[REMOVE ADS]

Martha Reeves Live! Hull's Freedom Festival

The headline act at this year's Hull's Freedom Festival Saturday 8 September 2012 was Motown diva Martha Reeves.

Playing to a crowd of several thousand, Martha Reeves took to the stage at 9:40, Martha Reeves illuminated the outside Pier Stage opening her show with the infectious 'Heatwave' and clutching her signature tambourine. The red sequinned gown dazzled. Her two substitute Vandellas, Vanessa and Crystalla, wre radiant and had the choreoegraphy spot on. The band was tight and the atmosphere charged with people enjoying the free concert. The audience were very responsive and cheered Martha through every song.

All the hits were there, 'Honey Chile', 'Nowhere To Run', 'Jimmy Mack', 'Third Finger left Hand' before a slight change of pace and Martah did an excellent rendition of 'Something' before returning to her catalogue of hits such as 'Heatwave', 'Come and Get These Memories' with the crowd singing along, before the eagerley anticipated signature tune of 'Dancing in The Street'. Martha returned to the stage for an encore of 'Forget Me Not' and a soul medley that sadly I missed.

It was my first experience of witnessing Martha Reeves live and she didn't disappoint, There were a coupke of questionable notes but she is a professional and entertained the crowd from beginning to end.

Quote Originally Posted by tamlaUK View Post
    The headline act at this year's Hull's Freedom Festival Saturday 8 September 2012 was Motown diva Martha Reeves.

Playing to a crowd of several thousand, Martha Reeves took to the stage at 9:40, Martha Reeves illuminated the outside Pier Stage opening her show with the infectious 'Heatwave' and clutching her signature tambourine. The red sequinned gown dazzled. Her two substitute Vandellas, Vanessa and Crystalla, wre radiant and had the choreoegraphy spot on. The band was tight and the atmosphere charged with people enjoying the free concert. The audience were very responsive and cheered Martha through every song.

All the hits were there, 'Honey Chile', 'Nowhere To Run', 'Jimmy Mack', 'Third Finger left Hand' before a slight change of pace and Martah did an excellent rendition of 'Something' before returning to her catalogue of hits such as 'Heatwave', 'Come and Get These Memories' with the crowd singing along, before the eagerley anticipated signature tune of 'Dancing in The Street'. Martha returned to the stage for an encore of 'Forget Me Not' and a soul medley that sadly I missed.

It was my first experience of witnessing Martha Reeves live and she didn't disappoint, There were a coupke of questionable notes but she is a professional and entertained the crowd from beginning to end.
    Thank you tamlaUK. Your rave review has made this fan very happy. There is no one around today who can touch the First Lady of Motown Records Miss Martha Reeves on stage. Miss Reeves is beautiful inside and out and at 71 Martha sounds better than all her Motown contemporaries and puts on the best show in the world.

Thank you again.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

smark21 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Reminds me of a quote from "Steel Magnolias":

Truvy [[Dolly Parton): I bet you money she's paid five hundred dollars for that dress and don't even bother to wear a girdle.
    Clairee [[Olympis Dukakis): Looks like two pigs fighting under a blanket.

Thank you for uploading this. I was stood abput fifty foot back from here

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Reminds me of a quote from "Steel Magnolias":

Truvy [[Dolly Parton): I bet you money she's paid five hundred dollars for that dress and don't even bother to wear a girdle.
    Clairee [[Olympis Dukakis): Looks like two pigs fighting under a blanket.
    Miss Martha Reeves is 71 years old and if she doesn't want to wear a girdle on stage then that is Martha's right and she earn that right.

Maybe a girdle would affect her breathing and voice and that's why she chose not to wear one or maybe Martha Reeves just wants be be natural. Girdle or no girdle Martha is a beautiful woman with a heckova voice.

Roberta

smark21 Guest
    Another performance from Hull was uploaded. Jimmy Mack.

Another performance from Hull was uploaded. Jimmy Mack.

Thanks for posting this, smark. I like Martha's new Vandellas.