[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dionne Warwick's new autobiography coming out in November

I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned here yet. Dionne has a new autobiography coming out in November called, "My Life, As I See It":

http://www.amazon.com/Life-See-Autob.../dp/1439171343

She also has a new CD due soon, covering the songs of Sammy Cahn. She says she feels this is her very best work to date. Apparently Sony Music will be distributing the new album, who are also very excited about this new CD [[according to her website). Looking forward to these new items from Dionne!

"As I See It"?....gotta love Dionne!

I did not know this; thanks Carlo; I'm interested and will buy it.

Dionne really kept news of this project close to her chest. I was surfing Amazon a few months ago, and typing in the name of people that I liked. When the info for Dionne's book came up, I was very surprised as she has often said that she would never write a memoir. But I'm looking forward to it, as I don't think any books about her have ever been done.

Natalie Cole is releasing a new book around the same time.

My girl dionne,i'm gonna read her book should be good,and a new cd too well all i can say is..anyone who had a heart will buy this one!!

i think this will be a most interesting read as her career has be vast and varied!

Generally with artists of Dionnes age they dont remember that much - things happened so quick in the 60s and 70s-Its the fans who generally know more of the details than the artists - I will certainly buy it.

@Nomis, "artists of Dionnes age they don't remember that much"......LOL!!! My mom is 92 and she doesn't remember what happened yesterday but her long-term memory is on the money. -

Nysister! LOL! I know what you mean. My Grandma [[God Bless Her!) could remember everything from when I was a kid , even when my mom was a kid and she was 100 when she passed in 2007.

Dionne Warwick has an interesting story to tell.

This I really want to read...And November only a couple of months away...

uptight Guest
    "As I See It..." Hmmm.

I'm sure she has a lot to draw from with her long, illustrious career. It's about time. And it's always good to have a new album in conjunction with an autobiography.

I have to say I like the title alot.."AS I SEE IT" that is really what most books are anyway....it's life seen from the writer's view...and it may well not be what others feel or saw...but it's interesting to see how Dionne touches the Physic friends network and if she tells us WHY she was drawn to it to begin with.

bill

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Dionne Warwick has an interesting story to tell.

True - but will she really tell it - never the less "AS I SEE IT" by Dionne Warwick - I am sure will be Very Dionne!!! Always the quiet Diva and a Class act.

Quote Originally Posted by Livingallalone View Post
    ...but it's interesting to see how Dionne touches the Physic friends network and if she tells us WHY she was drawn to it to begin with.
    That's what I was thinking as well...I'm curious to read her take on all of that. Should be a good read. This is long overdue.

uptight Guest
    Yeah, Livingallalone. It's better she write it than one of these recent "authors."

Nomis.... I find it really depends on the individual person. Sometimes it's how mnay drugs they take, and some people just have way better memories than others. My best friend tell me he doens't remember anything before the age of 8, and I remember back to age 4 ina very vivid way.

Quote Originally Posted by topdiva1 View Post
    True - but will she really tell it - never the less "AS I SEE IT" by Dionne Warwick - I am sure will be Very Dionne!!! Always the quiet Diva and a Class act.
    Of course she will not really tell it and I think that at this date and time, I prefer she doesn't . Too much of the hardcore gives me indigestion as I get older, hehehehehehe.. Talk about her music, her childhood, Bill Elliot, etc that should be fine.

topdiva1 Guest
    Dionne Warwick has always been guarded and quiet, so like most celebs, she will touch, I guess on the highlights of her life, as she should. I think that her low times will be carefully written, and lovingly edited.

It is known that Warwick has had issues with Diana Ross, but has always been good friends with Mary Wilson, so that part of the book, if she touches on it could be interesting, but I predict, carefully written.

At any rate, Miss Warwick, will present us with a Master Class on Diva Class. She is a true legend.

Dionne Warwick has always been guarded and quiet, so like most celebs, she will touch, I guess on the highlights of her life, as she should. I think that her low times will be carefully written, and lovingly edited.

It is known that Warwick has had issues with Diana Ross, but has always been good friends with Mary Wilson, so that part of the book, if she touches on it could be interesting, but I predict, carefully written.

At any rate, Miss Warwick, will present us with a Master Class on Diva Class. She is a true legend.
    Topdiva... you think she will touch on the Maryjane lipstick tube incident?

Jill was she actually arrested or just detained?

