[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: James Jamerson!

Cool James Jamerson!

Hello everyone! I am a retired bassist and wanted to say how great James was and his influence on me! Like BB King, he could say more with 1 note than most folks can say with a hundred! Warmest wishes from the NH White Mountains!

I hate it when people compare Jamerson to God. I mean he's real good...but he's no Jamerson

He is the reason I`m so into Motown.

Ok , let's make this clear right now. Jamerson is ONE of the GODS of the BASS, not THE GOD of the Bass. There is no GOD of ALL BASS because music is an evolving art form in technique ,technology ,genre etc. Regardless of anything anybody may say or think ,,,,,,Jamerson IS a GOD............let's NOT .....get that twisted................

Jamerson is GOD

edafan

Amen to that..... :-)

Ok, seriously...Jamerson is not God, but the best [[and most creative) bass-player I ever heard....Home Cookin'....Fever in the funkhouse.....and all the typical Motown-hits like Bernadette etc.......the man is a genius......

Jamerson and Babbit---------Gentleman Of Distinction----- GOD

Spelled backwards is DOG

Don Of Genre

Thanks for all the comments. Kustom should reintroduce that great sounding amp with the two fifteens! I was surprised to find out last year that it had a solid state head. James is the reason that among all the basses I own, I asked my wife to make sure that I get buried with my Fender P Bass!!!

Always good to hear someone's story. Thanks for posting.

Bruh was funky as all get out mane...

Quote Originally Posted by Hulswood View Post
    Amen to that..... :-)

Ok, seriously...Jamerson is not God, but the best [[and most creative) bass-player I ever heard....Home Cookin'....Fever in the funkhouse.....and all the typical Motown-hits like Bernadette etc.......the man is a genius......
    I don't know that track mate, who done it?

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Truth View Post
    I don't know that track mate, who done it?
    James Jamerson

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    James Jamerson

Is this a James Jamerson track? or a track by another artist, that James played bass on?

The track is credited to James Jamerson.

Great sound.

It's going at a faster lick, but I hear elements of 'Home Cooking' in the basic rhythm track.

A Hank Crosby production?

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    The track is credited to James Jamerson.
    Thanks for the info.

Fever In The Funkhouse was part of a Motown experiment in part to keep Jamerson content. The project was a collaboration with Jamerson and guitarist Dennis Coffey primarily.

No pop and slap needed! Funk gets no better than this!!

supremester Guest
    During pre-RTL days, I was blasting DR&TS Ultimate Collection and pulled up to Burger King Drive Up. I get to the window and this 16 year old kid with acne and a pieced tongue looks at me and says, "James Jamerson..........!!!" I asked, "How do YOU know who James Jamerson is?" He replied, "He's God..........listen............." I think YKMHO was playing but might have been Love is Here or The Happening. Anyway, this kid was rocking out and liked the mixes [[his Supremes CD was the original #1's)

thomas96 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post
    Fever In The Funkhouse was part of a Motown experiment in part to keep Jamerson content. The project was a collaboration with Jamerson and guitarist Dennis Coffey primarily.
    I'm sure it's Eddie Willis doing the riffs on "Fever In The Funkhouse."

Ever so slightly off topic but I recently found out that Jamerson is the bassist on " You Don't Have To Be a Star[[To Be In My Show) by Marilyn McCoo and Billy Davis, Jr. When I listened again I can pick out Jamerson's bass!! His playing is the force that keeps the song moving. The producer, Don Davis who also did some work for Motown said he knew he had to inject a Motown feel to make the record a hit, so he hired Jamerson for the track. NOW I know why I've always liked the song. On the bottom end Jamerson is kickin ASS!!!!

Yes...Eddie did play the licks on FITF...

[QUOTE=LuvHangOva;190680]Ever so slightly off topic but I recently found out that Jamerson is the bassist on " You Don't Have To Be a Star[[To Be In My Show) by Marilyn McCoo and Billy Davis, Jr. When I listened again I can pick out Jamerson's bass!! His playing is the force that keeps the song moving. The producer, Don Davis who also did some work for Motown said he knew he had to inject a Motown feel to make the record a hit, so he hired Jamerson for the track. NOW I know why I've always liked the song. On the bottom end Jamerson is kickin ASS!!!![/QUOTE

Just be sure whatever device u are listening to it on has a nice strong and clear bottom end/bass respionse. Both Marilyn and Billy have "mid rangy"..and to my not especially warm voices..... "brassy" might be a better descriptive word... So what tends to stand out is mid range almost whiny tones. Then there are very well done but very apparent violins and flutes and the like on the record. A kick ass set of headphones or studio monitors really shine the light
    Jamerson's bass. Thats a shame cause all that brassy, mid range stuff over powers the bass line if you're just listening casually... But when u can hear it clearly it's some of James Jamerson's best work.
    Last edited by LuvHangOva; 09-23-2013 at 10:51 AM.

Never thought of this before, but Jamerson's influence extends into the Heavy Metal realm as well. We just published an interview with Jason Newsted, who was Metallica's bassist for over a decade. He had this to say:

Anything with James Jamerson on bass, there's no way you could do any wrong with that, because those are the records that I wore the grooves out of first as a young man, like a lot of people of my generation. But definitely the Motown thing had a lot to do with inspiring me with the bass-dominated arrangements.

Here's the full interview:
    http://www.songfacts.com/blog/interv...ex-metallica_/

Quote Originally Posted by Ndugu View Post
    Never thought of this before, but Jamerson's influence extends into the Heavy Metal realm as well. We just published an interview with Jason Newsted, who was Metallica's bassist for over a decade. He had this to say:

Anything with James Jamerson on bass, there's no way you could do any wrong with that, because those are the records that I wore the grooves out of first as a young man, like a lot of people of my generation. But definitely the Motown thing had a lot to do with inspiring me with the bass-dominated arrangements.

Here's the full interview:
    http://www.songfacts.com/blog/interv...ex-metallica_/
    The cats on the accompanying CD for SITSOM are very varied, but I if you are a student of your instrument, then you will check out those who came before you, if you are serious.