[REMOVE ADS]

Honey and the Bee's.....1970

Thasnks for posting blueskies, I'd never seen the group perform before and it was good to see them at last.

There was a C.D. of all their Josie recordings issued in 2000 by Westside in the U.K. that included "We've Got To Stey Together" which is worth tracking down .. There is a write-up about it in this blog ....

http://supersoulsisters.blogspot.co....ete-josie.html

Interestingly the C.D. booklet notes state that "We Got to Stay Together" wasn't released until 1971 it seems the song was written by William Hart of THE DELFONICS who also played guitar on and produced some of their sessions.

Roger

Dang, that was a nice find, blueskies!...
    They're not near the top of my favorite girl group but I do have two of their cds and do like this song. If I'm not mistaken it's Cassandra Wooten on lead here and the 2nd girl from the
    left is Gwen Oliver who became Mrs Fred Wesley...

splanky, Cassandra's daughter, is one of our long-term subs. She is a sweet, sweet girl and she says her mother's a minister and has her own church. I just love meeting people who are connected to the groups of my youth. I meet/run into a lot of folks like that here in Philly.

I have read that this same line up became "Ritchie Family" in a spanish soul blog. It is true...? I only knows grace to a old thread here in SDF that the lead singer is sister of Alan Felder. And hope the long expected "Phillysound: The Roots" includes the single they recorded for North Bay [[among more Philly rarities).

Cheers to all.

Manny, I'll ask the young lady that works with me if Honey & the Bees did in fact morph into the Richie family. I should see her today.

Hey, nosey, that's so cool that you make connections like that. From what I've learned
    Cassandra and Gwen did indeed become singers in The Ritchie Family. Every time I watch
    that intial video of Honey and the Bees I wish I could find footage of them singing I'm Confessing, the song that sold me on the group,or Come and Get It with it's very sexy ending...hopefully one day...anyway this gives me hope that maybe someone will turn up
    videos of singers like Patti Drew or the Dimension era Cookies performing...fingers crossed..

Thanks for posting. I did see them LIVE in '70/71 on the James Brown Show but if memory serves me right there were only 3 of them.At the time didn't know Gwen & Fred were an item. I had their [[and still do) 45 on Josie "Help Me[[Get Over My Use to Be Lover)" that made some noise on the Fla. Soul radio stations. Didn't know the Ritchie Family connection either.

Great CD's and both are available on Amazon. Good liner notes.
    Last edited by blueskies; 09-11-2012 at 12:16 PM.

Splanky, I have a little egg on my face. My co-worker's mother is Jean. Also she said Ann and Gwen were the Richie family.

My co-worker's mother is the 2nd one from the right and she said her mother designed and made all of their outfits.