What I mean about artists of her age not remembering much because from shes been in a hell of a lot of hotels,airports and dressing rooms..after awhile they all blend it one for many artists,Unless they keep a diary or conact fans for info in general artists of her age are not that forthcoming...

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    Topdiva... you think she will touch on the Maryjane lipstick tube incident?

I believe Ms. Warwick will touch on this incident - it is after all - the only bit of scandal I remember hearing about in her life that could have lead to an arrest.

Ms. Warwick is pretty squeaky clean, I think. A class act - but I have heard a demanding Diva, but in a nice when - when called for.

She is after all a great and talented lady - you must give her that.

As Much I have enjoyed Dionne Warwick's Music I know the Physic Freinds network lost her a TON of respect and really did her a ton of damange. I think that is pretty close to a Scandal.

Miss D also had some rumble with fund raising as I recall her being on TV defending it-but like most people she is human and she was won hell of a singer in her day!

topdiva1 Guest
    Reportedly Dionne Warwick made multi millions with the physic network gig - if she has some belief in this that is fine - her singing and her career really have nothing to do with that gig. I do not believe she lost a ton of respect because of the astrology thing-

Her fund raising efforts where good - but blown out of proportion - it does cost money to raise funds - all of the stars that donated their talent still had to be flown in , housed, and feed. See did raise money for aids - when others would not touch the subject - BRAVO DIONNE.

Dionne Warwick is truely a living legend and deserves respect.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    What I mean about artists of her age not remembering much because from shes been in a hell of a lot of hotels,airports and dressing rooms..after awhile they all blend it one for many artists,Unless they keep a diary or conact fans for info in general artists of her age are not that forthcoming...

Dionne Warwick's autobiography should be out soon. If it's an honest book it could be good. I wonder how Dionne will handle the Psychic Friends incident. Her sister wasn't sure why she agreed to do the show. Dionne should also discuss the heat she took for defending O.J. Simpson.

Warwick will be very visible the rest of the year and in 2011. She's among the cast members of The Celebrity Apprentice 4, which was rushed into production after the regular Apprentice was cancelled. Warwick is joining a cast that also includes Gary Busey, David Cassidy, Lisa Rinna, LaToya Jackson, Nene Leakes and Star Jones. Man, can you imagine those egos working together... Star Jones, Dionne Warwick and NeNe Leakes. This one should be really good.
    Earlier this year, I asked why some of the former Motowners were not doing reality TVv shows like the Celebrity Apprentice. Most opinions seemed to hold that some Motowners were too good for reality TV. I bet we'll see more of them doing these shows now.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 10-25-2010 at 06:54 PM.

Dionne's book is due to be released on Nov. 2nd. I believe she'll be doing a book signing at the Barnes and Noble near Lincoln Center in NYC on that date.

Re the Psychic Friends network, Dionne has said many times that she took the job because she finds the subject fascinating. And also because it was a good paycheck, at a time when her records were no longer hitting. During that time, she was also a spokesperson for the Edgar Morris skin care line.
    Last edited by reese; 10-25-2010 at 08:06 PM.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    Dionne Warwick's autobiography should be out soon. If it's an honest book it could be good. I wonder how Dionne will handle the Psychic Friends incident. Her sister wasn't sure why she agreed to do the show. Dionne should also discuss the heat she took for defending O.J. Simpson.

Warwick will be very visible the rest of the year and in 2011. She's among the cast members of The Celebrity Apprentice 4, which was rushed into production after the regular Apprentice was cancelled. Warwick is joining a cast that also includes Gary Busey, David Cassidy, Lisa Rinna, LaToya Jackson, Nene Leakes and Star Jones. Man, can you imagine those egos working together... Star Jones, Dionne Warwick and NeNe Leakes. This one should be really good.
    Earlier this year, I asked why some of the former Motowners were not doing reality TVv shows like the Celebrity Apprentice. Most opinions seemed to hold that some Motowners were too good for reality TV. I bet we'll see more of them doing these shows now.

Why in the world would a living legend like Ms. Dionne Warwick - put herself in this reality TV situation hot mess - with Latoya Jackson and Star Jones - I do not understand this move on Warwick's part.

My suspicions might be correct -
    .."The Gospelaires fast became the female voices of choice for background work in New York.We worked behind some of the biggest recording artists of that time:The Shirelles,Ray Charles,Dina Washington,Ben E King,Chuck Jackson,The Exciters,Tommy Hunt,Solomon Burke and the Drifters,Just to name a few."

