[REMOVE ADS]

Drifters, Shirrelles, Little Eva, Crystals, Darlene Love & More NOW ON BROADWAY

Beautiful — The Carole King Musical

Just saw a preview of this show and was totally won over by it. The book was centered around Carol King, but it was so much more than that. Anyone who likes music, or is interested in the music industry would love this musical. Just some of the featured songs were Some Kind Of Wonderful, He's Sure The Boy I Love, Up On The Roof, On Broadway, The Locomotion, One Fine Day, Chains, Walking In The Rain, Uptown, and [[You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman. And it also feautured one of my favorite songs WILL YOU STILL LOVE ME TOMORROW. It was sung by "The Shirelles", and it had almost the same arrangement and sound as the original Shirelles record.

Carol King's songs and her own singing career are featured during the latter part of the show, but most of the show is about her and Gerry Geffen as writing partners and husband and wife; and their friendship with competitor writing team of Cynthis Weil and Barry Mann.

I enjoyed this show as much as Motown The Musical, maybe even more , since I didn't know much about Carol King before the Tapestry Album.

The show is only in previews and has not yet been reviewed, but the theatre was sold out.

This is a show that I will definately see again

Beautiful — The Carole King Musical
    Stephen Sondheim Theatre

Beautiful tells the true story of Carole King’s remarkable rise to stardom, from being part of a hit songwriting team with her husband Gerry Goffin, to her relationship with fellow writers and friends Cynthia Weil and Barry Mann, to becoming one of the most successful solo acts in popular music history. Along the way, she made more than beautiful music — she wrote the soundtrack to a generation.

Synopsis:
    Long before she was Carole King, chart-topping music legend, she was Carol Klein, a Brooklyn girl with passion and chutzpah. She fought her way into the record business as a teenager and, by the time she reached her twenties, had the husband of her dreams and a flourishing career writing hits for the biggest acts in rock ‘n’ roll. But it wasn’t until her personal life began to crack that she finally managed to find her true voice

Interesting! But she didn't write He's Sure The Boy I Love, Uptown, or Walking In The Rain. That was Cynthia Weil and her husband Barry Mann. On Broadway was a Weil-Mann compostion too. Carole King and Gerry Goffin, however, probably had the most hits and wrote some great, great timeless songs.

Well, on second look, I see they focus on the friendships between the two writing teams which is why all the music isn't hers.

Quote Originally Posted by rrussi View Post
    Interesting! But she didn't write He's Sure The Boy I Love, Uptown, or Walking In The Rain. That was Cynthia Weil and her husband Barry Mann. On Broadway was a Weil-Mann compostion too. Carole King and Gerry Goffin, however, probably had the most hits and wrote some great, great timeless songs.
    Cynthia Weil and Barry Mann were main characters in the play. They competed with Carol King and Gerry Goffen at the Brill Building. The two couples were also best friends. Don Kirshner was looking for a number one hit for the Shirelles and asked each team to write the hit. Carol King and her husband came up with WILL YOU STILL LOVE ME TOMORROW and and Cythia and Barry came up with He's Sure The Boy I Love.

I can't wait to see this again.