[REMOVE ADS]

Brewster Projects For Sale

Many Built & Ready To Move See What's Available Now! www.BestBuyHousing.comPage 1 of 1
    DETROIT [[AP) — Detroit Mayor Dave Bing has scheduled an announcement Thursday on the future of a now-vacant housing project where singers Diana Ross and the Supremes lived before becoming Motown superstars.

A news conference is set for 10 a.m. EST at the 14-acre site of the Brewster-Douglass Homes.

Known to most Detroiters as the Brewster projects, the decades-old complex has been vacant since the last families were relocated in 2008 due to safety concerns. It consists of brick condo-like units, six-story buildings and four 14-story towers

Bing said in his State of the City address in March that the complex would be demolished by year's end to make way for redevelopment.

The Detroit Housing Commission had been seeking developers, but demolition costs at one time were estimated at $6 million or more.

Its a bit of a shame because that is a part of Detroit and Motown's history there but it is what it is. Demo cost at 6 million, I wonder what the cost would be to restore it.

The real shame was when they demolished the Donovan Building with Motown documents still inside. I heard the city of Detroit told the Motown Museum before they demolished the building to remove anything they wanted. I guess Motown didn't take them up on that offer...now the history is gone.

Another piece of Detroit history will be gone. I find it say myself

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    The real shame was when they demolished the Donovan Building with Motown documents still inside. I heard the city of Detroit told the Motown Museum before they demolished the building to remove anything they wanted. I guess Motown didn't take them up on that offer...now the history is gone.
    That's because the big project that Berry Gordy was spearheading for that site never came to fruition due to lack of funding.