I dont want to be hard on D -but out of that list she has no memories of these great artists to share? One throwaway paragraph..thats the point of my earlier post -Watching a performer and what the performer themselves actually remembers of those events is two different things..there was a chance there for a co writer or editor to spur D on with memories from that impressive list..and the chance has been missed..
    Last edited by nomis; 10-25-2010 at 09:40 PM.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I hope it gets better - this did not intrigue me at all - but I guess it starts slow.

hate to say it but Im more interested in the people she worked with Isaac Hayes, the Shirelles and Chuck Jackson, Spinners and others. I also would be interested in her recordings I never really wanted to know much about her as a person. I hope she talks about her singing technique and Burt and Hal.

Honey if Im gonna shell out 25 bucks I want to read some dirt!! Are we talking about the same Dionne? A classy, very talented lady granted but come on there are many stories about her out there and I know some of em are true.. Many more than Ive heard about Patti or Gladys...The book aint gonna sell if she doesnt tell some truth.

Why in the world would a living legend like Ms. Dionne Warwick - put herself in this reality TV situation hot mess - with Latoya Jackson and Star Jones - I do not understand this move on Warwick's part.

Are you kidding? The high-five and six figure salaries that some of these reality shows pay is the reason so many former and semi celebrities are signing up. Hanging out in plush Trump Tower with Latoya Jackson & Star Jones definitely beats three months on the road. Plus, some exposure is better than none. Dionne Warwick is no fool. Some of thoose former Motowners like Martha Reeves & Mary Wilson had better get smart.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 10-26-2010 at 06:05 AM.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    Are you kidding? The high-five and six figure salaries that some of these reality shows pay is the reason so many former and semi celebrities are signing up. Hanging out in plush Trump Tower with Latoya Jackson & Star Jones definitely beats three months on the road. Plus, some exposure is better than none. Dionne Warwick is no fool. Some of thoose former Motowners like Martha Reeves & Mary Wilson had better get smart.
    I am out of touch here - I would have thought a grand old school Diva like Ms. Warwick could make six figures very easy - You are right - it will of course give her a wider crowd than she can now generate - quickly.

As far as the book is concerned - she needs o dish at least some dirt. I hoever, do not believe that she will. All of the stars live in a world that is somewhat more glamour filled than it really is. I wonder will she talk about living on the same street in Beverly Hills with the Menedez brothers when they killed thier parents . What about Issac Hayes - what about here thoughts on other female singers. Dionne has a lot to say - but will more than likely remain guarded. Still I will buy it.

I dont want to be hard on D -but out of that list she has no memories of these great artists to share? One throwaway paragraph
    The book is about her not them. The thing about Dionne is this, she seems like a pretty honest person. Hopefully she will write a great book about HER and not "Whitney". For some reason, I see her spending alot of time on her connection to Whitney.

I WOULD love to read about her relationship with the late, great Yvonne Fair, who was her Personal assistant for many years after HER singing career tanked. We all know about her connection to Whitney. Who wants to read about that..again..Just my thoughts..Paulo XXX

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    The book is about her not them. The thing about Dionne is this, she seems like a pretty honest person. Hopefully she will write a great book about HER and not "Whitney". For some reason, I see her spending alot of time on her connection to Whitney.

Being a private person I am surprised she wrote a book at all - believe me she WILL NOT spend a lot of time on Whitney. But she will focus on herself, though it may be boring - I am sure she will have some zingers in her book you will not believe - but on other people she dislikes - not herself.

Dionne will remain closed - leaving much unanswered, and unaccounted for.
    Last edited by topdiva1; 10-27-2010 at 11:50 AM.

...then why "write" a book ? if your not gonna be honest I dont understand the point - Ive just read Julie Goodyears autobiography NOW thats a book..thousands of books are published every week,If you wanna make your mark you gotta grip the reader from page one and add something to the literary scene you cant just write things like.."I played Carneige Hall and it was an incredible experience then I flew to perform in The Andy Williams show after that I toured Australia.." - it just sounds like a laundry list - people only pass books onto friends which they have enjoyed- plain books die a quick death in the industry you gotta hook the reader or why bother?..the pay cheque I guess...

