[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross & Patti Labelle - I Want to know What Love Is

An awesome performance by these ladies.

Can anyone identify the stills.............after Berry, Diana, Emmanuel Lewis, Martha Reeves, Patti Labelle...............don't know all of those people. And the people that solo besides George Michael, Emmanuel Lewis, El Debarge.

Well... Mary Wells is standing next to Martha, Sam Harris is next to Mary in the hot pink, and Debbie Allen is next to him. The solo right before George Michael is Walter Orange of the Commodores. The Manhattans are standing back there, too. The Mary Jane Girls are behind El Debarge.
    Last edited by jillfoster; 08-31-2012 at 12:50 AM.

Levi Stubbs, Billy Eckstine, Thelma Houston, The Nicholas Brothers, Debarge, Little Richard ...Mavis Staples and Mary Wells.

I missed Billy Eckstine and Walter Orange; bad of me.

Is there a solo by Little Richard? I think while Patti Labelle is hugging Emmanuel?

Wasn't Patti Labelle criticized for her performance? Some of the entertainers like Mavis Staples later complained that Labelle was showing off and just hogging camera time. At one point, you could see Thelma Houston becoming frustrated when the mic was not passed to her or it was passed to her and Labelle continued to wail over her. According to folks who were there, Diana Ross did pass the mic to Patti because she [[Diana) was hoarse and Patti was a bit reluctant to take the song over, but she said later that Diana passed her the mic and she did what she does...she sang. Some people were saying Patti grabbed or snatched the mic away from Diana. She did not. Diana gave the mic to her.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 08-31-2012 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    Wasn't Patti Labelle criticized for her performance? Some of the entertainers like Mavis Staples later complained that Labelle was showing off and just hogging camera time. At one point, you could see Thelma Houston becoming frustrated when the mic was not passed to her or it was passed to her and Labelle continued to wail over her. According to folks who were there, Diana Ross did pass the mic to Patti because she [[Diana) was hoarse and Patti was a bit reluctant to take the song over, but she said later that Diana passed her the mic and she did what she does...she sang. Some people were saying Patti grabbed or snatched the mic away from Diana. She did not. Diana gave the mic to her.
    Patti was criticized for her singing during finales such as this one, and the one at LIVE AID. She said it hurt her to the point where she refused to do finales for a while.

Unfortunately, some tried to turn this Apollo performance into a Diana vs Patti thing. It didn't help that Patti has been variously quoted as saying that there was no problem at all, and at other times saying that Diana took the mike back, and it was like "Taking a lollipop away from a kid. Give me back my lollipop."

But the tape obviously shows that Diana was passing the mike around, getting a good sing along going. She had arrived at the show by helicopter after performing in Atlantic City, and was hoarse. She also didn't know all of the lyrics. If you look closely at the long shot, you can see a member of the choir giving her the words. After the show was over, Diana retaped her solo portion, as did Jennifer Holliday, who taped GIMME A PIGFOOT after missing the show altogether.

Sure, she was criticized but only by people that wanted to pick on her and make a story over nothing. She was waved over by Diana if you watch carefully ~ and selected by Diana to sing. Diana gave her the mic and you'll notice another mic was sent over to Diana by the producers via El Debarge; and you will hear the difference in sound.

You'll see how Patti, El Debarge, Walter Orange, Emmanuel Lewis and perhaps Little Richard are given the mic to sing solo sections. Too bad we didn't get Smokey or Levi in there with a solo.

Does anyone notice the tears running down Stevie Wonder's face?

One of the best performances by all the people involved. An awesome finale in every way. I didn't know Diana retaped her solo portion; but it's pretty much flawless as retaped.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Sure, she was criticized but only by people that wanted to pick on her and make a story over nothing. She was waved over by Diana if you watch carefully ~ and selected by Diana to sing. Diana gave her the mic and you'll notice another mic was sent over to Diana by the producers via El Debarge; and you will hear the difference in sound.

You'll see how Patti, El Debarge, Walter Orange, Emmanuel Lewis and perhaps Little Richard are given the mic to sing solo sections. Too bad we didn't get Smokey or Levi in there with a solo.

One of the best performances by all the people involved. An awesome finale in every way. I didn't know Diana retaped her solo portion; but it's pretty much flawless as retaped.
    I didn't know Diana's [[and Jennifer Holliday's) sections were redone until I read it in RIGHT ON! Magazine. If you look closely, when Diana is singing the verses, a single closeup of her face is all you see. To keep a single shot this long is rare. This is the retaped section.
    After she sings "In my life, there is heartache and pain...", the closeup dissolves to a group shot of the crowded stage, taped during the actual finale.

Levi did do a solo, but because Suzanne DePasse's sloppy editing skills, you only here his VERY distinct voice and the camera does not show a close up of him. They also went crazy trying to edit Mary Wilson out of this show. She performed with Stevie, The Four Tops, Smokey etc when Stevie debuted his "Part Time Lover" single. Mary is also there onstage for the finale, but we cannot see her.

Here is another memorable performance that I will not forget. Stevie Wonder joined by Boy George, Mary Wilson, Smokey Robinson, Ivory Stone, the Four Tops etc singing "Part Time Lover" live!!!

Yes, it was so poorly edited. When Diana gives Patti the microphone, the scene right before, you see Patti walking towards her, with very few people on the stage, then 2 seconds later, Patti is singing and suddenly 30 more people appear behind her.

Maybe the voice I thought was Little Richard is Levi Stubbs.

People have always wondered where Mary Wilson was; it is fairly well known she was excluded from this show by Suzanne for what happened in Motown 25. But supposedly Bill Cosy asked her on stage. I've always scanned the stage to see if you could spot her but never found her.

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    Yes, it was so poorly edited. When Diana gives Patti the microphone, the scene right before, you see Patti walking towards her, with very few people on the stage, then 2 seconds later, Patti is singing and suddenly 30 more people appear behind her.
    Interesting; this is worth a re-watch. I never thought about possible editing before.

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    Exactly and the part when El Debarge is finished, Diane calls Levi Stubbs up to the front to sing. You can see him walking around Stevie's keyboard, but you do not hear his voice until much,much later and the camera is not even on him by that point!

Maybe the voice I thought was Little Richard is Levi Stubbs.

People have always wondered where Mary Wilson was; it is fairly well known she was excluded from this show by Suzanne for what happened in Motown 25. But supposedly Bill Cosy asked her on stage. I've always scanned the stage to see if you could spot her but never found her.
    Well she is definitely in the video I just posted about and looking spectacular! There were several still photos taken of her that night at the after party with Al Green and others.

A very cool night; I now see the editing all over. But still a great show; I wish they'd left Levi in for his solo.

I do see Mary Wilson singing behind Stevie.