[REMOVE ADS]

Sweet motown harmony...who's the best-temptations...miracles...four tops???

I'll bet you a new case of hooch[hehe]that most motown folks would choose the temps and ya'll know me...ahhh but i'm gonna spring this on ya i've seen both of these legends live many times and i give the edge to the[drumroll]...four tops,yes i said it the harmony from-levi-duke-lawrence-obie is tops but that's just my opinion what's your?

Ooooh! Don't even try it! LOL! No one does harmony better than the Four Tops. This is not a fair comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    ooooh! Don't even try it! Lol! No one does harmony better than the four tops. This is not a fair comparison.
    haaaaaaaaa,hey marv,great minds think alike,but let's hear from some other folk!!!

Marv and arr&bee...I beg to disagree, my friends.

It's the Classic 5 Temptations, no contest.

Quote Originally Posted by gary View Post
    Marv and arr&bee...I beg to disagree, my friends.

It's the Classic 5 Temptations, no contest.
    Are you serious? I mean are you really serious? The Four Tops had the tightest harmonies in Modern R&B. That was their forte and it is clearly evident in many of their recordings and live appearances. The Temptations were good at ensemble where each guy sings a different part [[the Tops were good at that too "Ain't No Woman Like the One I Got"). but the Tops ruled when it came to the harmonies.

Of course the four tops had the advantage of having been together since the fifties with the same personel.

Quote Originally Posted by arrr&bee View Post
    Of course the four tops had the advantage of having been together since the fifties with the same personel.
    Very true and I'll acknowledge that fact.

I'm not sure if it is a question as to who was better. The two were very distinctive groups with a developed sound that worked for them. Apples and oranges. Both superb.

smark21 Guest
    The Originals were not exactly slouches either. They had a great group sound.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Are you serious? I mean are you really serious? The Four Tops had the tightest harmonies in Modern R&B. That was their forte and it is clearly evident in many of their recordings and live appearances. The Temptations were good at ensemble where each guy sings a different part [[the Tops were good at that too "Ain't No Woman Like the One I Got"). but the Tops ruled when it came to the harmonies.
    Yeah I'm serious. I mean I am really serious.

For me, it's the Four Tops. They had the tightest harmonies. Just give their version of "The Look of Love" a spin and you'll see. I love the Temptations, but the Four Tops' harmonies had the edge.

Quote Originally Posted by gary View Post
    Yeah I'm serious. I mean I am really serious.
    Gary! hehehehehehehehe...ok man.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    The Originals were not exactly slouches either. They had a great group sound.

The Originals were good, in fact excellent on certain material. The Four Tops stood out because they sounded great on ANY material! Songs as diverse as "MacArthur Park" to "Catfish", from "Climb Every Mountain" to "Sexy Ways". They were just BADDDD!

I've also seen the Tops, Temptations and Miracles live and agree that the Tops were the best for harmony.