more of a Diana fan than ever after hearing these alternate takes and Roostertail.

could andy and george comment on what other albums were the Supremes most successful albums?

supremester Guest

I love this new set!!!!!!

Please tell Andy & George I'm in love with this set. It's as good as The Black Album and just blew us away last night.

They are loved and appreciated!

Gregg Simon

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    Please tell Andy & George that I love the new set - impeccably done! I'm more of a Diana fan than ever after hearing these alternate takes and Roostertail.

Kamasu,
    'He's All I Got' was recorded on April 19, 1965; strings added April 28, 1965; Vocals recorded May 3, 1965.
    'Stop In The Name Of Love' was recorded on January 5, 1965; vocals recorded January 7, 1965 and January 11 , 1965. The single was released on February 8, 1965, well before 'He's All I Got' was recorded.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Greetings!
    Mary....welcome....nice to see you!!

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    Kamasu,
    'He's All I Got' was recorded on April 19, 1965; strings added April 28, 1965; Vocals recorded May 3, 1965.
    'Stop In The Name Of Love' was recorded on January 5, 1965; vocals recorded January 7, 1965 and January 11 , 1965. The single was released on February 8, 1965, well before 'He's All I Got' was recorded.
    Hmmmm. Maybe He's All I Got was being considered as an A-side single.

Question:

Nothing is ever mentioned about THE SUPREMES SING BALONEY AND CHEESE. Oops, I mean COUNTRY, WESTERN, & POP. No mention. Silence. Zilch. So, are those the plans--Nothing? The less said, the better? I can live with that.

i think the stereo mix of STRANGER IN PARADISE is the best and my favorite song on the album. great harmonies from the ladies

Stereo 'Stranger In Paradise' Wow! Can't wait til my copy arrives.

Great show so far and that comparison blows me away.

Great show and can't wait to get home next week and open up my IHAS.

now you have craving the SUPREMES A GO GO album . i always thought that album was uneven somehow. some songs i love while others seem so laid back.hoping the masters will unveil some gems .

Another question:

Have Andy and George ever considered doing a book of Supremes photos--the rarely, if not ever, seen? I would imagine that they might have access to such photos. Such a book would be a wonder, a dream come true.

P.S. Are Andy and George familiar with the coffee-cup shot recently unearthed? Chock Full O' Supremes is the heavenly coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Greetings!
    Mary....welcome....nice to see you!!

Andy & George,
    If you do John's show, you know you'll have to preview songs still to be released on upcoming projects- such as the He's All I Got version you've just mentioned.

Andy , You sly devil.....You snuck in 1 extra track on the Supremes' Box Set; there are 89 tracks + the 12 track bonus disc "In Person An Evening With The Supremes"

Question:

When a vinyl album was being finalized in the 60s just before being pressed, was it not reviewed, not listened to first? How could IHAS not be spotted for missing the stereo version? A version labeled STEREO was sold at a higher price. That wasn't overlooked.

P.S. Was the dove on the cover alive?

George,
    Did you notice that immediately after the instrumental break, Mary & Flo's background vocals sound softer than they do elsewhere... I'm not sure they are softer, but to the average ear, they sound softer. Perhaps that may be part of the reason why the interlude was excised.

John;
    I caught the first part of your show this evening with the tribute medley to Andy Williams. I was in my early teens during his heyday and at the time thought his music was cheesy. Listening to the set you put together made me realize how "grownup" his music choices were and how I can relate to the themes So much more now. A lovely tribute.
    Sadly, for me, the rest of your show to date has been nothing short of frustration. For some reason I had to get on to iTunes to listen to your station streaming and it "buffers out" every 10 minutes or so. I know it's NOT your fault. Time to get a new mac I guess. There's so many sites I can't access when the systems get too old. I'll keep trying. I only wish you were still posting the spoken word parts of these shows. Cheers! Mark

Speaking of IHAS:

The Supremes did a commercial for Arrid Extra-Dry Deodorant as they sang IHAS. Keeps 'em cool and dry, as I remember. Strange but true.