[REMOVE ADS]

Motown Remembers Marvin Gaye

I have stood on the sidelines in purchasing this because since the 1986 release, some of the songs have been issued on newer collections. So while, there was some material that wasn't released, given the fact that it was only available as a pricey import on Ebay, Amazon, et al, I bidded my time. My patience was rewarded with a new copy being available for about $20.00 including shipping. Bully for me. Well not quite, I thought that my mind was playing tricks on me. At first I thought this was some international mix, not targeted to consumers in the US, or UK. Then I realized that in the 80's someone signed off on rerecording and remixing these tunes. At this point I am not sure if it more disappointing that the original tracks were not used intact, or that even in the 80's anyone thought that the tracks were good. I survived the 80's and musically the decade is lampooned, but it did have more than a few good moments. This sadly was not one of them.

I just hope that "No Greater Love" will appear in it`s original glory someday. I must admit that I found it disappointing that some songs had modern instrumentation and vocals added.

On the upside Roger, I found it a thrill to hear the original instrumental backing when these songs were subsequently issued on other releases. But I too bought this in the 80's and was left cold by the remixes.
    This album is currently available in Japan as a 'card sleeve mini lp' cd alongside, I think, Margins entire album catalogue. But it won't be one I'll buy.

The remix of Baby I'm Glad [[Things Worked Out So Well) was a minor dance club hit where I lived at the time. It had a Jamaican flair that was close to the orignal. I liked the rerecorded bass line and drums. But you gotta admit, the song was strong from the beginning and I wonder why it was vaulted for so long. It would have been a perfect addition to the Moods of Marvin Gaye LP.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 09-02-2012 at 09:08 AM.

I actually liked the overdubs on "Lonely Lover", but I must be in the minority.