...then why "write" a book ? if your not gonna be honest I dont understand the point - Ive just read Julie Goodyears autobiography NOW thats a book..thousands of books are published every week,If you wanna make your mark you gotta grip the reader from page one and add something to the literary scene you cant just write things like.."I played Carneige Hall and it was an incredible experience then I flew to perform in The Andy Williams show after that I toured Australia.." - it just sounds like a laundry list - people only pass books onto friends which they have enjoyed- plain books die a quick death in the industry you gotta hook the reader or why bother?..the pay cheque I guess...

I agree. The best autobiographies I've read were those by Eetta James, Darlene Love and the biography on Ray Charles as told to David Ritz. You got a sense of honesty from these books. The subjects told you the truth and why they liked someone or why they didn't. For example, Darlene Love wrote Dionne Warwick could be a diva, but she was loyal to those she considered friends. It gave you some clue about Warwick's character.

It was more than "and then I recorded some of my biggest hits...." That's boring. Most of us already know that stuff. Some of the worst autobiographies were Aretha's book in which she described in detail what she ate, but couldn't remember recording sessions or songs she'd written. If you're gonna be guarded of your image then don't write anything.

topdiva1 Guest
    Will Warwick talk about Ross? Will she praise Mary Wilson, her friend. Will she talk about her other long time friend the Diva Leslie Uggams.

I hope Warwick serves us some good tidbits.

However - My money is on short lived and boring.
    Last edited by topdiva1; 10-27-2010 at 04:55 PM.

There's far too much bitching and assuming going on in this thread [[as usual). The book hasn't even come out yet. Give it a chance!

Being a private person I am surprised she wrote a book at all - believe me she WILL NOT spend a lot of time on Whitney. But she will focus on herself, though it may be boring - I am sure she will have some zingers in her book you will not believe - but on other people she dislikes - not herself.

Dionne will remain closed - leaving much unanswered, and unaccounted for.
    i'd love to see her officially OUT Luther, and then dress down every homophobe who might be reading for torturing that poor man and making him live like some child that had stolen cookies from the cookie jar. And HEY!!!!! the Amazon page says that the book is in stock! Somebody get it, and report back on what it's like. I hope she speaks about her recording process... that's what bothered me about Mary's books, too much discussion about personal relationships, and not enough about the recording.
    Last edited by jillfoster; 10-29-2010 at 08:18 PM.

topdiva1 Guest
    i'd love to see her officially OUT Luther, and then dress down every homophobe who might be reading for torturing that poor man and making him live like some child that had stolen cookies from the cookie jar. And HEY!!!!! the Amazon page says that the book is in stock! Somebody get it, and report back on what it's like. I hope she speaks about her recording process... that's what bothered me about Mary's books, too much discussion about personal relationships, and not enough about the recording.

I am sure Dionne's book will have a different tone from ANY Motown based book. Non Motown stars came from a completely different world.

I picked up the book on Saturday, but haven't really gotten around to reading it until this morning. So far, I find it very interesting. It does have a rather fast pace. I'm at page 78, and already Bacharach and David have split, and her marriage is coming apart.

She shares some of her early performing experiences on tour with Jackie Wilson and Sam Cooke in the segregated South, some of the legends she worked with like Marlene Dietrich and Frank Sinatra, as well as peers like Gladys Knight and Patti LaBelle. There's a bit about how she and Bill Elliott met. So far, nothing earth-shattering. But I haven't been bored.

topdiva1 Guest
    Great - keep us posted with your final review - I will try to pick it up today. Thanks for the heads up.

topdiva1 Guest

She will most likely not out anyone at all - and she knows plenty aboout who's in the closet STILL!!!!! Dionne is a class act all the way.

Dionne's book will not be that open. I think she rather keep some stories to herself. I guess in an attempt to not make it look like the National Enquirer. I think when artists write their own biographies, they hold back on some stories fearing their words could be twisted around. It may be like Aretha's book.

Plus she always handled things with class so I doubt any "tea" would be spilled as some folks would like to have happened. It's hard to believe it yes but '60s and '70s artists [[as well as artists from eras before then) were raised with a bit more class than those today.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Plus she always handled things with class so I doubt any "tea" would be spilled as some folks would like to have happened. It's hard to believe it yes but '60s and '70s artists [[as well as artists from eras before then) were raised with a bit more class than those today.
    Dionne Warwick was always pure class - long before many others. Warwick is more in line with say a Nancy Wilson, Diahann Carrol, Ella Fitzgerald- type - Dione put the D in Diva.