[REMOVE ADS]

Mike Love sacks original Beach Boys

Mike's renowned for some down and dirty deeds over the years, possibly one of the most litigious men in the history of rock and roll, but his latest trick beats the lot. With 2 concerts left to play in the UK, he's announced that the Beach Boys will tour on as just himself and Bruce Johnson, plus their back-up band, leaving originals Brian Wilson and Al Jardine and early-60s member David Marks to fill their time in other ways.

Love owns the BB name, and has been touring with Johnston as such for years.

it seemed all was going well with the reunion, until this. By the way I presume he won't be taking the touring band with him, as they superbly back up Brian when he goes on the road.

We;ve had some acrimonious splits in the black music world, but I think nothing like this.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...-entertainment

I was going to post this but I had to respond from work. I cant STAND Mike Love. Never have never will. I appreciate his contributions and efforts to the work of the Beach Boys and being a fan I have followed their career and know about all of the lawsuits but THIS takes the cake. I never though he would go this low and ruin their 50th anniversary! Brian and Al dont even know why he did this! I saw a statement saying Mike did it for economic reasons. Man the Beach Boys have loyal fans and always sellout even when they had the different factions with Al Jardine being called Beach Boys and Friends, Brian Wilson on his own doing solo albums and the Smile Tour. Mike Love has Bruce Johnston who should be with Brian but anyway I dont understand this.

I was thinking about him a few weeks ago thinking he may have changed but I guess he hasnt. I saw his true colors when he made a horrible speech at the Rock and Roll Hall of fame digging at Diana Ross and Paul McCartney and it was uncalled for. Its on youtube if you want to witness him at his best being a prick. Constantly suing Brian for this and that it goes on and on. I think Brian should not let him perform any of his songs unless Mike has a hand in those legally as well.

The band Mike is going to use utilizes his son and some other people I dont know their names. Brain can go on with Al Jardine, and David Marks and do just fine. Mike Love cant dance but that was his appeal as a frontman and I will admit his voice did lend to some of their hits but this is abominable. More later.

I think you might be right Stephanie.

When you bitch and whine and sue people all the time, it tends to be because you are a bitch, a whiner and miserable........and Mike kinda fits the bill.

I saw a recent interview Mike Love and Briana Wilson did for this tour. You could sense the tension and that Love wanted to make sure everyone knew who was exactly in control-him. But ultimately, I don't really care.

If not for Brian Wilson Mike Love would be doing his silly dance to Little Deuce Coupe during bis lunch break at the Southern California aircraft factory he'd be working at on the assembly line instead of being the mediocre lead singer for one of the greatest rock bands of all time. Love stole the naming rights for the Beach Boys for a bargain basement price of 250 thousand dollars when Brian didn't know what he ate for breakfast that day let alone how to make a reasonable business decision. Mike Love is a fortunate goofball.

I was hoping someone would say that Brian wanted too much money, or Al didnt want to continue or something of that nature. I didnt want to be right but Stu when you posted and I read your words that confirmed it for me. My mom is a pretty good judge of character [[RIP Mommy) but in the 70s we were watching television one day and everytime she would see Mike Love [[and she knew nothing of their history just the music) she told me that guy is trouble there is something about him I dont like. Boy was she right years later!

Again Im not a hater or a rabid fan when it comes to the personal lives of musicians but this one really angered me to do this in the middle or close to end of a tour. I have never heard Brian badmouth this guy even when he pulls these stunts every so many years. Im shocked Brian still talks to this nutcase! Stu how did this happen. I have always wondered how did Love even manage to get all of this control? I guess when Brian was in a stupor Mike was able to convince people or the group that he should handle all of the Beach Boys legal affairs or something. If that is the case I can understand that but when it happened it seemed like every so many years Mike was suing all of the time I would think he would be a millionaire by now. Oh well.

I just believe Steph that there may have been a time when Brian had weirded out, Dennis was also being a freak, Al had tired of being a Beach Boy and wanted to go back to school, Glen Campbell decided he was more cowboy than Southern California surfer guy...so Mike hooks up with Bruce, picks up the ball, snaggs the rights to use the name, and goes out to perform and make money off the musical creations of mainly Brian [[and the incredible background harmonies) being his own goofy self and having been fortunate to carry the tune as the lead singer on most of their songs. I could understand this if Brian were relapsing, but I haven't heard that. At this point Mike probably figured that he's the only original survivor who was a Beach Boy every step of the way and wants the lions share of the money. Personally I'd pay to see Brian before I went to see Mike and Bruce for free.

Mike Love, he so baddd, hehehehehehehe!

No surprise that Mike Love would do something so dicky to his former bandmates!

Stu--by all means, if you get the chance to see Brian in concert, GO! I saw him a few years back, and he is the real deal...at least when you see him, he's not going through the motions like Mike and whoever he's performing with. Brian had a helluva backup band and the Wondermints singing behind him...it was a great show, and I would LOVE to see him again!!!

Best,

Mark

Mike Love and his ridiculous ranting at the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame was a disgrace. He only made himself look like a fool which he is. I think we all agree that Brian Wilson IS the Beach Boys and that will never be taken from him no matter what Mike Love owns or doesn't own. Money can tear people apart in that business and Love should be ashamed.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanj06 View Post
    Mike Love and his ridiculous ranting at the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame was a disgrace. He only made himself look like a fool which he is. I think we all agree that Brian Wilson IS the Beach Boys and that will never be taken from him no matter what Mike Love owns or doesn't own. Money can tear people apart in that business and Love should be ashamed.
    True. Brian Wilson was and is the Beach Boys. That's why I don't care what Mike Love does. I wouldn't pay 1 cent to see him walk on the sidewalk.

I remember reading brian's book and mike was a bit of a villian then too!

So sad as so many groups start as school friends and then it becomes, lawyers, law suits, copyrights, etc. I remember one artist telling me it is the music business and the three middle letters in business...well.

they preformed on UK TV last night, BBC's Later with Jools Holland and Brian Wilson was there, I think that it was only recorded earlier this week.