[REMOVE ADS]

RossHolloway Guest

Hey Man - We Gotta Get You A Woman - The Four Tops

This IMO is one of the Four Tops greatest and most overlooked recording late in their career at Motown [['72). I first heard it off of their Anthology CD, but it hardly ever shows up on any collections anymore. I definitely like the direction this song took the group in, too bad its not remembered or played much. Thoughts and opinions?

RossHolloway Guest
    Soul Train line dance. Fun clip to watch.

Soul Train promoted the album cut, but apparently Motown didn't have the forethought to issue it as a single, in part because the group bolted for ABC/Dunhill.

i'v always loved We Got To Get You A Women by The Four Tops,they sound great
    Please stay positive

That mix of funk and latin flavor was perfect for the Tops...I wore that muthafunkeer out!
    It was so good to hear Levi sharing leads with the guys and the raps were right on time
    with the way people were communicating with each other. Brotherhood, honesty and
    addressing the issue of sex without a bit of vulgarity... [[we had Funkadelic for that)... yes.
    I dug the Soul Train video too...

Great song!!

Another favorite of mine from the 70's.

RossHolloway Guest
    Yea it seems that Motown may have wanted to release this song as a single, but apparently the Tops were on their way out the door at this point. Does anyone know if there are any unreleased sides from the group that were recorded between 1970-1972?

Although a mix of styles and producers, I've always loved the Nature Planned It album, however I've got to say Hey Man is my least-favourite track. The title tracks has that gentle groove, Levi's performance on I Am Your Man is stunning, while You Got To Forget Him Darling is the dancefloor hit that never was!

RossHolloway Guest
    Can someone remind me again why we haven't seen any Expanded Editions of any of the Four Tops classic albums? Or even a box set of their complete Motown albums?

Interesting note: the song was written, composed, produced, recorded and released by Todd Rundgren under the assumed name "Runt" in 1970, becoming his first solo hit after he left the psychedelic pop band the Nazz, who had a hit with Todd's "Open My Eyes".

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    Can someone remind me again why we haven't seen any Expanded Editions of any of the Four Tops classic albums? Or even a box set of their complete Motown albums?
    I'm with you. It would be nice to have a deluxe set from someone other than the Supremes.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    I'm with you. It would be nice to have a deluxe set from someone other than the Supremes.
    Why can't we have both? I love the Supreme's and I also love the Four Tops...and the Temps, and Jr. Walker and the Miracles....

..the Vandellas, Marvelettes, Shorty Long, Stevie Wonder, Brenda Holloway, Marv Johnson, Kim Weston, Gladys Knight & The Pips, Edwin Starr, Undisputed Truth, Nick Ashford & Valerie Simpson, Jimmy Ruffin........

RossHolloway Guest
    Did someone say BRENDA HOLLOWAY?!

And has anyone ever heard the songs cut by Nic and Val for their album from the early 70's? Anyone?